IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I unlocked the secret to growing the "true" Dypsis blackstem in California....

trioderob

hahahahahahah!!! :floor::floor:

Looks like I'm going to upgrade my baronii late tonight!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

A little red and gray spray paint and I'll have one of my big kings transformed into a mature Lemeurophoenix without the wait!

• Like 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Pauleen Sullivan used to paint the leafbases of Chamaedorea hooperiana with bright red nail polish. :winkie:

• Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

I hope Geraldo is available to cover this.

• Upvote 2

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Now thats funny.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I am talking true black stem - not the fake black dust type

300px-Dypsis_sp._%27Black_Stem%27_cr.jpg

Yike that is GORGEOUS!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

ok Matty -

here is the deal.

its not the shade that makes them lose the black color - its the soil

they turn black when they are planted in acidic organic rich soil.

when in high ph soil typical of this area - they turn to green stems - there are color changes depending on the weather.

but when planted in acidic soil they are jet black even in full sun - this is not a black power - they turn black like bamboo

"I unlocked the secret"
Edited by trioderob
  • Upvote 2

Rob, is your camera broke?

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

camera is working-

the palm is in recovery stage now after rebelling against my soil.

the leaves were stunted and it had no black coloration at all

it looked like crap

as a last ditch attempt I potted it up in the most acidic - organic rich potting soil i could find and put it in full sun.

after 3 months it went from green to almost jet black

i really dont know what to do with it as i am sure it will decline if i plant it again -

Edited by trioderob
  • Upvote 1

Wow, you learn some new damn thing every day!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

camera is working-

the palm is in recovery stage now after rebelling against my soil.

the leaves were stunted and it had no black coloration at all

it looked like crap

as a last ditch attempt I potted it up in the most acidic - organic rich potting soil i could find and put it in full sun.

i really dont know what to do with it as i am sure it will decline if i plant it again -

Have you thought about pot or box planting it?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Geraldo is off tonight to cover this event Matty. Joan Rivers is coming out of retirement (death) to cove this extravaganza.... Stay tuned

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/41000/Joan-Rivers-Mouth-Surgery--41013.jpg

Sunset zone 24

Triode,

So you transplanted it, changed the soil, changed the sun exposure, the sun angle has changed, and the weather is colder, and its showing signs of new growth. But you've got it narrowed down.

• Upvote 2

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Lol

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

something besides triodes palm is on acid

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

something besides triodes palm is on acid

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

Matty-

why be a knuckle head ?

the palm is in the same location it was before but now in a pot of acidic soil

its in the same place it was last winter when it was cool but was not remotely as dark

did it ever dawn on you that I may be correct ?

there always has to be one nay sayer

Edited by trioderob

I do actually believe you trioderob; baronii is a variable species. Color depends on a lot of factors - soil, temp, sun, humidity, watering, mold on stem, combined with a particular genetic variation, etc. Kind of like a croton.... or a box of chocolates.

Although, this thread is worthless without pics.

This is a funny thread, but Triode, I Very much look fwd to yr pics as does everyone else no doubt.

Ive "never" in the flesh, or in pics seen a cultivated Black stem that "resembles" the below pic which I think is quite "photo shopped" or the likes ??

Pete :)

post-5709-0-23032900-1422177665_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Trode, Matty is just having fun. The way you set up your posts, you have to be cool with that, as it seems you nurture this kind of reaction, but relax-we are all still reading. And you have to expect this response when you tease with no photos-palmtalker!

The Cable Guy Don't You Want Somebody To Love:

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Triode,

So you transplanted it, changed the soil, changed the sun exposure, the sun angle has changed, and the weather is colder, and its showing signs of new growth. But you've got it narrowed down.

to narrow it down even more, he previously started a thread in October about how he doesn't get winter growth, yet recently posted how his trioderopsis is exploding with new growth. My head hurts...

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

"Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly

A girl with kaleidoscope eyes"

Moose, would you have her phone number ? :floor:

• Upvote 1

Triode,

to narrow it down even more, he previously started a thread in October about how he doesn't get winter growth, yet recently posted how his trioderopsis is exploding with new growth. My head hurts...

Now you are the one who set himself up - LOL

I was talking about how PALMS slow to a crawl here in winter- which they do by the way.

other plants such as my aloe are WINTER growers and slow way down in summer

the Trioderopsis grow ALL year

Edited by trioderob

Get in line Darold! I saw her first. :winkie::):floor: Nice post Moose..

Trioderob-how about those pictures?

Warhol_Waiting.jpg

Sunset zone 24

Triode,

Now you are the one who set himself up - LOL

I was talking about how PALMS slow to a crawl here in winter- which they do by the way.

other plants such as my aloe are WINTER growers and slow way down in summer

the Trioderopsis grow ALL year

well, you previously said water was the key to growth; now it's acidic soil, not water for your blackstem. Why not plant it in the ground and create an acidic environment. I'll eagerly await your next revolutionary discovery...

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

well, if you want to talk palms, here's my teddy bear opening a new frond. I live in San Diego too and I'm getting some nice growth on PALMS

post-10582-0-50893200-1422206507_thumb.j

it looked like crap

i really dont know what to do with it

Pining for the fjords?

Assuming no one is airbrushing or photo-shopping the Dypsis supermodel, the pH theory works to change the color of hydrangea flowers to either red or blue, so it is plausible.

Rob, in post #12 you said "camera is working" and palm "turned almost jet black". Please show us the photo of your palm. Thanks :)

I will post a photo of one of mine tomorrow.

BTW I don't have a ph meter. Can anyone recommend a basic unit to measure the ph of my pot medium ?

Rob. You can't make a statement like that without a picture and expect a positive response. If I said I unlocked the trick to growing a fruiting coconut in San diego but wouldn't post a pic of it, would you believe me?

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Rob. You can't make a statement like that without a picture and expect a positive response. If I said I unlocked the trick to growing a fruiting coconut in San diego but wouldn't post a pic of it, would you believe me?

No.

I wouldn't even believe me if I posted it . . .

:winkie:

post-126-0-11037600-1422245144_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"