IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Moose

It has been very warm this spring, since March 1st. March was rather wet. April dry as a bone. It has not rained yet in April, so that is half the month dry. It is beginning to show up in brown lawns, and my water bill. :mrlooney:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

SW winds favoring the eastern half of the peninsula this month , has resulted in

a little over 3.5" in just the last 5 days here in Daytona .

Been dry here too in the Cape, has rained all around us, mostly east of us, but not a drop here.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Straight summer weather here. Lows in the 70s highs in the 80s 100% humidity every day and torrential rains every day things are a growin

The forecast is continued westerly winds pushing all showers and storms inland, east, away from me. Very warm and humid, lows nearer 70F highs 85-88F but still zero rainfall. Odd April for sure, but rain would be nice! :mrlooney:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Folks inland must be using canoes by now. I bought a new leaf blower to get the tumble weeds out of the garden.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

We have about 3" at my house over the past week and boy has it made the garden (and me) very happy. I hope we get a couple more inches before the next dry period. The days we get substantial rain quickly cools us into the low 70s and we stay between 69-72 until after sunrise the next day. Very comfortable. I find 70-72 and muggy (after rain) quite comfortable, while 75-77F feels somewhat sticky and a bit uncomfortable.

Had a quick rain yesterday afternoon...just enuff so I don't need to water the newly mounted broms in the oaks (I think)

Hope more on the way

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Still dragging the hose pipe here, its getting real old ... :rant:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

yeah April's total still a big fat ZERO. This has been some hot, humid, muggy April. I cannot remember the last morning below 70F and most afternoons 85-88F. The Gulf is up to 82F so no cooling there anymore. They are "hinting" at rain Monday with a front...... :asleep:

Not a drop locally in quite sometime.. oh, wait.. literally 2 drops fell the other night as I stood outside watching a gust front sweep in from the east.. 15+ inches near Sebring last week.. and nothing but dust and hose abuse here. :indifferent::rant:

-Nathan

They are "hinting" at rain Monday with a front...... :asleep:

For the West Central area, Monday's rain forecast is getting drier each NWS update. Believe the rain forecast when you see the drops falling. :mrlooney:

And oh how I would like to send some rain to you guys and California. Have only seen a few hours sun in a few weeks. We have already received 9" and it is only the 18th. If it continues at this rate we will be nearly 4 times our average rainfall for this month. And although not enough rain is bad, too much on our clay soils can be just as bad. Wishing some away from us, and on to you for a bit.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Yeah it's been a soaker of an April here got standing water all over my yard. Worried about my avocado trees

Yeah it's been a soaker of an April here got standing water all over my yard. Worried about my avocado trees

I have always read that Avos don't like wet feet. As you recall mine is raised about 2 feet on the edge of the house pad. Seems to like it there. By the way, a seedling of my 'Wilma' defoliated at 24, but came back. Give me hope for the potential of its seeds.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

There is promise tomorrow of rainfall here with a front. 70% plus chances, and possibly some heavy storms. Today is the 22nd straight day without a drop. I put in some sod in the back yard two weeks ago - shoulda figured! :mrlooney::mrlooney:

Just got rained on coming in on the boat. Not a drop at the house :( hopefully we get some tomorrow. It's been dry and wilty

:evil: Its been hitting highs in the 90's with no rain here. The frontal forecast shows no effect here. Below normal precipitation for the month. :rant:

More bad news: All the garden hoses in my yard have organized themselves into a union. They have been complaining about being overworked for weeks. :rant:

"MORNING TBW SOUNDING DID ONLY INDICATE PRECIPITABLE WATER AROUND 1.5

INCHES...BUT WITH A MORE SOUTHWESTERLY COMPONENT DEVELOPING WE

SHOULD SEE SOME DEEPER MOISTURE SPREAD OVER THE REGION. WE ARE

HAVING TROUBLE WARMING UP WHICH WOULD LIMIT CONVECTION"

Looks like rain in the west central region will be limited....again.

Pouring with severe thunderstorms in southern Palm Beach County

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Finally some rain this afternoon. As intense as it was, I don't expect much benefit. Heaviest band lasted at less than 15 minutes.

Did experience some serious wind as the line blew threw. Knocked out a tree-wrapped transformer a couple houses down and sent clouds of leaves all over the place.

Not much in the lightning department though. Hoping we get more rain this week.

-Nathan

We had a little over .50" yesterday. That's not great but better than a stick in the eye.

Been very lucky on the eastern peninsula. About 2" in the last three days. Very nice treat for a usually very dry month of April.

Finally dry here.......not sure how many inches...but a wet April....sand soaks it right up fast!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

North-Central coast ( Volusia County) , has received about 5.1 " , this month.

Wow, that's some good rain. Here in the Cape I had .70" for this month.

Good soaking yesterday - perked up everything :yay:

We have had between 2.5-3" for the month of April, for which I am very grateful. I expect it to be mostly dry until the start of the rainy season, in about a month (as it usually is).

The big front and storms of Monday were a washout. Recorded about 1/3" rainfall, which is the month total. Somehow, even with severe weather, I missed out. Oh well, April is our dry, but inland areas that have been getting soaked could share some of their bounty. Just sayin.... :yay:

A strange day for rain.. Close to 3" at the house, and a sprinkle at work in Sarasota when a wimpy gust front passed through.

-Nathan

It rained again, and with the radar lit up and heavy rains nearby, about 1/3" fell. There is hope for more next week. It is very warm this morning with 75F at wakeup. An April that has been very June-like in weather. Plants, palms, all are jumping through hoops and growing like crazy. :hmm:

Things are growing as if it were the June rainy season. Temperatures this April are running about 6 degrees above normal, so it looks like a record-hot month, even if things cool off as expected this week.

There were a bunch of record high temperatures today in southeast Florida, including a pair of 99º F (37 C).

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

A lot of rain fell in this storm. 1.5" easy. While it is less hot, my local news stated we are on the way to the hottest April on record with an average temp of 78.7F in Tampa. This is well above normal, at 7 degrees. It will come down a bit due to the rains/.clouds, but still, hot it has been. In South Florida, even hotter and wetter. Odd non-spring. Although, they are promising a front this week and Friday may hit 62F in the morning! That will feel awesome. Plants and palms alike are growing like crazy. :)

So far this month we have received 1.27 inches in my part of Cape Coral. I think I may be the dry spot considering that the other parts of Florida received a lot more.

No wonder my cactus are growing so well!

We had 0.15" in the past couple days, otherwise it has been dry since the wet spell in mid-April. It looks like many areas of FL got a good soaking, but we missed out this time.

We had a reported and very welcomed 2.9 inches in Key West yesterday. It literally rained from 8:30 am to 5 pm without stopping. Unusual for us to get all day rain like that, but it was a real treat. Even the temp. has decreased considerably. I'm expecting it to feel like a steamy rain forest by tomorrow. It was a great reprieve from the summer weather we have been experiencing.

• 2 weeks later...

It's hot and dry here. Spring decided to take the year off. No rain in the month of May so far.

• Upvote 1