IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

jubaea x syagrus in the South

Tropicdoc

4 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Any current sources for smaller sizes?

Patric is the only supplier I know of.  I have this one extra in a 7 gallon that I have been considering selling but haven’t made up my mind yet since it would be so hard to get another if I needed to.  This is by far my favorite palm I have ever grown.

993C839D-F85F-40B9-B873-A143E4FC98C7.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, meteorologistpalmguy said:

Patric is the only supplier I know of.  I have this one extra in a 7 gallon that I have been considering selling but haven’t made up my mind yet since it would be so hard to get another if I needed to.  This is by far my favorite palm I have ever grown.

If you were to put that one up for sell, I can guarantee , myself or someone else around here would pay you good money for it if you so choose too. I'll starting the bidding now 375$ =) 

T J 

1 hour ago, meteorologistpalmguy said:

Curious as I think you have mules as well, how would you rate the hardiness of the JxS in comparison?

1 hour ago, RJ said:

Curious as I think you have mules as well, how would you rate the hardiness of the JxS in comparison?

I would say they are probably somewhat similar, maybe just a slight bit hardier than a mule. 

On 12/7/2019 at 8:29 PM, meteorologistpalmguy said:

Here is mine in Houston (technically Magnolia, northwest of Houston).   Second pic is when I got it from Patric in December of 2014, 1st picture is from today (was dug up and moved in early 2016). 

B18311B5-95B4-4F0C-B221-A9B33B45F045.jpeg

29D38DB2-4F4B-4DE4-ABD5-BFDE1EF9EB25.jpeg

What a nice palm Beau!

How many fronds do you get per season at you place in Texas?

Here in Switzerland with much cooler summers compared to yours I get only two to three fronds.

8 minutes ago, maesy said:

What a nice palm Beau!

How many fronds do you get per season at you place in Texas?

Here in Switzerland with much cooler summers compared to yours I get only two to three fronds.

I really haven't been keeping track... I want to say somewhere between 5-7 per year.  It slows down a bit during the peak heat here, and seems fastest growing in the Spring and Fall months.