IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

There will be damage

SailorBold

Wow.. Currently getting the worst winter storm all season.. this one is a strong one. So far 3-4 inches of snow.. 1 day below freezing..

They are forecasting rain on the end of it.. and a high near 50 tomorrow. Nada was protected.

My washingtonias started growth mode... eeeg

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Not good.....the new growth will probably spear pull....not necessarily a death sentence, but not good either. We could all use some summer warmth. Get the peroxide and/or Daconil ready....too bad you couldn't protect anything so close to Spring.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I hate it for you man. You really never know what the weather is going to throw you. We're sunnier than we have been lately which is great, but still extremely chilly. Hopefully there will be no spear pull for you. Have your filifera had any damage up until this point?

Edited by smithgn

Hope it isn’t as bad as you think it might be, with spring just around the corner you’ll have some nice regrowth when the weather warms up.

Yeah, it has been a pretty mild winter, technically- here in Dallas. Sure, we've stayed in a Zone 9 as far as minimums, but the duration of cold ( thanks polar vortex!) has had this last freeze last more than a couple days ( below freezing since Thurs. midnight).

I covered my Nannorhops and even a small S. bermudana but sure the former will be dead probably. We got about 2" of snow and ice on this part of town, up to 5" in other spots.

Not like last winter's consistant hit with cold spells, but it's been cold enough to cause all big Washys to brown out that I see around town. Of course they'll survive, this happens every winter. But haven't noticed too much damage yet on exposed Butias, Jubaeas, Chaemys, Sabals, not to mention Trachys or Rhapidos- they probably like it!

Shoot, in a few more weeks it will be balmy and Florida-like. Just hope we get continued good moisture in here- fill those lakes!

yikes, good luck with everything

Thanks.. it is over...I am glad it is over. Whew.. It started Thursday evening.. snowed all night.. melted mostly Friday and then snowed all friday night again. Most of its gone now thanks to the sun breaking through. I just hope the snow cover insulated them.

Not good.....the new growth will probably spear pull....not necessarily a death sentence, but not good either. We could all use some summer warmth. Get the peroxide and/or Daconil ready....too bad you couldn't protect anything so close to Spring.

Eeeg.. how soon can one check? the temperature just hovered at 26F for hours and hours.. then dropped to 20F this morning before sunrise. Luckily it passed and its 34-36 right now ~10pm. It was dry snow.. the kind you can wipe off of a car without any ice under it.

I hate it for you man. You really never know what the weather is going to throw you. We're sunnier than we have been lately which is great, but still extremely chilly. Hopefully there will be no spear pull for you. Have your filifera had any damage up until this point?

I went to Phoenix last weekend... but when I left the temps were great low 70's.. what a difference a week can make. It wasn't forecasted either. but varying degrees of damage to filifera.. spears green after this snow Im not sure.i will have to check in a couple days. I wouldn't say that its 'unusual' for Abq to get weather like this in February.. but it was a lot of snow.. 8.6 inches or so.. that sounds like a lot.. well it is a lot.. but that's over 2 days so with the melting everyday it wasn't too too bad... mostly gone now.. and tomorrow is supposed to be 60F and sunny. which should take care of whats left.

It gave me a headache

Hope it isn’t as bad as you think it might be, with spring just around the corner you’ll have some nice regrowth when the weather warms up.

I hope so too..restless sleep- I resorted to counting sheep trying to not think about it lol.. it got down to 20F but with all of the moisture it just freaks me out.. it changed quickly- like not enough time to cover.. quickly.. We are actually just about there.. Cottonwood trees are starting to bud some other stuff too.. saw some winter jasmine a few weeks ago- tulips.. Spring is starting.. and with it was the worst snowfall all winter long.. and my coldest duration as near as I can figure.

Yeah, it has been a pretty mild winter, technically- here in Dallas. Sure, we've stayed in a Zone 9 as far as minimums, but the duration of cold ( thanks polar vortex!) has had this last freeze last more than a couple days ( below freezing since Thurs. midnight).

I covered my Nannorhops and even a small S. bermudana but sure the former will be dead probably. We got about 2" of snow and ice on this part of town, up to 5" in other spots.

Not like last winter's consistant hit with cold spells, but it's been cold enough to cause all big Washys to brown out that I see around town. Of course they'll survive, this happens every winter. But haven't noticed too much damage yet on exposed Butias, Jubaeas, Chaemys, Sabals, not to mention Trachys or Rhapidos- they probably like it!

Shoot, in a few more weeks it will be balmy and Florida-like. Just hope we get continued good moisture in here- fill those lakes!

Same here ..the ski resorts are loving it.. good snowpack. We are supposed to stay above freezing tonight.. finally.. but with the almost 9 inches of snow we got.. It couldn't be sooner. The news just reported it was the 9th snowiest in the cities history.

What a nightmare weekend. yikey

All the snow is completely gone now, even as soon as yesterday. Funny but it aint. lol

Lets hope it's gone for good. Time to do a body count lol just kidding... I suppose now you can pop some advils for your headache and relax, for now. That's what I hate about March and November. Some days have a spring feel to them, maybe even a summer feel, and then a cold front comes in and your down into the 30's again :bemused:

Edited by smithgn

Lets hope it's gone for good. Time to do a body count lol just kidding... I suppose now you can pop some advils for your headache and relax, for now. That's what I hate about March and November. Some days have a spring feel to them, maybe even a summer feel, and then a cold front comes in and your down into the 30's again :bemused:

Yepper.. I took a walk through yesterday.. (Ill get some pictures soon).. spears are all snug. Although my blue Butia the spear looks frizzled without any damage to older leaves. Most everything appears unaffected.

I don't want to jinx anything at this point but all of the hybrid stuff just wonderful.

The incredible disappearing snowfall lol..you should have seen it....flood almost. The higher sun angle is helping with warm ups and melts these events quickly thank goodness. And then a torrential downpour a few nights ago..

This winter is very very moist although the dew-point is at 0F.

Yeah, that March sun will certainly help. It stinks that you went this far with little damage and now in the beginning of March you get some notable damage. I know our winters down here are more wet and therefore more hard on palms, but hearing your hybrid stuff got through relatively unfazed further reaffirms my decision to get some more plants from Patric S. Look forward to the pics.

Edited by smithgn