IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mid Feb Arctic Blast - Fear in your heart

_Keith

Cape Coral forecast for Friday morning:

Weather.com Mostly clear, low 34, winds N at 10-15 mph

NOAA Mostly clear, with a low around 35. North wind 8 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph

Not too bad as long as it does not drop any lower and the wind stays up.

They just revised the temps for the better, I like upward trends, now if we can keep up with that upward trend to a degree every few hours! :)

Weather.com 35

NOAA still at 35

Accuweather 36

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

According to Weather.com lows for zip 33990:

Thu - 45

Fri - 35 (!!!)

Sat - 47

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Another cold night here at 35F. On a positive note we have had so many record highs in the west I have lost count. 60F today. Hope it warms up for you guy and gals back east soon.

Not predicted but none the less, light sleet falling, temp 38 at 9:15am

Ed in Houston

Ed, we got lucky again as it went east to poor David.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Okay, so the NWS just bumped up our coldest morning (Friday morning) from 32F to 35F for the Orlando area. After all the ups and downs in the forecast over the last 5-7 days, I will give my prediction for the lows in my area. Downtown Orlando including the Executive Airport will reach 36-37F on the coldest night. The inner suburbs will be 34-35F while the outskirts of town will be 32-33F. Rural areas well away from town could be anywhere from 27-32F. This is based on a number of similar past events over the past 5-8 years. However, since this looks to be an advective (breezy) event, there may only be a 1-2F difference between urban and rural areas at most, with a more regular temperature gradient from north to south. We shall see, but either way, we will most likely not have to worry about a freeze here.

Weather. com has me at 27 on Thursday night and Weather.gov has it at 24!!! :crying:

While usually we are a few degrees warmer this is going to be a big shock as we've yet to have anything but frost in my location (the bananas are just burnt on top and the papayas are still with green leaves)

So much for spring starting early...

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I will accept everyone's pity..........you can throw me a pity party!

43 and drizzle rain here at 2:30 in the afternoon.

Just checked....they bumped me back up a little bit 33, 29,30 and 34,30,32 from two weather stations to the east and west of me. The big factor this go around is that everything is wet right now...if we can get through tonight without freezing, we should dry out some tomorrow. Still pretty miserable for this late in February.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Okay, so the NWS just bumped up our coldest morning (Friday morning) from 32F to 35F for the Orlando area. After all the ups and downs in the forecast over the last 5-7 days, I will give my prediction for the lows in my area. Downtown Orlando including the Executive Airport will reach 36-37F on the coldest night. The inner suburbs will be 34-35F while the outskirts of town will be 32-33F. Rural areas well away from town could be anywhere from 27-32F.

spot on

Brevard County, Fl

All the stations agree for my area, and it hasn't been changed in a few days. Looks like I'll be getting around 37 F on Friday morning, colder than the previous low this winter by 3 degrees. My area has never recorded a zone 11 winter in the 70 years that the station has been active, so I shouldn't be too surprised.

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Currently looking at 36F for Thursday night.. and breezy. Won't be surprised if we don't reach 39F... At most, perhaps some wind burn but not expecting frost to be a threat. Back to 74F Sat and .. MID 80's ..right around the first if the current forecast holds. Get ready for a growth explosion.

-Nathan

Okay, so the NWS just bumped up our coldest morning (Friday morning) from 32F to 35F for the Orlando area. After all the ups and downs in the forecast over the last 5-7 days, I will give my prediction for the lows in my area. Downtown Orlando including the Executive Airport will reach 36-37F on the coldest night. The inner suburbs will be 34-35F while the outskirts of town will be 32-33F. Rural areas well away from town could be anywhere from 27-32F. This is based on a number of similar past events over the past 5-8 years. However, since this looks to be an advective (breezy) event, there may only be a 1-2F difference between urban and rural areas at most, with a more regular temperature gradient from north to south. We shall see, but either way, we will most likely not have to worry about a freeze here.

I hope your prediction prevails. NWS had been calling for a low of 30 Friday morning in Highlands County but bumped it up to 32 degrees earlier today during the hours of 6 a.m. to 8 a.m., with 8-9 MPH wind coming from straight north. If my place sees that forecast I will be happy, as 32 with light wind should prevent frost accumulation and there shouldn't be dry wind desiccation of foliage.

Mad about palms

I ran our sprinklers this morning and we're getting a pretty good downpour now so the palms won't go through this cold spell thirsty. My coconuts are the only thing I worry about because I transplanted them in January, but I think they should be alright.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Today has been trending upward. Started this morning with a forecast for Thursday morning at 28 then to 31 and now to 33. I will take the 33, but it's been a dang chilly February. And January wasn't really considered warm. Starting to get casualties on some of the potted seedling stuff.

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

The local weathermen are forecasting for tonight across the Houston area lows of 32-35. The sky is clear and the wind is calm with the dew point at 31. Could be pretty frosty in the morning. After that a nice warm up.

Ed in Houston

Covered everything anyways....except the big Bizzy

I have been downgraded to 39F

I'm at 40 F, my lowest low in 5 years. Got some tender stuff that has not had the advantage of hardening off during that period. There will be no casualties, just some unhappy plants that will not look good until the rains come. Keith is right - get everything hydrated.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I see that Key West, FL is forecast to dip as low as 52 degrees Fahrenheit/11 degrees Celcius on the coldest night of the entire year, Thursday night/early Friday morning. That may be quite cold for Key West, but it's not what we consider cold up in northern Florida.

My plane lands in Chicago when this super cold dip is happening early Friday morning. It will be -7 Fahrenheit/-22 Celcius in Chicago when I land. I will be the only one walking around the streets of Chicago in -22 Celcius.

Heart stopping numbers from the 6PM GFS MEX model.....

Daytona Beach 26

Fort Myers 30

Gainesville 15

Jacksonville 17

Melbourne 25

Miami 41

Naples 36

Orlando 28

Pensacola 28 and 31 (2 nights)

St. Augustine 26

St. Petersburg 37

St. Petersburg (Albert Whitted) 41

Sarasota 30

Tampa 28

Vero Beach 26

West Palm Beach 36F

Winter Haven 27

I sure hope the model is suffering from delusion. The numbers trended much colder in just 24 hours which makes the model suspect right now.

I just checked the NWS yearly low temp summaries for my hometown of Tampa. Since 1895, Tampa has fallen below 30F once on or after February 20th and that was in 1967. I hope a repeat is not in the making.

• Upvote 1

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you Floridians should check the forecast again. It changed across the whole northern Florida region within the past hour. Now Tallahassee is getting 23 F on Thursday night and so are Gainesville and Jacksonville. This is a sharp downgrade from the 26 degrees expected two hours ago -- not that I would want 26 degrees, but for the coldest night of the entire year, I would accept it for an hour. 23 F is a totally different game. This is going to be a real hardiness test for what I'm growing, especially now that much of it has no overhead protection/canopy, as of recently.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for a forecast upgrade in 24 hours. With these fluctuations, I won't be surprised if they upgrade it again.

Heart stopping numbers from the 6PM GFS MEX model.....

Daytona Beach 26

Fort Myers 30

Gainesville 15

Jacksonville 17

Melbourne 25

Miami 41

Naples 36

Orlando 28

Pensacola 28 and 31 (2 nights)

St. Augustine 26

St. Petersburg 37

St. Petersburg (Albert Whitted) 41

Sarasota 30

Tampa 28

Vero Beach 26

West Palm Beach 36F

Winter Haven 27

I sure hope the model is suffering from delusion. The numbers trended much colder in just 24 hours which makes the model suspect right now.

I just checked the NWS yearly low temp summaries for my hometown of Tampa. Since 1895, Tampa has fallen below 30F once on or after February 20th and that was in 1967. I hope a repeat is not in the making.

some of those will set all time records for the month!

Brevard County, Fl

I got down to 41.3F this morning, with a high of 60.6F today. The airport got down to 39F with a high of 57F. The normal high at the airport is 71F and the normal low is 51F. I am at 48.2F right now at 9:47pm. They are predicting the airport to get down to 34F tomorrow morning, but here in Flour Bluff, they are predicting the Naval Air Station (about 2.5 miles north of me) to only get down to 42F tomorrow, which means I shouldn't get below 40F or 41F here. I sure hope my three Green Malayans pull through. If not, I will replace them with pure Mexican Talls if I can get them or pure Jamaican Talls, if any of you guys in Central, FL have some sprouted nuts you could send me.

My gut feels like it is going to get 40F-41F here with 37F in Orlando and 38F in Melbourne. I've called these things before.

• Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

We're down to 21 now :crying: Coldest in several years. So much for the warm winter...

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

New Port Richey is now trending down, BELOW freezing. WU has me at 29F while NWS is at 31F and local forecasts at 32F. Definitely record-breaking cold and one of the latest freezes of this century. No freezes, not even close, until now? Just ruins the winter! We are having nice growth. Scramble with the frost cloth tomorrow night, but only for one night. Friday nights i less cold at 42F and then UP for the weekend. I'll be in California Friday through MOnday, what rotten timing for a trip! :violin:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Lows in Houston this morning varied from low 30s in the north and west burbs to near 40 in the warmer parts of the area. I bottomed out at 37 but at 5:30am it was already up to 40 with a light south wind. Looks like high pressure got far enough east during the night give us a warm southerly wind . The temps started rising about 3am. I assume this is the last real threat of a freeze for Houston. Low for the season at my place is likely to be the 31 recorded in January. It seems like the cold spells main thrusts this season were either too far west or too far east to get nailed.

Ed in Houston

New Port Richey is now trending down, BELOW freezing. WU has me at 29F while NWS is at 31F and local forecasts at 32F. Definitely record-breaking cold and one of the latest freezes of this century. No freezes, not even close, until now? Just ruins the winter! We are having nice growth. Scramble with the frost cloth tomorrow night, but only for one night. Friday nights i less cold at 42F and then UP for the weekend. I'll be in California Friday through MOnday, what rotten timing for a trip! :violin:

Chubby Checker: "How low can you go" ?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Cape Coral Forecast for Friday morning

Weather.com 32

NWS 35

Accuweather 33

We are under a Freeze Watch and Wind Chill Advisories.

Continuing to pray that we do not see any freezing weather, keeping the faith!

I was really hoping to get through the first year with my new collection without any freezes as everything is small with very little protection, still hoping.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Got a degree or two colder here than expected. Weather stations all showing 30-33 this am. Really got to get a outside thermometer.

31 this morning pretty good frost going. Just confirms that I can't push limits with any palms unless they are under canopy. If bet a dry 31 in California is no biggie. But all this frost will torch most palms.

Updated Thursday/Friday/Saturday morning lows.

Latest NWS statement out of Melbourne is saying anywhere west of US1 in Brevard will have a freeze event Friday morning. Barrier islands will be spared. Fingers crossed.

Weather: 40, 38, 51

NOAA: 36, 30, 51

Accuweather: 35, 36, 51

Wunderground: 39, 36, 51

Unisys: 35, 32, 48