• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I unlocked the secret to growing the "true" Dypsis blackstem in California....

trioderob

This is a funny thread, but Triode, I Very much look fwd to yr pics as does everyone else no doubt.

Ive "never" in the flesh, or in pics seen a cultivated Black stem that "resembles" the below pic which I think is quite "photo shopped" or the likes ??

Pete :)

I took that photo back in 2007 on my trip to Madagascar. It looked just like that in real life, photoshopping was not required. But i also have yet to see a cultivated Palm look like that one at the lodge.

Gary

• Upvote 2

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Rob. You can't make a statement like that without a picture and expect a positive response. If I said I unlocked the trick to growing a fruiting coconut in San diego but wouldn't post a pic of it, would you believe me?

Steve, you make a strong case!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Here is a photo of one of my Dypsis baronii 'black petiole'. I purchased several seedlings from Jeff Marcus at www.floribundapalms.com in January of 2012. They vary slightly in color tone and this one has the darkest color.

I was able only to purchase a cheap pH meter for $10 earlier today. The pH reading was 6.

My plants have been grown in my greenhouse. It's overcast today so I was not able to get a light level reading. The greenhouse has acrylic glazing with a light transmission of 84%. The GH temperature ranges from 50 to 85 F.

post-31-0-52677200-1422320403_thumb.jpg

post-31-0-98439500-1422320446_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

Trioderob operates in a vacuum, but if you heat his cathode, watch out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Trioderob operates in a vacuum, but if you heat his cathode, watch out.

:floor::floor::floor::floor:

Sunset zone 24

Ok peeps, I decided to go take a picture of the real deal Black stem baronii. Mine was germinated from the seed that Gary Levine himself brought back form Vakona lodge when he visited Madagascar several years ago. Accept no imitations this is the real (expletive) thing.

post-7434-0-92998000-1422332676_thumb.jp mine in the ground

post-7434-0-32683500-1422332728_thumb.jp me posting with a couple beauties on my last palm trip to Hawaii

maybe this will entice Trioderob to post a picture of his?

• Upvote 3

Sunset zone 24

How did I not see that one last time I was over!

• Like 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

lol..Steve, I'll point it out when you come back over for a mai tai.

Sunset zone 24

hopefully soon Ben? It has already produces to small flowers last year but they both aborted. It's just a matter of time before I have some fresh seed?

Sunset zone 24

Holy ****! Well, done Josh! :greenthumb::drool:

Thanks Matthew

Sunset zone 24

Put me on that seed list Josh! It would be interesting to try those up here.

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Here is a photo of one of my Dypsis baronii 'black petiole'. I purchased several seedlings from Jeff Marcus at www.floribundapalms.com in January of 2012. They vary slightly in color tone and this one has the darkest color.

I was able only to purchase a cheap pH meter for $10 earlier today. The pH reading was 6.

My plants have been grown in my greenhouse. It's overcast today so I was not able to get a light level reading. The greenhouse has acrylic glazing with a light transmission of 84%. The GH temperature ranges from 50 to 85 F.

post-1729-0-24636800-1422368366.jpgpost-1729-0-74916800-1422368372.jpg

Darold - thank you for your post, especially your pH reading. Rob (not surprisingly) was aloof using the term "organic acidic soil" with no range. The more acidic a soil the less mineral salts can be transformed into ions that can pass through the roots membranes. Your information should be valuable to those cultivating this wonderful palm. :greenthumb:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Ok peeps, I decided to go take a picture of the real deal Black stem baronii. Mine was germinated from the seed that Gary Levine himself brought back form Vakona lodge when he visited Madagascar several years ago. Accept no imitations this is the real (expletive) thing.

attachicon.gifblack stem.jpeg mine in the ground

attachicon.gifdypsis sp black stem.jpeg me posting with a couple beauties on my last palm trip to Hawaii

Nice! That's the real deal for sure!!

• Like 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

attachicon.gifblack stem.jpeg mine in the ground

attachicon.gifdypsis sp black stem.jpeg me posting with a couple beauties on my last palm trip to Hawaii

EXPLETIVE!

(urk!)

EXPLETIVE!

(urk!)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

i think mine's from the same batch as yours, since it looks to be about the same size and was also purchased from floribunda, but i got mine from Perry. mine's been strictly outdoors for the last year and some since i've had it

• Like 1

Agreed, Agreed ..Outstanding Josh! Wouldn't mind a few seeds in the future myself.

-Nathan

• Upvote 1

Darold, those are really pretty. I bought a few from Jeff last summer and some look pretty promising in their red glory.

Josh, your black stem baronii is a knock out! You should be very proud.

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Put me on that seed list Josh! It would be interesting to try those up here.

will do Ben!!!

Sunset zone 24

Well, it's now 2 going on 3 years. Its grows fairly slow but moves along nicely. This thing is crazy colorful from top to bottom. Talk about eye candy :drool::drool::drool:

Sunset zone 24

I just realized my last photo was crappy so I'll post some daytime shots soon.

Sunset zone 24

Darold - beautiful palm! I was able to get 2 from Floribunda and mine are snails compared to yours. Probably in poor potting soil. Hopefully one day they will kick in.

Kenny - yeah, the one you got from Perry is a treasure. Perry grew it up very nicely and you scored for being able to buy it from him!

• Upvote 1

Josh, how dare you derail Triode's thread with straight talk and pictures. Shame on you sir, shame on you.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Josh-

what conditions are they growing in ?

what kind of soil ?

did you plant them right into your native soil ?

how much sunlight ?

Josh-

what conditions are they growing in ?

what kind of soil ?

did you plant them right into your native soil ?

how much sunlight ?

Quit ducking the issue. Show us.

• Upvote 1

You ever notice that when you have a big pack of hungry dogs.....one of them steps on something sharp and yelps......all the other dogs jump on and just savage him.....

don't know why this thread gave me this visual image?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

screw this

I posted photos of the blackstem on this forum 2 years ago

I followed up last year that it had lost color and did not respond well to my soil losing color and stunted leaf growth

There were other reports that other blackstems had lost color here.

now I post that the soil ph seems to be the major factor and i am thrown to the lions

it should be obvious that i am waiting for summer for it to look better before i post photos

this thread is closed

Edited by trioderob

screw this

I posted photos of the blackstem on this forum 2 years ago

I followed up last year that it had lost color and did not respond well to my soil losing color and stunted leaf growth

There were other reports that other blackstems had lost color here.

now I post that the soil ph seems to be the major factor and i am thrown to the lions

it should be obvious that i am waiting for summer for it to look better before i post photos

this thread is closed

Be brave Triode, post a pic and show us your a "Grower" Not just a "Talker" :)

• Like 1