IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern Autumn 2015

tropicbreeze

203 mm of rain fell here in 3 days, now its getting hot again. Supposed to be 30 tomorrow. Wish it would make up its mind, I have to keep unpacking and repacking the winter clothes.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Not a pleasant night for sleeping. The wind gusts became stronger more frequent and there was thunder and lightning, short bursts of heavy rain and I suspect hail too. I expected to find one of my trees down this morning but everything was fine in my yard.

Yeah, you had the same weather system come through. After it went through SA it went down to Tassie and shook it up. One of my Eucalyptus maculata's that I planted last year that was about 2.5m tall was just snapped off at the base. I went to stand it up and it completely snapped through. The base was about 150mm thick too. Will have to put a Eucalyptus regnans in it's place then. :) None of my palms or bamboos were damaged though. Since that front we've had rain every day, with some heavy showers. The wood fire has not stopped running too.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Perfect here in se Qld currently. Big deluge of rain last week followed up by 4 or 5 very pleasant mid to high 20 degree days, no wind which means moisture is being retained well in the soil! Garden looking like it's enjoying it!

• 2 weeks later...

Brrrrrrr, winter has arrived here in seq.... 6.6 at my place this morn.... YUCK!!!

Possibly a short sharp burst of cool weather though, minimums are forecast at around 15 for next week but maximums only at around 23.... Obviously going to be some cloud cover around (of which there has been none recently)

It's very Brrrr here too Ben...10C this morning, and it is already down to 10.1C here now at 6:50pm...I think it will be like a real winter's evening...will leave my hybrid Cyrto out in it... might as well get the pain out of the way early in the season!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

5.3 here right now on my hybrid cyrto is planted so no chance of that sucker coming inside! Next few days will be interesting to see if it starts to brown off or spot up??

Got down to 8C here...I don't think that is cold enough to test mine though. Should be warmer evenings for a while now hopefully!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Adelaide received half of Mays average rain overnight. Huge thunder storm so loud some people thought it was an earthquake.

Winter is basically here now in my part of the world. Single digit minimums, days that barely reach 20C and if they do for only a few minutes. I've had the fire on for days straight this week. Looking at the 28 day rainfall forecast only 4 days have no chance of rain. Looking at it positively though, that means there are only 4 days in the next 28 when frost could likely form in the morning if it's cold enough. Not my favourite time of year. I get home at 5.10pm and the sun is virtually going down. No time to do anything outside after work except collect more wood for the fire.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Another 19mm yesterday afternoon, on top of the 9mm over the last week in showers...will keep the garden watered for a little while!

Daryl

Just continues very dry here. Although, past couple of days humidity has been back up, temps overnight dropping to around 20 to 22 and days 35 to 36. Darwin as usual has been about a couple of degrees warmer over night and cooler in the day. Models are indicating high humidity again next week and possibly some showers. But I doubt any showers will reach my place. Have been getting a bit of burning in before the bans come in, got a permit to the end of the month.

Just spent a few days at Bremer Bay which is NE of where I live about 160km up the coast. Virtually not a cloud in the sky. Cool in the night but beautiful and sunny with virtually no wind during the day. It's amazing what a bit of land to the west of you will do to clearing the clouds away. Some beautiful Kentias growing there, the odd Archontophoenix and a 50 year old clump of P dactylifera growing almost on the beach. We come back home and clouds are back to greet us.

1.6C this morning after a still cloudless night. Should be a beautiful day though.

We're supposed to be getting some rare out of season rain for the next couple of days. But so far only a bit of cloud, up to 36 yesterday, 6 am this morning at the front of my block 23.2, mid way down 22 and RH around 84%. And off the coast it's been pouring rain for the past 24 hours. Still, it is the dry season and I would mind these conditions for the whole of winter. The Pritchardia pacificas seem to be really enjoying it.

Coldest min of the year so far this morning. 1.2C and light frost on the lawn. Still it will be a beautiful cloudless day today. By 9.30am it had already hit 19.8C. A far cry from the forecast of an 9C min and 19C max with rain. The BOM is never right for this area.

I have to say I'd much rather Zig's weather than yours Tyrone!

It has been nice and mild here with the mins the last couple of nights down to 16-17C and days in the mid 20s (27 yesterday)...wish it would stay that way for the rest of winter, but we are forecast to get a cold change in the next day or two that will really herald the start of winter...

Daryl

Wonders will never cease, did end up getting some rain. Was out doing rogaining about 100 kms from home on Saturday and there was some misty rain with one small actual shower in the evening. On the rain gauge at home there was 0.4 mm. Then Sunday afternoon at home we got a brief shower of 5 mm. Looked like a typical not-very-wet wet season day. Unfortunately not enough moisture to cut back on the irrigation. This morning (first day of winter) was around 24 and maximum has only got to around 33. But looks like south easters are going to blow this all away over the next few days.

Daryl, I'd rather have Zigs weather too. It's a struggle staying motivated with your garden when you love tropicals down here. :(

Yesterday morning was 0.9C and a max of 23.3C. We had some clouds last night and a bit of rain this morning with a low of 11.1C so not too bad. The suns coming up now and no clouds so maybe it will be a warm winters day again.

I was moving some things into more protection on the weekend and my Hyophorbe indicas actually look pretty good. They're still in pots but need planting out, but I don't have the protected area in the garden for them yet.