Sign in to follow this  
rick

Copernicia ekmanii

rick

Forgot to bring in this 1 gal Copernicia ekmanii during our quick cold snap last week. My house had a low of 35F for about 4 hours. The next day the outer leaves looked fried but the center spear and newest leaf were green. Tonight, one week later, the spear and leaf pulled. Treating it with hydrogen peroxide.

post-7458-0-79943100-1425016217_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

Phoenikakias

Wow, not cold hardy at all!

Mandrew968

Rick, looks like you learned the hard way which Copernicia is the most tender--my big one got burnt with low 40's when I first planted it. I hope for the best, but expect that to be the end...

PalmatierMeg

I've tried this species 3 times - all seedlings croaked. I replaced with C. prunifera

• Upvote 2

rick

Rick, looks like you learned the hard way which Copernicia is the most tender--my big one got burnt with low 40's when I first planted it. I hope for the best, but expect that to be the end...

Yeah tender is right the much smaller strap leaf baileys right next to this guy are totally unfazed. Im not hopeful for this one but its worth a shot to try and save it. I know larger ones can make it in Loxahatchee which gets at least as cold as me. If this one does croak I'll try again and baby it along until its got some size to it.