IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is your palm blended?? If so do tell...

Josh-O

Just curious to know who is growing blended (hybrid) palms out there? Some people aren't fans of hybrid palms but as for me I do fancy a good hybrid. put a list together or post some pic's of your favorite hybrid you have growing in your garden.

I'm growing or have in a pot's to be planted the following hybrids.

Wodyetia x Veitchia 'Foxy Lady' planted

livistona lanuginosa x livistona drudei 5 gal (will be planted this spring)

Jubea C. x Parajubea parajubaea cocoides 15 gal (will be planted this spring)

butia C. x Queen mule 24' box (will be planted this spring)

teddy x triangle "tri bear) 5 gal (will be planted this spring)

Dypsis arenarum cross (not sure what its crossed with?) planted

jubea x queen 5 gal (will be planted this spring)

queen x syagrus schizophylla :coconut queen" Planted

hyophorbe indica x hyophorbe verschaffeltii 15 gal pot (will be planted this spring)

parajubea toryalli x jubea

Butia yatay x Syagrus romanzoffiana 15 gal (will be planted this spring)

Butia capitata x Parajubaea cocoides 15 gal (will be planted this spring)

B. yatay x jubea C. 15 gal (will be planted this spring)

to name a few of the cooler crosses that I have. Pictures to follow ASAP.

cant wait to here what your blending...

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

These are all in the ground:

Wodyetia x Veitchia 'foxy lady' approx. 9 feet tall

Syagrus x Jubaea 4 feet tall

Syagrus x Butia x Jubaea 4 feet tall

Syagrus 'montgomeryana' schizophylla x romanzoffiana 15 feet tall

S. romanzoffiana x Butia 'mule palm' 2 feet tall

Phoenix reclinata x roebelenii 20 feet tall three trunks

and several Chamaedorea crosses of various species

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Ooo, I like this topic...let's see if I can remember what I have kickin' over here:

Multiple Butia o x Syagrus r

2 Butia yatay x Syagrus r

BxJ

JxB

JxS

Butia o x Parajubea c

Butia p x Parajubea c

6 Coconut Queens

Syagrus matefome

Teddy x Triangle seedling in greenhouse

Some Brahea that are probably hybrids as well - e.g. B. clara

Most of these are just seedlings.

I'm sure I am forgetting something...

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I got a couple, but they are more of the tropical side of the hybrids, which I enjoy. Though I sure would like to have more. JM has provide some really neat hybrids over the past few years, I just keep missing that boat, lol.

Adonidia x Foxtail

Chambeyronia macrocarpa x hookeri

Dypsis decaryi x leptochilos F1 from Redlands

Howea forsterian x belmoriana

Hyophorbe lagencaulis x vershaffeltti F1

Veitchia x Foxtail

Oh, I left out Syagrus x matafome (S. coronata x S. vagans) 3 feet tall and Syagrus x costae (S. cearensis x coronata) seven feet tall from my list.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

I currently only have 2 Foxy Lady and a Teddy Tri, and currently waiting for a delivery from Seabreez of a White Triangle ( Pembana X Triangle ) and a Golden Triangle( Lutesense X Triangle) im going to plant the white golden and teddy in a triple planting here is a pic of my foxy from 2011 and current they do grow like weeds!

post-3040-0-99318700-1423250316_thumb.jp

post-3040-0-19320000-1423250379_thumb.jp

post-3040-0-57972500-1423250401_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Many of the ones already mentioned plus a Phoenix canariensis x reclinata. Tracked seed for this down because of the really nice one growing in Merrill Wilcox's yard. Kind of a cold hardy reclinata on steroids. Have two in the ground and one is already putting out 3 pups.

http://www.horticopia.net/media.detailsalt.php?mediaID=81887

• Upvote 1

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

mine are all pretty small

Jub x queen

yatay x queen

butia x parajub cocoides

b.paraguaensis x parajub cocoiders

(jubaea x butia odorata) x butia eriospatha

mountain queen x syagrus comosa

eriospatha x odorata

T princeps hybrid

Well, when you think about it, we're ALL blended . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

These are all in the ground:

Wodyetia x Veitchia 'foxy lady' approx. 9 feet tall

Syagrus x Jubaea 4 feet tall

Syagrus x Butia x Jubaea 4 feet tall

Syagrus 'montgomeryana' schizophylla x romanzoffiana 15 feet tall

S. romanzoffiana x Butia 'mule palm' 2 feet tall

Phoenix reclinata x roebelenii 20 feet tall three trunks

and several Chamaedorea crosses of various species

I'm a big fan of Rec X roebelenii.. yours sound like its a monster? hopefully you can post a picture.

Sunset zone 24

Ooo, I like this topic...let's see if I can remember what I have kickin' over here:

Multiple Butia o x Syagrus r

2 Butia yatay x Syagrus r

BxJ

JxB

JxS

Butia o x Parajubea c

Butia p x Parajubea c

6 Coconut Queens

Syagrus matefome

Teddy x Triangle seedling in greenhouse

Some Brahea that are probably hybrids as well - e.g. B. clara

Most of these are just seedlings.

I'm sure I am forgetting something...

wow Ben!! Syagrus matefome.... I've been looking hi and low to find this cross. any Idea where i could find one?

Sunset zone 24

I got a couple, but they are more of the tropical side of the hybrids, which I enjoy. Though I sure would like to have more. JM has provide some really neat hybrids over the past few years, I just keep missing that boat, lol.

Adonidia x Foxtail

Veitchia x Foxtail

Carlos, you gotta post a pic of that Adonidia x Foxtail.. that is a killer cross!!

Sunset zone 24

Oh, I left out Syagrus x matafome (S. coronata x S. vagans) 3 feet tall and Syagrus x costae (S. cearensis x coronata) seven feet tall from my list.

say whaaaat!!! ok, where can I find these two crosses Jim? I need to put these in my garden. :greenthumb::greenthumb:

Sunset zone 24

I currently only have 2 Foxy Lady and a Teddy Tri, and currently waiting for a delivery from Seabreez of a White Triangle ( Pembana X Triangle ) and a Golden Triangle( Lutesense X Triangle) im going to plant the white golden and teddy in a triple planting here is a pic of my foxy from 2011 and current they do grow like weeds!

Sergio, nice crosses!! The palms you have on order are sure to be a crowd pleaser. post pic's when you get them

Sunset zone 24

Here is B x J:

BxJ05-1.jpg

And S. palmetto x S. causiarum (maybe/probably/perhaps)

DSCN0902.jpg

That BxJ is crazy beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's so blue...great pictures & nice job growing them :greenthumb:

Sunset zone 24

say whaaaat!!! ok, where can I find these two crosses Jim? I need to put these in my garden. :greenthumb::greenthumb:
Josh, mine came from Gary Wood in Fallbrook a few years ago. He's moved to Utah and his nursery is no longer. Maybe Ben can chime in. I'm guessing he got his S. metaforme from Dwight at Palm Heaven.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Many of the ones already mentioned plus a Phoenix canariensis x reclinata. Tracked seed for this down because of the really nice one growing in Merrill Wilcox's yard. Kind of a cold hardy reclinata on steroids. Have two in the ground and one is already putting out 3 pups.

what an impressive cross Tank, you got me thinking. how cold hardy is this cross? Zone 8a?

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

mine are all pretty small

Jub x queen

yatay x queen

butia x parajub cocoides

b.paraguaensis x parajub cocoiders

(jubaea x butia odorata) x butia eriospatha

mountain queen x syagrus comosa

eriospatha x odorata

T princeps hybrid

James, welcome to palm talk. I have never heard of this cross (mountain queen x syagrus comosa) do you have any pictures?

Sunset zone 24

Well, when you think about it, we're ALL blended . . . .

What about you Mr. Doom, I'm sure you have a couple of hybrids tucked in your lush rain forest somewhere???

Sunset zone 24

Josh, mine came from Gary Wood in Fallbrook a few years ago. He's moved to Utah and his nursery is no longer. Maybe Ben can chime in. I'm guessing he got his S. metaforme from Dwight at Palm Heaven.

Thanks for getting back with me so fast Jim, I'm pretty sure Dwight bought that metaforme from Perry and re-sold it to you? That is such a cool cross. How is you red lemur doing?

Sunset zone 24

Blended :floor:

sounds like something Triode would come up with :mrlooney:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Got my matafome in 25g size from Patric Schafer. Not sure of original provenance, ie if one of his creations or not.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Adonidia x Foxtail

Veitchia x Foxtail

Carlos, you gotta post a pic of that Adonidia x Foxtail.. that is a killer cross!!

post-3931-0-60877600-1423285911_thumb.jp

post-3931-0-65116700-1423285933_thumb.jp

post-3931-0-31195200-1423285969_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

what an impressive cross Tank, you got me thinking. how cold hardy is this cross? Zone 8a?

According to Merrill, originally his tree had about 8 trunks or so. It survived the worst freeze he experienced in Gainesville during the 1980s. It was defoliated and lost 5 of its trunks. I think the temp was in the low teens(F), possibly close to 10F. He related that he went to great pains to keep it alive after the freeze, removing all damaged material down to the meristem and then treating it with what I assume was fungicide and maybe peroxide. I would guess the tree is about as cold hardy as a canariensis so marginal 8a sounds about right. Probably starts getting damaged in the upper teens. Mine have yet to see any significant cold weather.

On another note, these seem to have hybrid vigor and grow quite a bit faster than any of my other phoenix.

• Upvote 2

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Not one.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Adonidia x Foxtail

Veitchia x Foxtail

Great looking palm..How certain are you of the parentage? It looks exactly like what I purchased years ago as Veitchia joannis. Not saying it's not a cross, just curious where it came from. Well grown either way..

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Adonidia x Foxtail

Veitchia x Foxtail

she's a beauty!!! where can we find one Carlos?

Sunset zone 24

Silver Lady

Is silver lady a bottle x spindle cross? I see lots of spindle in this cross. very nicely grown indeed! Great job :greenthumb:

Sunset zone 24

Thanks for getting back with me so fast Jim, I'm pretty sure Dwight bought that metaforme from Perry and re-sold it to you? That is such a cool cross. How is you red lemur doing?
I got mine from Gary Wood. The only hybrid I got from Dwight is a foxy lady that is a rocket growth wise. My Lemur is doing excellent and opening a new red leaf as we speak.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

I agree with the rocket speed at which those foxy lady's grow. they don't skip a beat

Sunset zone 24

Silver Lady

This is a great palm. Just one word of caution. I killed two planting them. I had hoped for some hybrid vigor in this but ended up with something inbeween the two. Which in SoCal wasn't ideal. Just my experience. Hopefully yours has better genes!

I agree with Bret on the Adonidia x Foxtail. I don't see any foxtail at all in it. Maybe it will morph later but looks like Vietchia to me.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Blended :floor:

sounds like something Triode would come up with :mrlooney:

I think this thread was kind of both our idea..lol :floor::floor:

Sunset zone 24

Len, you should post some pic's of your Dypsis hybrids. Your probably have some of the biggest and coolest growing here in California :greenthumb::yay::drool:

Sunset zone 24

I planted a BxS back in Myrtle Beach. The family says it's doing good so far this winter. It's a strap leaf seedling still.

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

The Christmas tail came from Florida. Same with the silver lady. Both from the same grower. I am waiting to see some of the foxtail traits. It's an interesting cross, never showing much foxtail, but definitely not 100% adonidia. I'm just having fun with this, and will grow it to a large 15 gal, and then put it in the ground.

adonidia is a super tough grow here in California. I've seen them die in greenhouses with heat systems for over wintering.

Sunset zone 24

As Forrest Gump might have said, "Blended is as Blended Does"

Here's a beastly Brahea hybrid

This appears to be a mutt between Brahea bandeegii and armata

scooby dooby doo bee doo bee doo . . . .

(listening to jazz-influences YouTube vids, while the uploads up load.)

post-208-0-43191900-1423447036_thumb.jpg

post-208-0-46937500-1423447159_thumb.jpg

Look at the base of bases, note the distinctive pattern of petioles, and the coloration of the canopy

post-208-0-22010000-1423447264_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.