IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yet another Sabal ID thread!

John Case

A local nursery has abut 15 of these,...which appear to me to be Sabal sp.,

Since we don't see many of them out here and there is no label, can anyone give a positive ID?

Many thanks in advance,

JC

post-646-0-14051800-1423683879_thumb.jpgpost-646-0-37685400-1423683884_thumb.jpg

post-646-0-51705200-1423683887_thumb.jpg

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

John, I'm yanking out the decent size Sabal in my yard this weekend. If you are interested in trying to save it, let me know.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

John, I'm yanking out the decent size Sabal in my yard this weekend. If you are interested in trying to save it, let me know.

I'll be glad to help save it...and donate it to the DIG plant sale in Brentwood on Mother's Day Saturday!.

I'll even get you a donation letter from a 501c3 organization for write off!

Thanks!

John Case

Brentwood CA

maybe sabal minor

They may be, but look to me to be the wrong color. I have one that is more of a gray green than the yellow green these are,...but I am not sure.

Many thanks,

JC

John Case

Brentwood CA

Cool, PM me when you know what your weekend looks like John. Am getting a palm delivery Saturday morning so I will be here most of the weekend planting!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

John, Picture # 1 (center) and #2 looks a ton like Sabal Pumos. If you have not bought it yet grab it. They are very hard to find!!

I have some in 15 gals and they look just like the one in your pictures.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

John, Picture # 1 (center) and #2 looks a ton like Sabal Pumos. If you have not bought it yet grab it. They are very hard to find!!

Pounce on the pumos post-1729-0-50898000-1423823150_thumb.jp

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Pounce on the pumos attachicon.gifpounce.jpg

nice one Moose :floor::greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Josh,

Thanks for the ID....I'll proceed from here

Konstantinos, could only be 2 types of Sabal, as #1 and #2 are the same plant, I just wanted to show the leaf structure in more detail. The 3rd,...I'll see.

wondering if there is some hybridization in this collection......

John Case

Brentwood CA

Wait, don't close the thread yet, I still have 20 or 30 Sabals to tag on here for an ID. Here, can you ID all of these?

post-1207-0-32361200-1423865755_thumb.jp

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Wait, don't close the thread yet, I still have 20 or 30 Sabals to tag on here for an ID. Here, can you ID all of these?

Those must be Sabal riverside! :floor:

Ben Rogers