IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Moose

No rain at all here,once in two weeks and it was for 10minutes, Daily thunder, radar lit up,I am in that hole as usual! :mrlooney:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Up to June 20th, the rain was coming regularly. Since that time, we've dried up. The light show is a daily occurrence but the measurable rain doesn't show up. The airport got 1.25" on Sunday which is only 3 miles from me.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

We have been very blessed with rain, over 10" for June and already close to 5" for July, big change from last year. Hopefully everyone will start seeing more rain.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

More nothing yesterday but it came down in droves just up the road (again).

Frustrating huh Ray? We FINALLY got a big storm today around 3pm. Woke me up! About an inch or so which is easily my heaviest rain in a month. :winkie:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

That's just the nature of summer rain in Florida. Spotty and random, like a crapshoot.

Frustrating huh Ray? We FINALLY got a big storm today around 3pm. Woke me up! About an inch or so which is easily my heaviest rain in a month. :winkie:

And another storm hit last night...over half inch of rain. Way to go! :yay:

Yes got hammered last night here too. It was about .75" in 30 minutes. I'll take it.

Insufficient rain continues here at my location in the Orlando area. While many have repeatedly had heavy rains recently, almost all of it has missed us. The next few days look to be entirely dry with rain chances dramatically increasing thereafter. We will see.

Two storms hit yesterday, about an hour apart. Nice downpours in both storms meaning 4 days in a row with heavier rains and storms. Now that's what I am talking about! My turn, and it has been very nice rains, too - not excessive just good amounts. Next week looks back to the westerlies which usually means less rain here but I am happy for now. :yay:

It is our turn to be dry here in SW Florida :-)

Two storms hit yesterday, about an hour apart. Nice downpours in both storms meaning 4 days in a row with heavier rains and storms. Now that's what I am talking about! My turn, and it has been very nice rains, too - not excessive just good amounts. Next week looks back to the westerlies which usually means less rain here but I am happy for now. :yay:

and a surprise deluge hit this morning. Storms lasted for two hours and put down almost 4 inches of rain. I guess someone was listening to me when I asked for rain! :drool:

We finally picked up just over an inch of much needed rain yesterday, while today it has been completely dry. Rain chances going forward do look promising. Hopefully we can get normal rainfall for the rest of the season.

Got another 2" of rain in one hour Saturday. Now, the dreaded west wind starts up so it looks like a dry week. I ignore 40-50% rain chances when this pattern sets up. Inland folks, get your canoes ready.

I haven't any significant rain in months. It's been unusually dry this year in South Palm Beach. I'd love to be complaining about being saturated.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

The dreaded west wind brought a 20 minute downpour today! Surprise once again. :hmm:

I managed a little downburst too. The good thing from this pattern is the lower afternoon temps.

We are receiving some onshore rains today, most of the day it has been cloudy and some light and a bit of heavy rain.

Went a week without rain with temps in the mid-90s. Everything was dry, dry, dry. Woke up to clouds this morning and had 1/2" by afternoon. Then serious rain moved in about 5:30 - thunder, lightning, downpours. Still coming down hard and I'm so glad. Our sprinklers are on the fritz. The next 6 days forecast more of the same.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

and it keeps on coming down. Rained all day Thur, has rained today all night into the morning. Total is almost 5" in the past 48 hours. I know I wanted rain, but jeez enough already. We do need some sunshine so the poor palms can grow = and I can try to feel awake. :):drool:

We have had over 3" the last couple days, the palms are liking it!

and it keeps on coming down. Rained all day Thur, has rained today all night into the morning. Total is almost 5" in the past 48 hours. I know I wanted rain, but jeez enough already. We do need some sunshine so the poor palms can grow = and I can try to feel awake. :):drool:

and it has not stopped today....over an inch for today giving us well over 6" of rain since Tues evening! Jeez...

Over 3" a couple days ago, trace yesterday. Just threats so far today. Sprinklers still on the fritz.

Meg

Florida

Every day,now we are having morning showers and storms, lasting into the PM. Each day has brought at least 1/2" of rain as this moist westerly flow continues. We do usually get one period like this every summer but this is longer lasting than most. Very little sunshine. July is over 8" and growing in rainfall. Feast or famine! :bemused:

Got 0.2" around noon - made the afternoon sweltering. But nothing the several days before. Last night after dark we turned on the sprinklers (not our day but don't tell Code). My husband got up at 4 a.m. to turn off the malfunctioning zone 3.

Meg

Florida

We have not had anything outrageous or major here, but a pattern of more regular rainfall has begun here in the past week, so I hope it continues through September. We have had about 5" of rain for July so far, so we are just slightly below where we should be on average.

Certainly not a memorable rainy season.

I have had close to 10" of rain already for July, and it is raining now. We are expecting more rain this weekend.

The pattern since Friday has been very heavy rains. My gauge filled at 6" by Sat AM and it poured even more on that. Local PWS reported 8.4" in two days, so that is about correct lifting the July total to 16.8". Way too much. Chances today are 70% as are tomorrow's chances. Feast or famine. For 3 weeks in June almost nothing - now it will not stop! On the plus side, it has been rather cool due to the cloud cover. :crying::crying:

Over 6" since 7/25. 11+" so far for July.

Meg

Florida

So far in July we received 14.42". Hopefully we will get some more as the palms are very happy!

12" of rain here in July so far and more in the forecast.

That's nothing. Here is SW Pasco county, I am alreadyu past 23 inches of rain and counting = 16 consecutive days of rain, much of it HEAVY. Flooding everywhere. It just will not stop! That thing in the sky is shy, too....so little sunshine in two weeks. Just clouds, thunder and heavy rains. :badday:

Today is the 22nd consecutive day of rainfall already. I lost count at 23 inches during the week. Yesterday it poured 3x with on and off rain in between, because we need more rain? The sun is somewhere up in the sky, I think. Okay, I asked for some rain this summer but you can back off some. It is August, so perhaps we can shy off the hefty downpours and go back to "normal" weather? :mrlooney:

My official rain total for July was 14.60". Not as much as our friends in west central Florida. Today I already received 1.34".

Another 3 inches fell yesterday. As if we need more rain> over 30 inches in two weeks and counting, Flooding is widespread and 300+ homes were evacuated. The ground is absolutely saturated. The radar is lit up once again......... :crying:

Averaging at least an inch per day here recently, and my garden could not be happier. Plus, I love this kind of weather. I am not missing mowing the yard in 96F heat under full sun.

Tampa, St. Pete and Clearwater may be finally be getting a break. Radar looks like the area of heaviest rain is backing away from the coast and diminishing. The low is now off the GA coast and moving NE. Things are getting back to normal. Bad floods in many areas.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/tampa-fl/33602/weather-radar/347937

My area of Western Pasco county was in the bullseye this morning with an additional 7 inches of rain, in torrrents. That makes 24 inches of rainfall just since July 20th. Needless to say that is too much rain. All of Tampa Bay is a mess. I can see plants starting to rot now. Oh well, I asked fo :drool: this summer......

We've been getting clouds and bits of rain, still behind average rainfall.

Tamps was a mess today, streets flooded, Busch Gardens, the Lowry Park Zoo and much more closed, lots of people not at work.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

10" inches of rain fell Saturday and another 5" yesterday. I've never seen this much rain in such a short span. As of August 3rd, we've already achieved our official yearly total. With an El Nino winter on tap, who knows what the yearly total could be.