IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Canna jaegeriana

Darold Petty

The good news;

I collected a high elevation form of this Canna in Ecuador in 1996. It grows very well here in San Francisco, a cool, humid USDA zone 10A. The stems are about 9 feet high, the foliage is reminiscent of Heliconia, hummingbirds are crazy for the flowers, it grows all 12 months of the year, every stem makes good seeds. The seeds are viable for a long time. I have a large crop of seeds.

The bad news;

The foliage is damaged by wind, similar to banana.

The seeds are difficult to germinate, with a low percentage of success. I tried scarification but that just seemed to increase rotting.

If you have a good technique share it with me!

More good news;

Send me your mailing address by PM and I will mail you free seeds. I will wait until Sunday the 25th of January and then divide the seeds by the number of responders. Each recipient will receive a minimum of 10 seeds ,based on order of response.

post-31-0-70311300-1421962169_thumb.jpg

post-31-0-60322400-1421962198_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 4

San Francisco, California

Seeds mailed minutes ago to eight recipients, everyone who made a request will receive seeds. Enjoy ! :winkie:

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Darold thanks for the seeds. I finally got around to planting them in early August, a few germinated fast. Then I forgot about them for a few weeks, All my palms in the that tray died from heat and drought, including your canna. But then this week a few cannas started growing back,  One Tough Cookie.  Since then one more seed has sprouted. 

Thanks for your generosity! 

BTW: I used spring water (in bottle) to water them, LOL! Tray I used has no drainage either. 

~ Roger

Edited by Palm crazy

Anyone else ?  I have more seeds now, although not as many as the first offer. PM me by Friday, Sept. 9th for free seeds.

Please share your thoughts about the best technique for germination, thanks ! 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my tuppence worth on germination.

Anyone who's attempted canna seeds know about the hard seed coat and the danger to life and limb trying to use a file/hacksaw/nail clippers to pierce this. All i do now is place the seeds in a cup, boil a kettle, make a hot beverage(different cup), cover seeds in first cup with boiled water, listen for the cracking noise of the seed coats. After a couple of minutes, drain the water and place seeds in your preferred growing medium. I've used the damp paper towel in ziploc bag method to good effect. Once you see the white root emerging which usually happens in 2-7 days, pot up separately.

The hot beverage is optional but why waste a boiled kettle;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks very much for the tuppence ! 

I mailed the seeds today to Bosnia, Canada (2), and Fresno.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016‎ ‎1‎:‎47‎:‎05‎, Flounder said:

Could I try them next time you have some please? I've talked a good game about germination, just need to demonstrate it!

Send me your mailing address by PM.  You and Chris Chance will receive the last seeds.

I have had just about 100% germination on these. There are just two seeds that haven't sprouted. I'm looking forward to seeing how these grow outside for me. Thanks Darold for your generosity! 

I mailed the last seeds yesterday to Sussex,England and Moreno Valley, CA.  If this Canna grows well for you recipients then remember my example, and pass on your seed to a third party gardener.  Thanks !  :greenthumb:   

2 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

I mailed the last seeds yesterday to Sussex,England and Moreno Valley, CA.  If this Canna grows well for you recipients then remember my example, and pass on your seed to a third party gardener.  Thanks !  :greenthumb:   

Brilliant, I'll put the kettle on;)

Seeds have arrived. Let the spouting begin.

Thank you Darold! I will most definitely give some away once I have some available.  

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd update you on these seeds.  I got just about 100% germination.  The squirrels took some, but what seeds were left have grown into this! 1477847886905-1599245985.thumb.jpg.16124

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I have have acquired seeds of this species twice. I scarified them as with other Canna spp seeds and have had  good% of germination. Then, the problems start. Most of the seedlings died (damp off) before I could transfer them to their own, small containers. Bottom line- I have now succeeded with one of the seedlings, "uppotted" it twice and it already has several offsets. This species wants copious quantities of water and leaves can even burn in morning sum in the summer, here in Orange County, Calif.

Note: Most species of Canna grow in somewhat shaded conditions in their natural habitats. Despite the conventional wisdom, the species do not require full sun conditions to flourish in horticulture, especially in hot summer climates.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alan 85,  Welcome to Palmtalk !  :)  Sorry, but I don't have seed at this time.   

On 5/16/2021 at 8:53 AM, Darold Petty said:

Alan 85,  Welcome to Palmtalk !  :)  Sorry, but I don't have seed at this time.   

Hey Darold, do you know the root hardiness of this species of canna?

No,  I don't have a clue, sorry.   Even though this species has a vast geographical distribution, my plant was sourced from high elevation cloud forest in Ecuador.  Here in SF, my microclimate is similar, we do not receive any warmth in summer, but also never get winter temps below freezing.

This just shows how crude the USDA ratings are, ....both SF and south Florida are zone 10.

3 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

No i don't have a clue, sorry.   Even though this species has a vast geographical distribution, my plant was sourced from high elevation cloud forest in Ecuador.  Here in SF, my microclimate is similar, we do not receive any warmth in summer, but also never get winter temps below freezing.

This just shows how crude the USDA ratings are, ....both SF and south Florida are zone 10.

Okay, just curious on whether it will survive in the ground at my location. I have some seeds that I need to start and I haven't found much available information on this species.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have any more viable seeds I would love to try and grow some. 

I have a acre property that was barren when i moved in 4 years ago. 

Trying to basically reforest it with tropical plants from around the world. 

High hopes !

EJ

• 1 year later...

You have any seeds available for this species? If not, I don’t mind the rhizome if you have extra? I’m a Canna collector and I would love to have this one for my collection. Thanks 🙏 

Mea culpa, I have not paid much attention to my plant lately.  I will be more aware of the future seed production.    :unsure:  

• 6 months later...

Thanks so much for your response. Just to follow up with you if you have any update for your plants. I don’t mind if you have any rhizomes that love to share? I’m willing to pay you shipping cost for that if seeds not ava. Thanks 🙏 in advance! 😊

• 4 months later...

On 10/12/2022 at 6:13 PM, Darold Petty said:

Mea culpa, I have not paid much attention to my plant lately.  I will be more aware of the future seed production.    :unsure:  

Yes. I’m hoping more seeds are eventually available. Thanks!