• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I unlocked the secret to growing the "true" Dypsis blackstem in California....

trioderob

didnt you see my santee coconut? arguably the ugliest palm ever. just post it.....every ones doing it.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

There is nothing more compelling than a pair of "then... and later" photos. Go ahead and post the sad palm now, then post the success photo in summer. You may be on to something, but we'll never know without the photos for comparison.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Ok peeps, I decided to go take a picture of the real deal Black stem baronii. Mine was germinated from the seed that Gary Levine himself brought back form Vakona lodge when he visited Madagascar several years ago. Accept no imitations this is the real (expletive) thing.

attachicon.gifblack stem.jpeg mine in the ground

attachicon.gifdypsis sp black stem.jpeg me posting with a couple beauties on my last palm trip to Hawaii

maybe this will entice Trioderob to post a picture of his?

Very nice Josh! White, black and red ! What a collorfull palm!

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Ok, I just opened this thread for the first time, can't believe no photo, lol. But a very entertaining thread nonetheless. The other photos are fantastic BTW.

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Triode makes outrageous statement.

People are intrigued, skeptic, doubtful.

Triode backtracks, double talks, stalls.

People are drawn in to the quickly derailing thread even more.

Triode feigns frustration, disappointment.

But Triode feels happy because he has all of our attention.

We love you bro, just the way your black stem is. Ain't no need to get all skritchy with it.

• Upvote 2

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Sasquatch got a bikini body wax for climate change. Now his blackstem looks real good

Knew a gal, whose daughter in law they all called Sasquatch.

Didn't know Sasquatch that well.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

proof is in the picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

The Cable Guy Don't You Want Somebody To Love:

I enjoyed this a lot. Thank you. :D

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Josh-

what conditions are they growing in ?

what kind of soil ?

did you plant them right into your native soil ?

how much sunlight ?

Why all the questions? Thought you figured all this out...

screw this

I posted photos of the blackstem on this forum 2 years ago

I followed up last year that it had lost color and did not respond well to my soil losing color and stunted leaf growth

There were other reports that other blackstems had lost color here.

now I post that the soil ph seems to be the major factor and i am thrown to the lions

it should be obvious that i am waiting for summer for it to look better before i post photos

this thread is closed

How old are you, Triode? My 4 year old pouts just like this when he doesn't get his way... just kidding with you--we win some and we lose some, but if you change your mindset to add it all up to experience, then you might feel like a winner...

Hey, guys! What's going on in this thread?

....I love Sasquatch!

• Upvote 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Oh nothing. Triode just broke the internet again.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

all this over a palm ?

imagine if we were talking about the role of religion in the politics of the presidency .

anyway let the thread die and this summer when it comes back to life i will post some photos.

till then recommend you guys get your own blackstems and see if they grow well for you

Edited by trioderob

all this over a palm ?

imagine if we were talking about the role of religion in the politics of the presidency .

anyway let the thread die and this summer when it comes back to life i will post some photos.

till then recommend you guys get your own blackstems and see if they grow well for you

i got one. mines in full sun and about 15 foot tall and setting seed. its so crazy with color.........(no photos)

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

all this over a palm ?

i got one. mines in full sun and about 15 foot tall and setting seed. its so crazy with color.........(no photos)

on the floor Steve :floor::floor:

Sunset zone 24

Josh-

what conditions are they growing in ?

what kind of soil ?

did you plant them right into your native soil ?

how much sunlight ?

Why all the questions? Thought you figured all this out...

say whaaaaaaat????!!!!

Sunset zone 24

You guys will lose it when you find out about my in-ground Nebraska coconut.

Too bad I left my camera in the car...

• Upvote 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

My friend unlocked the secret to grow Lemurophoenix in Finland. It likes the humidity from the melting snow as it turned black. He's gonna send me some pics when it comes back to life this summer.

• Like 1

....I love Sasquatch!

Oh, i'll bet not the one I knew . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

....I love Sasquatch!

Dave.....is this her?

post-97-0-58976200-1422652499.jpg

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Oh crap, that's disgusting how stretched out that neck is.

• Like 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

It appears Alicehunter has discovered a new hybrid species. Rosie O'donnell X Ron Jermey F1 cross "YIKES" lets hope this mess never sets seed :floor::floor:

Sunset zone 24

I'd Lanonia her dasyantha that's for sure

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I'd Lanonia her dasyantha that's for sure

Shut the front door!! lol :floor::floor::floor::floor:

Sunset zone 24

I didn't think you would want me to use a photo of your girlfriend Moose

this place suckz......

Edited by trioderob

Hang in there Rob. I have always known that the people that give you the hardest time are the ones that like you.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

....I love Sasquatch!

Dave.....is this her?

attachicon.gifdownload.jpg

A beauty compared to Sasquatch.

super%20triode.png

• Like 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hang in there Rob. I have always known that the people that give you the hardest time are the ones that like you.

My girlfriend likes him and permission granted to use her image as his latest avatar . :laugh2:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Where their is one man willing to post on this thread it may never die. muhaha muhaha muhahaha muhahahaha..

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24