IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My garden in Split, Croatia

akaranus

You have a beautiful lush garden. Great job!

Thanks Carl!

www.mediterraneannature.com

Wow thats impressive :greenthumb: :greenthumb:

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

• 1 month later...

What a amazing post!!!!!!!! That is definitely one of the most beautiful garden's and pictures ever posted on PT. The intense colors: raspberry house!!!!! and the enormous variety of colorful plants took my breath away; But I was also 'blown away' by the pictures of the city, peacock, cockatiel, love birds. the frog on the water lily and your adorable dog.

OK, the palms are also spectacular......Hurray! Hurray! Hurray!

My husband and I are putting Croatia and your garden on our 'MUST SEE'.

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Thanks Lee :winkie:

but i still think there is much more nicer gardes here than mine :)

if you ever get here i will gladly show you around!

btw i love all kind of animals in garden and around it...

Edited by akaranus

Great pics Ante, Ive never heard of anyone having a pet fox :) , amazing looking Owl :greenthumb:

Pete

post-5709-0-19238400-1434371230_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-77576600-1434371366_thumb.jp

thanks pete :)

i got that fox when hunters kill their mother, it is one of the best pet i ever had, so clever and sweet animal!

every year people bring me some small or injured animal to help or raise and return to nature, just now got two falcons that drop out of the nest...

Edited by akaranus

40072510.jpg

Is that a wisteria vine

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

nomolos yes it is, its a beauty in every garden but it started to be to much agresive and out of control with to fast growing so i cut it down, you must carefuly chose spot to plant it...

Ante, you really are a nature's friend! Nice example to everybody! :)

thanks Raf :greenthumb: ,i love to help a helpless animal and more i meet people i think i better understand animals than humans :)

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Here is few pics of the garden now, just so that you can understand how difficult was this last winter i put this first picture from the end of march, all my bigger syagrus looked like this one, we got down to 24F with wind from 150-200km/h.

sya.jpg

sube

In the mean time there was an article about our garden in local newspaper with headline garden of eden J

new.jpg

subefotos

Hi akaranus,

Thanks for the photos, I really like the style of your garden! And the Syagrus r. seem to have regenerated quite well from last winter's damage!

Vincent

www.freilandpalmen.ch - Cold-hardy palms in Switzerland and France

thanks vinc!

i hope if this winter will be average on the end of summer 2016 it will be like noting ever hapened to them...

soap ;)

vinc its not sabal its bismarckia but not fully establish yet, planted last year(on the last picture you can see bismarckia which is 4 years in ground ) ... i got some huge sabals like mauritiformis, causiarum, bermudana, blackurniana, pumos and uresana, bigest for now is one causiaram about 1m high...i cant wait to see all of them start to put some huge leaves...

Edited by akaranus

Looks great Ante! An inspiration for those of us that also live in cold weather climates!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Ah ok, looked like a Sabal to me because of the costapalmat leaves. Your younger Bismarckia looks very healthy!

first time after 4 years it start witth this normal bismarckia like leaves and bigger than leaves before, my clime is very difficult for them, lucky we got hot summers, but there is to long cold wet period from, december till march, it is 4 years in ground but it is still just an experiment when you see i am at 43° 31 north, i think it is the most northern bismarckia in the world planted outside in garden :)

Edited by akaranus

Looks great Ante! An inspiration for those of us that also live in cold weather climates!

Thanks Ben! Always trying to push limits :)

Ante,

I always admire so much those who grow the tropicals in Europe, fighting against wind, snow, drought, frizzing cold and other hazards .
I feel lazy growing my palms in the srilankan climate where Caryota seeds itself anywhere on the ground and where we never have to water;

Most important work: weeding otherwise jungle is back.

BRAVO :)

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Bravo!

Whoa, in Europe, the best palm tour of all!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ante,

I always admire so much those who grow the tropicals in Europe, fighting against wind, snow, drought, frizzing cold and other hazards .

I feel lazy growing my palms in the srilankan climate where Caryota seeds itself anywhere on the ground and where we never have to water;

Most important work: weeding otherwise jungle is back.

BRAVO :)

thanks! like you i am always dreaming about tropical rain forest and try to make my Sri Lanka here in Croatia :)

• 1 month later...

just one comparison with two videos, first winter 2012 and second today....

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...