IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Largest Copernicia fallaensis in Florida

bubba

All, If we are going to veer out into never/never land on such a quintessential topic as in Copernicia fallaensis, then I will sport this sucker up the flagpole:

(1) Please tell me if you have visited Jerome, Fl. (a) In the event you have, why and what did you see? (B) In the event you have not, what are your expectations? (Hint: You cannot be considered a true Floridian if you have not been to Jerome, Fl.) (Another Hint: True location of the fountain of ute)

All answers should be in essay form without Venn Diagrams. Thank you greatly/ Head of the Department.

What you look for is what is looking

All, If we are going to veer out into never/never land on such a quintessential topic as in Copernicia fallaensis, then I will sport this sucker up the flagpole:

(1) Please tell me if you have visited Jerome, Fl. (a) In the event you have, why and what did you see? (B) In the event you have not, what are your expectations? (Hint: You cannot be considered a true Floridian if you have not been to Jerome, Fl.) (Another Hint: True location of the fountain of ute)

All answers should be in essay form without Venn Diagrams. Thank you greatly/ Head of the Department.

Best drinking water in the state! Bubba, this truly is off topic--thanks for saving my Cuban post! lol I would love to see where you are taking us; I am cutting some holes in my bed sheets as I write this...

Andrew, Google it! (Hint-Jerome, Fl. is located between Copeland, Fl. and Deep Lake)/ Grassy

Andrew, Google it! (Hint-Jerome, Fl. is located between Copeland, Fl. and Deep Lake)/ Grassy

My last post hinted to the contamination from the lumber yard fire(which contaminated all of the drinking water) and the fact it is a ghost town--maybe my response was a bit too cryptic?..

Urk.

Janitor of the Department. :)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I agree Jody. My "so-called" Cop sueroana that I bought as a 3 gallon many years ago turned out to be not, but C. gigas. It's the only one with the yellow and brown streaks in the petiole.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

all these pic's of giant Copernicia's are making me go insane over here in California.......

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I agree Jody. My "so-called" Cop sueroana that I bought as a 3 gallon many years ago turned out to be not, but C. gigas. It's the only one with the yellow and brown streaks in the petiole.

I have been saying that for some time now, Jeff--glad to see you coming around! Amazing palm none-the-less.

this one at my sisters place is amazing

Mike, that thing is amazing!!!!!!!! You hardly ever see any gigas with trunk; they are so slow...

Gigas is probably my favorite Copernicia(in a genus that's hard to pick favorites), but this palm is so rarely seen and nearly non-existant when it comes to seeing any with size. Mike's sister's is maybe one of the biggest I have seen in cultivation(when mentioning anything to do with Mike and palms and it's likely we are talking about the best). I know it's off topic, but I feel I need to show another picture of gigas--this one in Cuba. Maybe now some of you can understand why I like this Copernicia most of all?

post-5491-0-04345900-1425651620_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

While I agree you don't see very many trunking C. gigas, I disagree that they are super slow. The plant in the attached photos grew from a 3 gallon (maybe 2' tall) to this 12' beast that is ready to trunk in only 5 years.

post-1566-0-56013800-1425652067_thumb.jp

post-1566-0-68854300-1425652072_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

While I agree you don't see very many trunking C. gigas, I disagree that they are super slow. The plant in the attached photos grew from a 3 gallon (maybe 2' tall) to this 12' beast that is ready to trunk in only 5 years.

Wait a minute--is that yellow and brown on the petiole I see? Jody--you can see the progression of mine as well--well documneted on this forum. Relatively speaking, it is one of the slower palms in the genus--no doubt.

I am not convinced that petiole coloring or patterning is diagnostic in any species of Copernicia. I have seen too much variation.

I am not convinced that petiole coloring or patterning is diagnostic in any species of Copernicia. I have seen too much variation.

Me neither.

Andrew, I greatly appreciate your initiative in lighting up this Florida Copernicia thread. You have brought in the "Whose Who" of the epic and legendary cutting edge Florida growers. Your deep, way under the radar, Jerome comment caught me slick to roses.

Nearly brought a tear to the eye of the head of the department.

Andrew, I greatly appreciate your initiative in lighting up this Florida Copernicia thread. You have brought in the "Whose Who" of the epic and legendary cutting edge Florida growers. Your deep, way under the radar, Jerome comment caught me slick to roses.

Nearly brought a tear to the eye of the head of the department.

First a great weekend with the family and now Bubba's comment?! Thanks friend :blush2:

Gee, how can we make this thread better? Add more Fallaensis pics! These are the biggest at Fairchild and the same ones I got married under :blush2:

post-5491-0-26762000-1426086451_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-65814700-1426086457_thumb.jp

Andrew, I feel like I am working you like a Government Mule! I thought the largest Copernicia f. was located near the Copernicia b's at Fairchild.Where in Fairchild are those beauties located? Thank you Head of the Jerome Sanitation Department

Bubba, when they open the gates for the over flow of traffic, make your first left, once through the iron gates. Go about a fifth of a mile and make your next left--that's two lefts. You are now on a road that leads to a service entrance. Before you get to the gates of the service entrance, look over to your right and you can't miss them! Three monsters that have the coolest sound when you slap the trunks(kinda like testing the ripness of a watermelon, but that's a thump...). There is another smaller one to the left of the three monsters--it's fronds have not gone diamond shaped yet. Let me know if you ever want to meet up one day, Bubba! I know the place pretty well ;)

• 1 year later...

wow!!!!

I need to get over there sooner than later

• Like 1

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Josh-O said:

wow!!!!

I need to get over there sooner than later

My son and i visited earlier this year. Copernicia's are in the background. I highly recommend making the trip.

20161231_231248.jpg

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

My son and i visited earlier this year. Copernicia's are in the background. I highly recommend making the trip.

20161231_231248.jpg

great picture!!!

• Upvote 3

Sunset zone 24

It never gets old looking at pictures of this caliber!  Your kid looks so small compared to that giant palm to the left?

happy new year!!!

Sunset zone 24

My fallaensis is just 18-20' overall but has a nice thick crown of huge leaves(~25 leaves that are 7-8' across).  the size rivals my bismarckia.  Courtesy of Ken Johnson, planted sept 19 2011.  It is less nutrient sensitive than my bailey, though its also a pretty heavy feeder.  I only feed 2x a year with ~ 10 lb florikan palm special(time release).

fallaensis_snip.PNG

• Upvote 3

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Here is another pic of the fallaensis with my 10' overall bailey from katherine in myakka in the foreground. At 6' tall  I can almost walk under the bottom leaves on the fallaensis(5 1/2).  the fallaensis is just starting to trunk(6" clear) and drop its leaf bases.fallaenase_bailey-snip.PNG

• Upvote 3

Tom Blank

Gawd I'm glad this thread got bumped.  The big Copernicia are probably my all time favorite palm.  All I've been able find are a couple of albas, and the can't hold a candle to the big guys.  Thanks Zeeth! 

Thanks Mike,

I also have plenty of palms I got from you including some alfredii that are getting big(close to 20'), a nice tribear with 4-5' clear trunk and a 12' overall kentiopsis O, all saw the 2010 freeze as small 3-7 gallon size plants.  My kentiopsis O from Ken are 8-12 of clear trunk now...   My yard is a testament to palm people like you and ken that I have met here on palmtalk.  I work in berkeley, california so I only get to see my palms 2x a year...  Hopefully I can get back here full time in a few years.  I cant even imagine how your amazing garden has changed since its been 4-5 years.   

Tom Blank