IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mule palm update after this mild winter.

Palm crazy

Winter is pretty much over here, so here’s an update of my Mule palm BxQ that has been in the ground for 6 years, planted as a two strap leaf palm. Needed no protection this winter. Because it is growing under neath another tree the leaves are very long & lacy. Thanks for looking…..let the 2015 growing season begin.

DSC00010_zpsph3syy8p.jpg

Good for you, I hope it continues to prosper. Hopefully, it can use these years to get bigger and more able to protect itself from future winters that may not be as mild as the one you had this past year. This is next on my list to get- hard to believe I don't have one yet.

Beautiful seedling you have. What usda zone are you in?

I garden is zone 8a, but most winters are 8b, for that reason I keep a close eye on the weather in winter.

Good for you, I hope it continues to prosper. Hopefully, it can use these years to get bigger and more able to protect itself from future winters that may not be as mild as the one you had this past year. This is next on my list to get- hard to believe I don't have one yet.

Scott it’s a very easy to grow palm and yes you have to get one…. 4-5 years ago we had a really bad February when the temp went to 15F, so I feel sorry for you guys this year having to deal with this very cold month. But it should start to warm up for you guys pretty good after this week. I actually saw a tropicanna starting to regrow in the south facing yard. I already have some tender pants outside already for the spring. Lots of perennial are up and growing to.

A few more palm pics.

New butia leaf opening.

DSC00013_zpsxr4nprea.jpg

JxB.

DSC00091_zps591ekmur.jpg

New cordyline Cha Cha.

DSC00003_zpsoatme6rx.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Palm crazy

Haha- Sa'll good!

I actually read a Yahoo! article a few days ago about the rapid warm up of the Pacific northwest and the mild winter you guys have had. Made me think of you and your garden. Everything is cyclical so hopefully one year we'll have a winter that's mild. Like I always say, I picked a heckuva year (last year) to start growing palms as a hobby. But if I can make it through this, then I'll be okay for almost anything mother nature throws at me.

BTW, I've never seen a butia's leaf bases/boots as green as yours in the first pic.

Edited by smithgn

BTW, I've never seen a butia's leaf bases/boots as green as yours in the first pic.

Is it a Butia yatay? That's a characteristic of them.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Is it a Butia yatay? That's a characteristic of them.

I think it just a regular butia capitata; yatay has much more upright - curved leaves and is slower growing. It is an interesting looking butia.

SEATTLE (AP) — Flowers are blossoming. Bees are buzzing. The sky is blue. Sunsets have been stunning. Temperatures have crept north of 60 degrees, and joggers are going shirtless….every time the east coast gets cold this happens. The NorthEast is paying for winning the super bowl. LOL!

Bananas are growing again and flowers are a blooming.

DSC00004_zpshxp4krto.jpg

DSC00019_zpsztrt0x3e.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Wow, that's 6 years old eh? Cool you can grow it in your climate, the PNW climate must slow it down some. I bought a small strap leaf mule palm in 2013 from penny's palms and it's pushing itself up out of a 5 gallon with pinnate leaves.. really surprised.. never had a palm this enthusiastic.. I gotta plant it in ground

Thanks for posting, your place is beautiful! love the tropical look!

Wow, that's 6 years old eh? Cool you can grow it in your climate, the PNW climate must slow it down some. I bought a small strap leaf mule palm in 2013 from penny's palms and it's pushing itself up out of a 5 gallon with pinnate leaves.. really surprised.. never had a palm this enthusiastic.. I gotta plant it in ground

Thanks for posting, your place is beautiful! love the tropical look!

Dan thanks, but this palm is growing in to much shade, so it very slow growing. Maybe 3-4 hours of sun, but that shady spot is also helping to protect it. Double edge sword.

Grevillea ‘poorinda leane’ getting ready to bloom.

DSC00029_zpsvklvwfdj.jpg

A little sun at noon today.

DSC00013_zpsmj2sjzgl.jpg

Mule palm is looking good

Here is mine

I planted it from a small 3 leaf tube was as tall as a pencil 3 years ago very fast grower for me .

post-1252-0-20968500-1424688464_thumb.jp

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Mule palm is looking good

Here is mine

I planted it from a small 3 leaf tube was as tall as a pencil 3 years ago very fast grower for me .

attachicon.gifIMG_6771.JPG

NIce looking Mule Troy. Another nice sunny day here in PNW…pretty soon the peach tree will be in bloom. Lots of stuff growing now.

BTW anyone reading this I had a frost here a few days ago….60f/28F below freezing for a few hours, well it still is February!

Palm crazy- Don't ya wish the weather would make it's mind up? Well, down our way it seemingly has. We got less than an inch of snow early this morning (didn't stick) and we're expecting more tonight. For now, I'll live vicariously through your pictures lol

Nick I hope it warms up for y’all very soon. Were headed for a day or two of rain and then back to some sunshine for the weekend. It been a very dry sunny February here.

Here’s a few updated photos of the garden from last weekend. Funny we didn’t get any of the white stuff this year.

Another month and these plants will all have new foliage on them.

DSC00021_zps5ymk6tpo.jpg

Some silver palms.

DSC00036_zpsyjmk52e9.jpg

This christmas poinsettia has been outside for about a month…still can’t decide what to do with it.

DSC00039_zpsj9iifdfd.jpg

Stay warm! I’m actually watching the movie “Day after tomorrow” somehow it fitting, lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPNj7lsbHXI