IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dictyocaryum lamarckianum

Bennz

I'm interested in any coments on Dictyocaryum lamarckianum, how fast, how much cold can it handle, etc. Also any pictures, particularly of mature plants?

I've heard a suggestion these palms have similar requirements to Ceroxylon. Any comments on that? Are seeds ever available?

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

I wish it was even somewhat hardy. I lost two 5 gal. size last year. They didn't make it through a mild winter in a 10b Southern California climate 1 mile from the ocean. My Ceroxylon's did just fine but not my Dictyocaryum's. What a bummer!!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Bennz,

Ceroxylon has a hard time here in our garden, but Dictyocaryum grows just fine. Obviously can't help you out with cold hardiness data, but I have a couple of photos. I don't have any mature plants, though. Here are two of ours.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1174440880_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And a close-up

post-22-1174440913_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(bgl @ Mar. 20 2007,20:35)

And a close-up

WOW! That is some awesome color. Could those be grown in SoFlo?

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

I germinated some. Rats ate most of them. The rats are now DEAD.

I ended up with one little beauty which made it thru winter fine and even grew thru winter. I was so proud. Anyway we had some schizophrenic weather one autumn with one day dipping to 18C and the within two days jumping to 42C. My little baby which survived the rats had a heart attack and died. I was so sad. They don't like extreme variations in anything, and I've heard that they are a zone 11 palm.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

So what do you think is its ideal temperature?

Maybe 10-15 c at night and 20-25 C during the day?

Where else is it thriving in cultivation?

Carlo

(Carlo Morici @ Mar. 21 2007,09:04)

So what do you think is its ideal temperature?

Maybe 10-15 c at night and 20-25 C during the day?

Where else is it thriving in cultivation?

Carlo

Yep. And if you could maintain that year round with lots of humidity and rain etc you'll have the best darn Dictyocaryum's in cultivation.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It is a beautiful species, the crownshaft of the juvenile has unreal colours, the adult crown is majestic.

A picture by Martin Gibbons & Tobias Spanner picked from http://www.plantapalm.com/Vpe....num.htm

dictyocaryum_lamarckianum.jpg

"I am" probably too hot in summer... the So.Coast gets too sunny. It is still good for Trachycarpus and Howea but Hedyscepe, Juania, Ceroxylon etc. are slow survivors, suffering setback in summer and recovering in winter. Maybe some friends have the place on the cooler Northern coast at some elevation, a bit below the perfect-howea-line, in a very even climate, with cloudy summers. Who knows ???

What else? Tell us more about Dictyocaryum...

Who is growing this palm, other than BGL in upper Hilo?

Carlo

Me want one  :o

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Those are unREAL colors! Wow! What a beaut! I'm not worth it! I'm not worth it!!!

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

(Gileno Machado @ Mar. 22 2007,19:00)

Me want one  :o

You no grow one on tropical beach :o

I planted these three in full sun in July. While the old leaves have yellowed a bit, they are now growing strongly, and I would guess will do well here. I am about 5 degrees cooler than Bo at 2200 ft elevation. That is, rarely over 80f, and rarely below about 53f with a lot of dew each night.

CIMG2326.jpg

• Like 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

You're rarely over 80?  And that's enough growing heat for the tropicals?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matt,

I guess you end up pushing the envelope where ever you live. There is a lot more to the tropics than heat. You have the humidity, which is the biggest difference I noticed after moving. And the tropicals have to have it. But also, not taken into account very often, is the length of the day. No short days here. And as soon as the sun comes up, it's instant warmth. I would guess Bo is not over 85 much of the time, and as you have seen, he can grow everything.

All that being said, Cocos and Sealing Wax do not do as well at my elevation as they do lower. But the Dypsis from elevation seem to really enjoy it. And a lot of New Caledonia stuff is also from elevation, as are a lot of the philodendrons, anthuriums, and ferns.

Now I have to get back to finishing up your ohana.  :)

BTW --- Elhoagie Jack was by yesterday and I initiated him in sushi and chopsticks. It was fun to watch.  :)

Kona, on The Big Island

I dont' wanna hijack this thread but Jack...come on brotha! ???  Get with the program.  Sushi is a staple man! :o (fish face)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I'm no expert, but I believe that'd be 'bruddah' here in Hawaii... :D

(Dypsisdean @ Mar. 22 2007,20:38)

I am (...) rarely over 80f, and rarely below about 53f with a lot of dew each night.

I am rarely above 85 F and never below 50 F. But my 85 F are probably a bit too sunny for Dictyocaryum, they are 85 F for Hyophorbe. I am sure I can keep a seedling ok, but what about an emergent adult?

Dypsisdean, your three juveniles are gorgeous.

Carlo

Sadly, it doesn't sound like something that is going to survive in my area. What a beautiful palm though. Envy those who can grow it.

DypsisDean,

That little erupting volcano is way cool.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

(ZoneTenNut @ Mar. 22 2007,18:56)

Sadly, it doesn't sound like something that is going to survive in my area. What a beautiful palm though. Envy those who can grow it.

Obviously, it won't grow here either.

Dang, dang, dang!

Those pics were beautiful.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I reckon this would be one that would grow in a  sunroom during winter in a place like the South Island NZ or even England, and brought outside during summer. This means it would always be in a pot. My little ones didn't mind being inside at times, and I even brought them into the airconditioning in summer when it was too hot and they were happy. I did the same to my Leppidorachis and they were fine. Leave em out in summer in my climate and watch them rot.

regards

Tyrone

(Tyrone @ Mar. 23 2007,12:09)

...I even brought them into the airconditioning in summer when it was too hot and they were happy...

This is good news! :D

We are called "the tropics with natural air-conditioning", because of the cool dry tradewinds blowing in early Summer.  Our summer may be another potential problem for Dictyocaryum, but if a Clinostigma can take it, maybe a Dictyo can too.

The big question is: Where are the seeds?

(Carlo Morici @ Mar. 23 2007,07:54)

The big question is: Where are the seeds?

Up a tree, in South America somewhere.

Very hard to get hold of.

regards

Tyrone

Hi All

They seem to grow here in the subtropics but are very slow, they take the heat very well and also the cold, but they do seem to slow right down in the winter months. I should follow Dean's idea and plant them out in the full sun, but I will also try one in a more protected area just to be safe, they have been in pots now for about 6 years and are just a little smaller than Dean's one.

It would be nice if they even got close to looking half as good as the ones in Bo's photos. It's a very stunning palm. :)

Clayton.

• Upvote 1

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

For those on the IPS Biennial about 10 years ago, you'll remember we saw Dictyocaryum l. at about 6000 feet.  I think all were excited, thinking it would behave the same as a Ceroxylon, which were nearby.  But, alas, it doesn't.  But, I'm not convinced it is just the cold.  I've had them in a greenhouse where it didn't get below 45 degrees and they still died, some even before the temp's got below 55 degrees.  They certainly germinate easily, but it's the next step that's difficult.  I've heard of some HI growers that have trouble growing them on as well.  So, maybe there are other factors involved here.  But, the bottom line is I've never seen on of any size in So Cal outdoors.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

(Phil @ Mar. 24 2007,12:51)

For those on the IPS Biennial about 10 years ago, you'll remember we saw Dictyocaryum l. at about 6000 feet.  

:) Venezuela, 1994 - I was 19, but I still can see those Dictyocaryum!

I believe this species still has much to give to growers. It has a very large and patchy distribution range, spanning over various countries and different altitudes. In Ecuador it is even present on both sides of the Andes. As most species with a large and fragmented distribution, it can hide a lot of infraspecific diversity. I believe that different collections from different locations should be tried in cultivation, to test their potential.

Carlo

• Upvote 1

I don't know how relevant this may be, but I should add that all of mine are planted in an area where they are shaded most of the time. The two in my photos above hardly see any sun at all.

Dean,

knowing your environment, when you say 'full sun' for the palms in your photo above, I assume the 'full sun' is only for a small portion of the day? Or?

Bo-Göran

Bo,

I am sure it is very relevant, and I probably should have qualified that.

As you know, my "full sun" is milder than just about anywhere. 90-95% of the days start off nice and sunny, and then by 10-11:00 it becomes cloudy with brief patches of sun if any at all.

These get the full morning sun, but rarely see the full afternoon sun uninterrupted.

And another factor that these palms probably favor is almost every night here the dew is enough to drip off the roof, almost as a light sprinkle would. So the cool (55-65f) nights are always damp.

Kona, on The Big Island

They're a no-go-Joe in So Cal, even without any frost.

Sad, dad  . ... .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Mardy Darian has one growing in his garden. Made it through this winter. More surprising he has Deckenia nobilis growing as well. Overall palm about 6-7 feet. I was there the week after the freeze. He got 32!

That palm may have more trouble with Mardy's summer. I doubt this palm ever sees a hot dry day in habitat.

Kona, on The Big Island

Dean,

In the beginning, I was "sure" this species would be good for us in So Cal.  That proved not to be the case.  Or, at the least, it is a struggle.  At elevation where you are in HI, I would think it might be ideal.  What's the difference between your lows and Bo's?  Highs?  This sure is a beautiful plant.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Phil,

I'm at 880 ft, Dean is at 2200 ft. My lowest low-highest high about 57/58F - 86/88F. Dean's numbers right around 4-5 degrees F cooler than mine.

Bo-Göran

(bgl @ Mar. 22 2007,18:07)

I'm no expert, but I believe that'd be 'bruddah' here in Hawaii... :D

I thought it was "brah" . . .

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ceroxylons grow here in So. Cal.  My experiences, as mentioned above, is that D. lamarck will not grow.  They also hate having their roots disturbed.

That said, on a mountain in HI, they might rock.  Dean, try a few . . . .

dave

• 4 weeks later...

These palms seem to get even more colorful as they mature. An old crownshaft/frond fell off this one this morning, exposing some pretty dramatic color.

post-22-1177201539_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bo, I thought the steel blue crownshafts were cool, but that intense fuchsia is out of this world!

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Bo, all I can say is Wow that is unbelievable color.  There is just no shortage of amazing palms especialy for those of you who live in the tropics.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

• 10 years later...
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2007‎ ‎8‎:‎53‎:‎50‎, SunnyFl said:

(ZoneTenNut @ Mar. 22 2007,18:56)

Obviously, it won't grow here either.

Dang, dang, dang!

Those pics were beautiful.

Yes so beautiful, they wither in our summer heat. A no go for Florida

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

On 3/20/2007, 8:46:23, Bennz said:

I'm interested in any coments on Dictyocaryum lamarckianum, how fast, how much cold can it handle, etc. Also any pictures, particularly of mature plants?

I've heard a suggestion these palms have similar requirements to Ceroxylon. Any comments on that? Are seeds ever available?

Hey Ben, sorry I took 11 years to reply!  In short, yes, we can grow these but it's a numbers game for sure. I think I started with 100+  seed to get four plants in the ground.  They are slow, unsurprisingly, but are getting bigger.