IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Everyone in the Southeast... Check your spears!

smithgn

Dude, no way! Palm crazy, how many frost days do you average in a year?

I don’t know but we usually have frost in February and March but this year nothing yet since early January. I’m hoping for a mild end of winter this year with a early spring. Temps have been above 5-10 degrees here since early January. And, December was pretty warm also. Pouring rain here at the moment from a tropical rain storm. Don’t mean to rub it in but the low last night was 53F.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USWA0318:1:US

Edited by Palm crazy

Wow, good for you man! I hope you can slip by without another freeze event. I think the spring forecast according to accuweather noted that a quick jump to spring would happen for you guys in the northwest. Question... I've read on here often that cold + rain is a disaster for palms. But does that only include below freezing temperatures + rain? Or is it just a general rule that if it's cold (anything below 50 degrees or so) and rain is a bad combination? Hope that makes sense...

West Coast has been really warm the past two years

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Wow, good for you man! I hope you can slip by without another freeze event. I think the spring forecast according to accuweather noted that a quick jump to spring would happen for you guys in the northwest. Question... I've read on here often that cold + rain is a disaster for palms. But does that only include below freezing temperatures + rain? Or is it just a general rule that if it's cold (anything below 50 degrees or so) and rain is a bad combination? Hope that makes sense...

Regular rain does not bother palms here its when it rains in the day and then freezes at night that causes problem for palms. As long as its above 33F (nights) no damage will happen here.

The usual winter flowering plants are in bloom, and it won’t be long till the peach tree will be in bloom, some early blooming cherry trees are in bloom and have been, mahonia are in full bloom and spring bulbs are about 6” to 12” tall already. It will be interesting to see if my peach tree blooms early, sometimes it starts late February but most years mid March. Unlike you guys we have a very long spring before the heat sets in.

David, last winter was pretty normal for us, but we did have an early warm spring last year. This year should be even warmer. :yay:

Got the flame mimosa seeds planted. Checked on that little acacia the soil has stayed moist but the leaves are real dry and crispy....not in direct sun....not sure what to think....still green but crispy.

Doesn’t sound very good David. If you have abundant rain like here this time of year it would not be a problem.

Just keep watering twice a week and hopefully it will recover from the shock. It may die back on the top and re-sprout father down. All you can do now is wait and see what happen in the next few months. Really hope it pulls through for you. Fingers crossed. Acacia germinate really easy, so if you can get some seeds that would be the best next thing to try. Good luck.

Edited by Palm crazy

Would not peroxide daily. The peroxide turns to water and a daily dose keeps water in the crown constantly. All your trying to do is kill the nasties and then let it dry out. Maybe once a week or every two weeks would be adequate (I think?)

Not sure about recovery rates....but some palms recover better from spear pulls than others. If you have a spear pull on a Rhaphis sp.....had almost zero luck with recovery of that stem. However, Phoenix species seem to recover great for the most part. Mules seem to have a good record of recovery. Dypsis decipiens recovery rates are a complete unknown to me?

Most spear pulls are on new growth (hence spear pull, not frond pull) fronds that have already opened and hardened off are not as susceptible for sure. Even had Podocarps and Loquats get burned on new growth. We have warm weather here that encourages growth in winter then pops it with a harsh freeze. Plants don't know if they are coming or going.

As far as the Rhapis is concerned I can not agree more as a general rule, albeit there are also exceptions to it as by every rule. In this case the exception is called Rhapis multifida!

• 1 year later...

So, despite a mild winter (albeit a wet one) the carnage continues. One palm that I'm most concerned about is my trithrinax brasiliensis. I pulled 2 spears and an older frond pulled as well! As I pulled the mature frond, I noticed there was a sheath around it. That can't be a good thing. Any chance this one survives? I poured peroxide down the hatch, and it foamed like crazy. Here are some pics...

My trithrinax brasieliensis

004_zpsz1boqjss.jpg

At first, these 2 spears pulled

003_zpsgrcsdqyt.jpg

And if 2 came out, what would stop the other fronds from pulling? So I tugged on this frond and it came right out.

001_zpszibscexj.jpg

The sheath

002_zpsnhc4zv5n.jpg

Close ups of the fizz coming up from the hole

006_zpsxqtm59br.jpg

Another

005_zpsl60nr6rz.jpg

It might recover from that.....don't stress until the fat lady sings.

Yeah, after last year, I don't stress too much over a pulled spear. But I've never seen my palm or any palm for that matter pull 3 spears at once. This has probably bee going on for awhile. Oh well. A few more dry days and maybe another dose of hydrogen peroxide will help.

T. Anthacoma doesn't like overhead water when cool, and not at all when small, even when warm. I have had many a spear pull help me learn this lesson.

Yeah, we recently had a very cool period of wet, Seattle-like weather. If this and my other Trithrinax survive, I now know what to look forward to every year in late winter Lol

Not in the Southeast, but the spear on my Trachycarpus fortunei is actually on the move. I guess that means I'm out of the woods.

It hasn't gotten any rain since December, and I guess I'll keep covering it from moisture until nights are consistently above freezing.