IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My garden in Split, Croatia

akaranus

it is worth noting that snow is not a normal occurrence in Split. That snow was attraction ( like every snow that occur in Dalmatia ). Winter 2011/2012 was crazy. Snow fell that winter in some coastal parts of Greece too. :)

A beautiful garden Ante, by the way. :greenthumb:

You got a great garden there Ante!!!! :)

Excellent variety of plants and a very nice result already! Looking forward to see it mature, should get awesome fast as many of your palms are already trunking!

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

it is worth noting that snow is not a normal occurrence in Split. That snow was attraction ( like every snow that occur in Dalmatia ). Winter 2011/2012 was crazy. Snow fell that winter in some coastal parts of Greece too. :)

A beautiful garden Ante, by the way. :greenthumb:

Correction! The winter 11/12 was nothing peculiar but the constantly cold February though not freezing. It has not snowed in coastal Attica, not a single day but temps refused stubbornly to rise above 5 C for a whole month, quite remarkable. I hold the current winter by far weirder, cause we have had three consecutive extraordinary cold spells (never occured to me before) plus snow also to far southern parts of Greece (Ierapetra, Crete), while intervals were and still are spring like! That's why poplars did not shed their leaves to a significant extent despite the cold spells! Now go figure out...

Nevertheless in terms of palm mortality the winter 2004 remains still champion!

Welcome Ante K., I must say that is the nicest Mediterranean garden, I've seen to date, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

@ Alicehunter there is lot of pics before but i dont want to choke the forum, here is few more to compare

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

www.mediterraneannature.com

@Pando, Cikas, Sabal Steve , Nate, Edric thanks guys!

@ Thanks Kostas, yes there is few species starting to nicely speeding like syagrus, washingtonias, parajubeas, even some braheas.....

@ Phoenikakias i think every winter in this parts of europe is game of luck...2012 was weirder with that long duration od temepratures below zero and snow but like you said it was not the worse, more spears i lost this average wormer winter with only one night down to 25F...pulled 20spears from mostly smaller 9a palms and in 2012 with 10 days covered with snow and absolute minimum 27F pull maybe one or two on reclinata and some livistona decipiens...

• Upvote 1

More pictures of your lovely garden and city!

(You guys have a real Caesar's Palace in your town, compared to our fake one in 'Vegas.)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone!

We had one bad winter this year, from nice and worm weather it suddenly droped down to 24F for few nights, lost many spears,month after that strong wind from 150-200km/h that broke all leaves to all my bigger syagrus(they were bitten nicely from freeze so it was easier to broke them)...finally garden is awakening, some spears are coming out, and new syagrus leaves....few pics

P1130288.jpg

P1130290.jpg

P1130292.jpg

P1130295.jpg

Very nice garden great variety of palms

Did your Kentia survive the winter ?

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

thanks!

yes both of them, but they had passive protection, bigger one got more burned leaves than smaller one!?

both pushing out nice new spears...i will put some better picture of damage..

All you need is a next mild to normal winter for a complete recuperation. Same applies also on my case of course. Let us cross our fingers!

Looks great on the big screen!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Welcome aboard and thanks so much for sharing your garden! I'm crowning you the Jim Denz of Croatia!! And since you've said you've been on here for some time lurking am sure you know what a compliment that is.

What an amazing place you have created in your Zone (same as ours but fortunately the snow here when it does happen doesn't reach our home on the valley floor for more than a few hours if that generally...that was a scary photo). Great collection of palms, aloes, etc. all showcased by stunning photography. Your town shots belong in a travel magazine. Definitely need to come back and go through your photos slowly when I have more time. Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

All you need is a next mild to normal winter for a complete recuperation. Same applies also on my case of course. Let us cross our fingers!

exactly, all we need is next average winter to forget about this one :winkie:

thanks Monover, from about 30 spears pulled out half of them are coming out now, so its ok :)

thanks Alicehunter :greenthumb:

dsoap a šta čekaš lubini i komarče te zovu da ih dođeš pojist hehe

Thanks westcoastgal :)

Haha thanks for comparation with Jims tropical heaven, i am trying to create something like that here, dont we all :greenthumb: . Yes in this part of europe every winter is like russian rulet, you never know when you get a bullet :sick: lucky you for lack of snow!

best regards from split!

image.jpg

dalmacija_split_peristil_001.jpg
split.jpg
Split_Roman_walls.jpg
Edited by akaranus

Wow, its great to see Howea and Archontophoenix survive 24F in your garden!!! Mine burned a lot more from a single -3C(27F) night. How did you protect them?

thanks Monover, from about 30 spears pulled out half of them are coming out now, so its ok :)

thanks Alicehunter :greenthumb:

dsoap a šta čekaš lubini i komarče te zovu da ih dođeš pojist hehe

E a to i ne valja da dugo čeka! Tribalo bi stagod organizirat.

Wow, its great to see Howea and Archontophoenix survive 24F in your garden!!! Mine burned a lot more from a single -3C(27F) night. How did you protect them?

Kostas i build plastic greenhouse when freeze is expected soon and heat inside if it is necessary(below -2) only this year i run out of electricity at coldest night of the year :rant::) so only greenhouse whithout heating wasnt enough to full protect them without leaves burning at -4/5. Cunninghamiana had less burn leaves than howea....you can see one of the greenhouse here

11048710_1039282256085608_19374764611658

Quite some work! But it made quite a difference, so its worth it! :)

there is no other way to have 9b palms here and good looking on long term...atleast while they are still relatively young and less cold tolerant...

Ante,

Wow! I'm pretty impressed with your garden. The selection of plant material is very nice. Your water pond with the lilies....I'm jealous. Even the over look of the town near the ocean is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Incredible photos. Never thought someone could grow all these tropical looking plants in Croatia. Still in my plans to visit Split and Dubrovnik in the future. Croatian coast looks amazing...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Ante,

Wow! I'm pretty impressed with your garden. The selection of plant material is very nice. Your water pond with the lilies....I'm jealous. Even the over look of the town near the ocean is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

thanks Jeff, i am still waiting nelumbo komarovii to start with air leaves and flowers.

Hi Gileno, thanks..btw we were friends on facebook... and if you ever come here i will gladly show you interesting things around Split

Edited by akaranus

Ante Karanusic, your garden looks fabulous!

And your "blue bird" must love enjoying that green and impressive looking all around :)

Congratulations!

You have a beautiful lush garden. Great job!

Palos Verdes Estates - coastal Los Angeles - 33°45'N 118°24'W

On a cliff, 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean. Zone 10b - Sunset zone 24

Ante Karanusic, your garden looks fabulous!

And your "blue bird" must love enjoying that green and impressive looking all around :)

Congratulations!

Thanks Raf, i want that blue bird thinks it is in homeland in India :)