IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis prestoniana Year by Year

Kim

Thanks to palmislandRandy's great thread about the explosive growth of his D. prestoniana, plus Philippe's Bentinckia nicobarica series, I was inspired to go back and dig up photos from the past. This series of photos shows my one Dypsis prestoniana each year since planting.

March 12, 2010

post-216-0-20026900-1424226744_thumb.jpg

February 8, 2011

post-216-0-23246800-1424226927_thumb.jpg

January 6, 2012

post-216-0-12783800-1424227017_thumb.jpg

June 30, 2013

post-216-0-34216200-1424227025_thumb.jpg

July 18, 2014

post-216-0-51709800-1424227034_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

On February 14, 2015, the gusting winds dislodged a leaf base, and check out this color! :bemused:

post-216-0-57118300-1424227462_thumb.jpg

post-216-0-81242200-1424227452_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Geeze......that thing is huge!!!!!! I'm gonna show this thread to mine......a role model.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

post-216-0-81242200-1424227452_thumb.jpg Kim, Explosive is an "understatement", WOW, that growth is Phenomenal at a Paranormal rate. Amazing, amazing, amazing :greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb: Pete :)

• Upvote 1

Fast palm. Hoping my two babies get moving. Thanks for posting another cool "stages of growth" thread.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Very nice indeed! I should do this too. I just noticed mine has pushed more trunk/up and out recently. I don't get Hawaii speed, but am happy. :)

Is it time for a Lemur thread from you yet Kim? *wink, wink*

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Nice time documentary Kim. What a beauty! I have some small ones I am trying in central Florida, Cannot wait yo see how they turn out. Thanks for posting.

This Dypsis prestoniana has certainly done exceedingly well since it was planted almost five years ago. :) It is one (of many) that I bought from Floribunda/Jeff Marcus in early 2006 in 4 inch pots. In other words, fairly small. I grew them up to 5G and 15G size before selling them. When the nursery was liquidated in early 2011 I kept a number of the remaining ones and now have nine in the ground here. As with many palms, growth rate varies within the species, but Kim's has definitely been one of the faster ones. :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(said in a faint, childish squeak):

Mommy . . . it's not going to eat me, is it?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave, the palm won't eat you, I promise. :lol2:

I knew this crowd would appreciate the growth of this palm -- it surprises me every time I come back to stay. When I have to be indoors working on the computer, the D. prestoniana is the view out my window, along with a group of D. mirabilis that have grown from knee-high to overhead, and a D. canaliculata that is trying its best to keep up with its cousin, the prestoniana.

I had no idea it would show off this kind of color -- do any of you have that rusty orange on your prestoniana? Admittedly, I haven't seen all that many truly mature Dypsis, so it's all new and exciting to me. :)

Speaking of fast, one of Bo's several D. prestoniana is racing ahead of all the others in the group, trying to catch up with this one. There is definitely some variability in the growth, no clear reason. But I can say the same thing for my group of 3 Clinostigma samoense -- one has always been the monster of the trio. I guess like a litter of puppies, some are bigger than others.

Kim Cyr

George,

Looking pretty perfect there in your Kona sun, and great to see a lot of color! Probably more of that as time goes by. :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Mine might be that large in ten more years.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Kim-

just taking a wild guess - how big would it be - had it been planted at your place in San Diego ?

Edited by trioderob

i really couldn't say. People are growing them in San Diego, look into BS Man's posts.

Kim Cyr

I would bet roughly twice as fast in Kims locale. The real slow time is getting a frond to about 3-4' long. once at that size they grow pretty quick. Mine is pushing 8-9' fronds and when the spear is just starting to open, the next spear is already 5' long when it separates.

Mine is currently about the size of Kims in 2013.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Oh yeah, to echo one thing similar to Kims... she looks out the window and gets to see it when working. Mine is next to my driveway at the street... I get to see it everytime I come home... it constantly surprises me how fast and easy it has been to grow.

simply unbelievable speed of growth Kim !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I would bet roughly twice as fast in Kims locale. The real slow time is getting a frond to about 3-4' long. once at that size they grow pretty quick. Mine is pushing 8-9' fronds and when the spear is just starting to open, the next spear is already 5' long when it separates.

Mine is currently about the size of Kims in 2013.

I would also guess that the palm is twice as fast in Hawaii compared to California. I purchased a small seedling from Floribunda in 2006, possibly even from the same batch as Kim's palm. I grew the palm up to a decent sized 5-gallon, and then planted it in the ground in 2010. Here are a couple of photos I took of the palm this morning. It seems like it's roughly the size that Kim's palm was in 2010, so 9 years in California is more or less equivalent to 4 years in Hawaii. Based on that growth rate, hopefully mine will be as large as Kim's in about 10 years! Mine also seems to have a bit of orange in the crownshaft....

post-74-0-35041300-1424532679_thumb.jpg

post-74-0-66736600-1424532835_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Wow, Jack, your garden is really blowing up! Nice matching your outfit to the crownshaft. :mrlooney::winkie:

Dr. George, your palm is looking awesome!

This looks to be a palm that grows fast enough on the mainland to give everyone a good feeling of accomplishment. We should be seeing more of these in everyone's gardens. :yay::greenthumb: :greenthumb: :greenthumb:

Kim Cyr

I push them as much as I can possibly do! :) I finally have one in a prime spot here at the nursery that's really growing fast, in the full sun. I am now getting people to notice it and ask about it.

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.