Scot from SC

Anyone Have Information on Trachycarpus Princeps?

Scot from SC

Does anyone have information about Trachycarpus princeps?

I have heard various temperature thresholds for this palm, and I am assuming that they are prone to spear pull when young like fortuneis.

I have fortuneis, waggies, and one takil so far in my Trachycarpus collection and wanted to expand.

Thank you in advance my palm tree friends.

krishnaraoji88

I have one, its a pretty slow grower and has a few problems with leaves dying early in my area.

Scot from SC

Hmmm...I am an 8a zone, so I wonder if my winter temperatures would kill it? Are they as hardy as fortunei?

krishnaraoji88

No clue, sorry!

Palm crazy

Scott, there pretty hardy for me, just a little tender than fortunei when young. But should be ok in 8a. They like to be on the dryer side since all the ones in dry shade for me look perfect. I think its still a pretty new palm that the real cold tolerance has not been tested yet. Try one and see what happens thats all you can do for now. LOL!

• Like 1

Scot from SC

Thank you my friends. I will try one in a spot with good drainage and overhead canopy.

tank

Have had one here in the ground in North Florida for a few years. Slow grower. No problems to speak of from either the heat or the cold.

Alicehunter2000

Mine (3) just went through first winter here..... 21 low on one occasion..... no spear pulls and no real problems. Planted in dappled shade, seam to do better in my sandy soil than fortuni

TexasColdHardyPalms

I have seedlings and am very anxious to plant several in the next few years in a cold 8b.

• Like 1

tank

The silvery spotting on the leaves I believe is from the 90' loblolly pine that it is planted under and is probably some form of powdery mildew. It doesn't appear to affect the plants, other than spot the old leaves up. I'll probably hit it with some fungicide in the next few weeks to clean it up. Seranoa and Cabbage palms in natural pine flatwoods are always covered with this stuff. Seems especially bad this spring, probably because of the wet winter we experienced.

The silver under the leaves is part of the plant.

Jimhardy

This palm does not like water on the leaves are in the growth point...

The leaf damage is probably from moisture/cold or possibly sap from

the pine that turns to mold over time.

These are less hardy than Fortunei and need the spear kept dry as

well as the base when small-nice to see yours pulled through!

I baby mine more than any other palm but I was late covering

(after it snowed)and mine had some moisture in the crown,so

it got a little spear damage but does not appear ready to pull.

I think the only time to water these like other Trachys is when the temps

are 80-95F,they seem to take the heat better than some Trachys

until temps approach or exceed 100F.

Picture of mine yesterday.

000_0002_zpsgynld3fj.jpg

Edited by Jimhardy

Brad Mondel

Princeps' native habitat is very well drained. It requires well drained soil and enjoys an alkaline ph because It grows on limestone rock in the drier mountains of yunnan province in China.

Scot from SC

Thank you all for the valuable information. I find your insights about how palms fare in your yards much more insightful than just a zone designation. I appreciate all of the comments and information. By the way, the pictures are fantastic and helped me visualize the palm better than a stock photograph on a website.

Explorer

They grow them even here in The Netherlands and Belgium. And there is a faster growing hybrid available here also. That hybrid should be a nice coldhardy palm for the US I guess.

Alexander

mnorell

I have had one for a number of years up in my Natchez, Mississippi garden (9a). It is in a shady spot (probably too shady), started as basically a seedling or 4in size, and is still relatively small. I never have paid much attention to it, no fertilizer or much irrigation for that matter. It has thrived but it is just a slow, steady grower. Pretty with its unique coloration. Certainly hardier than things like T. oreophilus which I lost two or three times (then gave up), and some of the other less hardy species like T. martianus and its various forms, as they do get leaf-damage at about 20F. But T. princeps has always held up well. I think it is now three times that it has been subjected to 2-3 continuous days of sub-freezing temps with a low of about 18F. Garry Tsen at coldplant in China can give you all the information you might need to know about this species (and its forms) and cultivation requirements, if he happens to see this thread and comment. He is always very helpful on this forum.

krishnaraoji88

Mine keeps having the older leaves die prematurely. They start turning yellow at the outer edges and it rapidly progresses inwards. It only keeps about 2-3 good leaves at a time (but is slowly getting larger). Im not sure why this is happening. I just buried some pieces of concrete around it to try to alkalize the soil just in case that is the cause.

DoomsDave

Anyone know how they do in full sun?

John Case

Anyone know how they do in full sun?

Dave, I have a small seedling that continues to survive in full sun with lots of water in a sandy, well-drained spot. Its biggest challenge is to survive when my old dog step on it.....and yet a new leaf has emerged. I'll be redoing this area at the end of September and take a photo at that point. It has been in its current spot over 6 months now, taking severe abuse.......

Ben in Norcal

I have four seedlings in full sun, all summer. No issues.

DoomsDave

Good!

To

Know

Jimhardy

Heres a picture of mine from August 15,2015

aa_zpscuyj36je.jpg

Brad Mondel

Beautiful palm Jim! You must be so proud. How old is your Princeps now?

Jimhardy

Thanks

When I think of giving up doing all this every year

the Princeps and the T.ferns always are the exception.....

I would guess that Princeps is going on 8 years?

They are a little slow in pots but increase in size

and growth speed every year.

Ben in Norcal

That age looks about right - fairly consistent with the 7-year old potted specimen I picked up last weekend (separate thread on this.)

TexasColdHardyPalms

I have about 50 1g princeps. I am going to sacrifice one of them this winter to test their 8b (hopefully 9a) survivability.

Scot from SC

Please let us know how it fares and what temperature lows/duration it sees.

Palm crazy

One of mine die a few years ago as a one gallon size. It was in the open and the low was 12F for three nights. The other two are in a more protected spot and had no damage and they are drier in those areas since they have overhead canopy. Over head canopy is important for this palm if you have very wet winter and cold temps. So far the remaining two have never show’n any damage, even the tips are perfect, haven’t given them any winter protection either. When they start trunking and are more exposed that will be the real test for me.

I think this palm will be super good for dry hot climates, in full sun or shade. Much better than fortunei for those places.

Edited by Palm crazy

Jimhardy

That age looks about right - fairly consistent with the 7-year old potted specimen I picked up last weekend (separate thread on this.)

I saw that post,that is a real nice palm.

RyManUtah

Bump. How are these palms faring for everyone?