IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

which Dypsis is which ??? identify please

sydneypalms

can you identify my dypsises.

these are spose to be my pembanas from seedlings, they have always been together ive never seperated them.... but i had "just a couple" of noticable cabadas next to them.

cabads were really noticable with their striking yellow veins sticking out, while the pembanas were bright green and flat leaved when young.

now they are both larger, so i took pics of them to put on internet and sell them, when i noticed my pembanas came in 2 colours, as in pic below... leaves are exactly the same but the stems and bulbs are difrent.

seeing how i only had a couple of cabads, im guessing the 3 that i have must be them, but they dont have cabad features or colours on them , as when young, or as what cabads / bluecanes are spose to have ......and coz they dont have those features im also thinking maybe my cabads got lost in my backyard and died in the drought long ago ... maybe .. maybe not .... ive never seen grown cabads in person before, so im not sure whether this is normal for them to look like - if they are cabads...

and coz i have more of the redish palms in this spot, im assuming the red ones are pembanas.

sorry i had to repost this, im trying to figure out how to delete the other post, coz the fotos in the other one look blurry, and im noticing its happening here too, those fotos should be crisp clear

one user "mattyB" says - That dark chocolate color is indicative of D. cabadae

post-11096-0-20701600-1423288534_thumb.j

post-11096-0-18361600-1423288545_thumb.j

post-11096-0-43691300-1423288553_thumb.j

post-11096-0-29659200-1423288690_thumb.j

post-11096-0-05049600-1423288697_thumb.j

Edited by sydneypalms

G'day there mate,

The green palm you have pictured here is definitely pembana. The other one is definitely not cabadae but possibly one of the following 3 options..... Lanceolata, pembana or a hybrid with both of the species mentioned as the parents. I often see reddish juvenile pembana and wonder what the "go" is with them but as yet I have not figured it out.

Nice to see another Aussie on PT!

Ben

tnx ben adam. lance's are much difrent, like more jade , i never known any of them to get red at all ?? specially if u google images,

and at that time bak then i didnt get any lance's

Adam, welcome to palm talk, you found the right place to discuss palm trees world wide.

One thing I highly recommend is not to prematurely pull off the leaf sheaths from your palms. Let your palms naturally shed them. By exposing the trunk like this can cause fungus and all kinds of creepy things to disease your D. Pembana or any palm for this matter. When the trunk has been peeled back and exposed to the sun it can permanently burn and scar the the trunk. Trust me I have learned from experience myself.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Hi Adam

Good to see someone from Sydney on Palm talk. I have given up trying to grow Dypsis Cabadae . Sorry can't help with ID

to the sandiego guy..... it must be something in the air or soil in your zone. ive never had that issue in sydney. coz i do it alot.

but i do know that if i dont clean them off on every now n then, they get infested with mealy bugs and fungus, ive even seen this on healthy ones, this weakens the plants, but the symtoms will show , which gives you time to act, n treat them, anyway back to the identification of this mysterious plant

Edited by sydneypalms

The reddish one looks a lot like a version of lanceolata that's been around for 3 or 4 years now. Fuzzy, reddish brown petioles are characteristic of it. Some have taken to calling it "lanceonada" in jest. The cabadaes that I've had have a chocolate colored petiole, but one that is completely smooth.

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"