IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My garden in Split, Croatia

akaranus

I want to say hi to everybody once more and introduce myself…I have been reading this great forum for years . Experiences and advice here helped me a lot especialy in the beginning of my garden, in time when you read first data about some palm on the net or learn about temperature zones generally and in your area and realizing that there is much more than just few numbers that define it.

I am in Split Croatia 43.5100° N, 16.4500° E usda zone 9a/b border(every year 29-27F few nights, maybe every five year 25F for one night), we got long hot summers here with relatively lots of rain, problem is that most rain falls in winter time, so there is long cool wet period from end of decembre till march. Started my garden(got infected with palms) in 2006 with learning about importance between growing different species and temperatures, soils, water, humidity, fertilizer…in first few years lost lot of a.alexandrae, r.rivularis, howeas, dypsis…but then got smarter and started to plant more cold/sun hardy species so after first winter it finally stayed something in the garden :) . In mean time we had one nasty winter with 10 days of snow but without to many loses in 2012.There is about 50 species in the garden now mostly 9a and 9b zone which must protect from time to time. I don’t know why but somehow I am in loved in bismarckia and have opsession to grow atleast one here…so always extra monitoring posts that include that specie from people that grow it in similar climates like Axel, Alicehunter, Jim in LA, Walt, Rafael, Kostas and others :winkie: …..

Here is few pictures….. i hope you like it and hope to post soon with some bismarckia progress :winkie:

image.jpg

forum image hosting

image_1.jpg

picture share

Winter 2012

p1270473.jpg

p1270474b.jpg

p1270489.jpg

p1270493.jpg

Edited by akaranus
  • Upvote 2

www.mediterraneannature.com

What a lovely garden you have by those beautiful Adriatic waters, Ante. And welcome to PalmTalk! Please keep posting. I think your Bismarck will do just fine. I had one in Mississippi (9a) for several years and it endured some very hard freezes and cold, wet winters. It took about -7C and three days of continuous below-freezing weather to kill it. If I were you I would worry more about your Archontophoenix!

And I love your tiger but he seems to be missing a tooth...

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Fantastic garden. The snow pictures scare me!

thanks Pip!

and yes it scare me too always when i watch them... lol

Hallelujah!

Great avatar!!!

:greenthumb: bazinga... lol

NIce garden, looks very lush and romantic. You’re growing all palms and companion plants I like…very Californian. :greenthumb:

thanks, it is just a middle faze want to have very tropical rain forestan... lol

What a lovely garden you have by those beautiful Adriatic waters, Ante. And welcome to PalmTalk! Please keep posting. I think your Bismarck will do just fine. I had one in Mississippi (9a) for several years and it endured some very hard freezes and cold, wet winters. It took about -7C and three days of continuous below-freezing weather to kill it. If I were you I would worry more about your Archontophoenix!

And I love your tiger but he seems to be missing a tooth...

thanks mnorell, that is very nice to hear it is music for my ears, not that you lost yours its a pitty but that you think i will not have any bigger problems with them here, of course every few leaves new picture :)

tiger is very old for cat around 15 years so there is no more catching mices for him.. lol

Welcome to palmtalk!

Excelent tour for a beautifull and colourfull garden :)

Have you tryed dypsis decipiens?

hello Rafael my old facebook friend :) yes we are both Ante, in fact half of all men in Dalmatia are called Ante... lol

had two decipiens, lost them because to sunny spot while still young, summer heat sucked life out of them, there were no problem with winters....

Welcome Ante!Garden is fantastic :greenthumb:

Hello Trava do we know each other from somewhere :)

Edited by akaranus

Oh yeah

Need to get to Europe . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Well, i am a little bit confused, cause i always thought dalmatiansoap to be Ante Karanusic.

Btw, Ante, you are not on facebook anymore, cant see your profile lately...

Loved your garden. Thanks for sharing. I liked the juxtaposition of the waterlilies and the notocactus (lookes like a golden barrel cactus) next to it. How do you keep the cactus alive in snow? I have mine in pots and move in winter, and I don't get snow.

Can you get Sedum Nesserbaumerianum? It is a nice, golden yellow succulent. It could add some other gold accents, and is drought tolerant. I would probably throw a cover over it, if it snows. It is easy to propagate, and I have seen it look fantastic, as a swath of gold with accents of red plants within,

Oh yeah

Need to get to Europe . . . .

The best time is on the doorstep

Well, i am a little bit confused, cause i always thought dalmatiansoap to be Ante Karanusic.

Lol, no reason for confusions. I can say he is the guy that introduced me into this wonderful Palm World. He is also one of the Croatian Palm Society founders and very knowledgeable person. I'm happy to see him posting here finally.

Awesome Ante :greenthumb: great garden and welcome to Palmtalk, the Lily pond has lots of "presence".

My daughter with many friends spent 6 weeks in Europe last year and said their favourite stay for 1 week was at Hvar Croatia :)

Pete

Beautiful garden, Thanks for showing it.

thanks!

Loved your garden. Thanks for sharing. I liked the juxtaposition of the waterlilies and the notocactus (lookes like a golden barrel cactus) next to it. How do you keep the cactus alive in snow? I have mine in pots and move in winter, and I don't get snow.

Can you get Sedum Nesserbaumerianum? It is a nice, golden yellow succulent. It could add some other gold accents, and is drought tolerant. I would probably throw a cover over it, if it snows. It is easy to propagate, and I have seen it look fantastic, as a swath of gold with accents of red plants within,

thanks! mostly i got opuntias cereus echinocactus and maybe few more species there are cold hardy, some of them burn to ground when is to low but come back in the spring

have only spectabilis, i will search for this one, thanks for the advice..got some crassula that looks great also....

Welcome to PT. Very beautiful garden!

thanks for welcoming!

Nice! Quite a change.. Beautiful house too !

thanks, build it my self :)

Lol, no reason for confusions. I can say he is the guy that introduced me into this wonderful Palm World. He is also one of the Croatian Palm Society founders and very knowledgeable person. I'm happy to see him posting here finally.

i thougt it was the other way around :) atleast world of bananas... lol

Awesome Ante :greenthumb: great garden and welcome to Palmtalk, the Lily pond has lots of "presence".

My daughter with many friends spent 6 weeks in Europe last year and said their favourite stay for 1 week was at Hvar Croatia :)

Pete

thank you pete! yes she is right, at summer time hvar is magic place, two picture of hvar...

croatiahdhvar.jpg
hvar.jpg
Edited by akaranus

Ante....show everyone the "before" picture......give them an idea how much work you've done.....oops...you did already.....anymore before pics?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Wow, beautiful garden in a beautiful area. Love the range of plants you are growing as well as being able to see them "grow" before my eyes :greenthumb:

Malta - USDA Zone 11a