Kim

Dypsis prestoniana Year by Year

Kim

Thanks to palmislandRandy's great thread about the explosive growth of his D. prestoniana, plus Philippe's Bentinckia nicobarica series, I was inspired to go back and dig up photos from the past. This series of photos shows my one Dypsis prestoniana each year since planting.

March 12, 2010

post-216-0-20026900-1424226744_thumb.jpg

February 8, 2011

post-216-0-23246800-1424226927_thumb.jpg

January 6, 2012

post-216-0-12783800-1424227017_thumb.jpg

June 30, 2013

post-216-0-34216200-1424227025_thumb.jpg

July 18, 2014

post-216-0-51709800-1424227034_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kim

On February 14, 2015, the gusting winds dislodged a leaf base, and check out this color! :bemused:

post-216-0-57118300-1424227462_thumb.jpg

post-216-0-81242200-1424227452_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

OverGrown

Wow! I need a few of these!

realarch

Geeze......that thing is huge!!!!!! I'm gonna show this thread to mine......a role model.

Tim

Pedro 65

post-216-0-81242200-1424227452_thumb.jpg Kim, Explosive is an "understatement", WOW, that growth is Phenomenal at a Paranormal rate. Amazing, amazing, amazing :greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb: Pete :)

• Upvote 1

Walter John

Fast palm. Hoping my two babies get moving. Thanks for posting another cool "stages of growth" thread.

BS Man about Palms

Very nice indeed! I should do this too. I just noticed mine has pushed more trunk/up and out recently. I don't get Hawaii speed, but am happy. :)

Is it time for a Lemur thread from you yet Kim? *wink, wink*

Rafael

Spectacular growth rate and colour!

Thanks for sharing such amazing visuals, Kim :)

Mike Evans

Nice time documentary Kim. What a beauty! I have some small ones I am trying in central Florida, Cannot wait yo see how they turn out. Thanks for posting.

Mandrew968

That palm is Hoooooge!

humangenomaproject

That thing's a beast!

colin Peters

Ok, thats crazy. Love your posts Kim.

aloha

bgl

This Dypsis prestoniana has certainly done exceedingly well since it was planted almost five years ago. :) It is one (of many) that I bought from Floribunda/Jeff Marcus in early 2006 in 4 inch pots. In other words, fairly small. I grew them up to 5G and 15G size before selling them. When the nursery was liquidated in early 2011 I kept a number of the remaining ones and now have nine in the ground here. As with many palms, growth rate varies within the species, but Kim's has definitely been one of the faster ones. :)

DoomsDave

(said in a faint, childish squeak):

Mommy . . . it's not going to eat me, is it?

humangenomaproject

Yous funny Dave

Kim

Dave, the palm won't eat you, I promise. :lol2:

I knew this crowd would appreciate the growth of this palm -- it surprises me every time I come back to stay. When I have to be indoors working on the computer, the D. prestoniana is the view out my window, along with a group of D. mirabilis that have grown from knee-high to overhead, and a D. canaliculata that is trying its best to keep up with its cousin, the prestoniana.

I had no idea it would show off this kind of color -- do any of you have that rusty orange on your prestoniana? Admittedly, I haven't seen all that many truly mature Dypsis, so it's all new and exciting to me. :)

Speaking of fast, one of Bo's several D. prestoniana is racing ahead of all the others in the group, trying to catch up with this one. There is definitely some variability in the growth, no clear reason. But I can say the same thing for my group of 3 Clinostigma samoense -- one has always been the monster of the trio. I guess like a litter of puppies, some are bigger than others.

Dr. George

This one is from the same litter (pics taken Fall 2013) - gmp

post-3609-0-62044000-1424360945_thumb.jp

post-3609-0-85413900-1424360956_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

bgl

George,

Looking pretty perfect there in your Kona sun, and great to see a lot of color! Probably more of that as time goes by. :)

Bo-Göran

tikitiki

Mine might be that large in ten more years.

trioderob

Kim-

just taking a wild guess - how big would it be - had it been planted at your place in San Diego ?

Edited by trioderob

Kim

i really couldn't say. People are growing them in San Diego, look into BS Man's posts.

BS Man about Palms

I would bet roughly twice as fast in Kims locale. The real slow time is getting a frond to about 3-4' long. once at that size they grow pretty quick. Mine is pushing 8-9' fronds and when the spear is just starting to open, the next spear is already 5' long when it separates.

Mine is currently about the size of Kims in 2013.

BS Man about Palms

Oh yeah, to echo one thing similar to Kims... she looks out the window and gets to see it when working. Mine is next to my driveway at the street... I get to see it everytime I come home... it constantly surprises me how fast and easy it has been to grow.

Danilopez89

Nice palm! I really enjoy these time lapse growth threads. Especially with "cool looking" palmtrees.

Tassie_Troy1971

simply unbelievable speed of growth Kim !

elHoagie

I would bet roughly twice as fast in Kims locale. The real slow time is getting a frond to about 3-4' long. once at that size they grow pretty quick. Mine is pushing 8-9' fronds and when the spear is just starting to open, the next spear is already 5' long when it separates.

Mine is currently about the size of Kims in 2013.

I would also guess that the palm is twice as fast in Hawaii compared to California. I purchased a small seedling from Floribunda in 2006, possibly even from the same batch as Kim's palm. I grew the palm up to a decent sized 5-gallon, and then planted it in the ground in 2010. Here are a couple of photos I took of the palm this morning. It seems like it's roughly the size that Kim's palm was in 2010, so 9 years in California is more or less equivalent to 4 years in Hawaii. Based on that growth rate, hopefully mine will be as large as Kim's in about 10 years! Mine also seems to have a bit of orange in the crownshaft....

post-74-0-35041300-1424532679_thumb.jpg

post-74-0-66736600-1424532835_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kim

Wow, Jack, your garden is really blowing up! Nice matching your outfit to the crownshaft. :mrlooney::winkie:

Dr. George, your palm is looking awesome!

This looks to be a palm that grows fast enough on the mainland to give everyone a good feeling of accomplishment. We should be seeing more of these in everyone's gardens. :yay::greenthumb: :greenthumb: :greenthumb:

Jeff Searle

I push them as much as I can possibly do! :) I finally have one in a prime spot here at the nursery that's really growing fast, in the full sun. I am now getting people to notice it and ask about it.

• Upvote 1

Kostas

Awesome Kim!!! Its gotten huge and impressive! :)