IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show the Biggest Chamaedorea radicalis (Trunking Form) You Have

Alicehunter2000

Man, what a beautiful hardy palm. I'm working on acquiring some for the zoo.

Jeremy Breland
Norfolk, Va: USDA hardiness zone 8a, AHS heat zone 5, Sunset climate zone 31
Hot and humid summers; cool and moist winters.
Jacksonville FL: USDA hardiness zone 9a/9b, AHS heat zone 9, Sunset climate zone 28
Hot and humid summers; warm and moist winters punctuated by cold spells.

Know of any sources in Florida that may have this palm available?

Jeremy Breland
Norfolk, Va: USDA hardiness zone 8a, AHS heat zone 5, Sunset climate zone 31
Hot and humid summers; cool and moist winters.
Jacksonville FL: USDA hardiness zone 9a/9b, AHS heat zone 9, Sunset climate zone 28
Hot and humid summers; warm and moist winters punctuated by cold spells.

Wow! I don't know David, yours has got some size to it....that one looks fully sun hardy too!

I cheated and bought this one and it was already about 6ft. (approx. 2 meters) but it has grown steadily these last 2 years and now it is about 8ft. oa.attachicon.gif20150118_120908.jpgattachicon.gif20150118_120838.jpg

Gorgeous example and great looking patio/atrium you have there.

Wow! Thats big. I had no idea they can reach this height! Mine are old and are only 3- 4 feet long and very slow growing. Maybe i need some different strain of seeds.... They probably look best planted in a group of at least five specimens.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

How about the ONLY one I have..but am happy to have it. Pic taken where it will reside inside the house in front of a North facing window where there is always bright light surrounded by other shade loveing species. This is in basement where it will always be a bit more cooler than rest of house

.post-9928-0-21885900-1422573340_thumb.jp

C. microspadix does good under those conditions as well

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Just measured my C. Radicalis. She comes in at over 14' + tall. I've had an amazing growth rate on this palm for may years. Although not my favorite palm I do enjoy looking at her from time to time.

Pictures to follow

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Just measured my C. Radicalis. She comes in at over 14' + tall. I've had an amazing growth rate on this palm for may years. Although not my favorite palm I do enjoy looking at her from time to time.

Pictures to follow

Outside I'm sure? Anxious to see your pics. I'll be happy if mine stops at 8/10 feet in the house otherwise it will have to over winter in the garage and be a potted outdoor palm when it's nice outside.

Josh, it's not real unless there's pictures.....lol

BTW do you ever ship palms?

Josh, it's not real unless there's pictures.....lol

BTW do you ever ship palms?

I know., I don't want to talk it up and not post (Hmm sounds familiar like over at the black stem thread..lol)

Sunset zone 24

Hey, I'm totally willing to talk it up and not post. I think my tallest one is about 8 feet tall. I will post a photo later. I have 8 of them. They grow slowly but are gorgeous and will take any amount of cold that my climate can throw at them. The rumor is that they take 15 degrees Fahrenheit.

Jeremy, you could check www.plantant.com to see which nurseries have chamaedorea radicalis in stock. I know that Action Theory nursery in Goulds, FL used to have a whole bunch of them the height of your head. They were cheap too. You just show up with cash and somebody there will sell you whatever you want. You'll have to speak Spanish, of course.

I just got some chamaedorea radicalis x microspadix hybrids from Tank (his name on this forum) and he may be able to sell you some too. They are hybrids with the non-trunking for of c. radicalis, but they apparently have been known to start trunking, thanks to the microspadix lineage. They will be slow-growing, but perhaps of some long term interest. Plus, Gainesville is a lot closer to you in Jacksonville than Goulds/Homestead is.

Good luck,

Sandy L.

Always wondered about that Action Theory nursery....they have an amazing variety of unusual palms there.

Ok, here is some pic's of my C. Radicalis "trunking" form that's growing in my yard. Its 5' taller than my 10' garage roof. It's 15' tall over all and growing and seeding profusely. NachoCarl (fellow palm Talker) from Vista ca. is 6'1' tall so you get an idea of the scale.

post-7434-0-03078900-1422742305_thumb.jp nachoCarl for scale (he is 6'1' tall)

post-7434-0-03659800-1422742365_thumb.jp looking straight up the multiple trunks

post-7434-0-55199000-1422742381_thumb.jp trunk detail

post-7434-0-92945200-1422742392_thumb.jp some children from seed I germinated

post-7434-0-47422600-1422742425_thumb.jp 5' over the 10' garage roof

maybe some day I will clean all the dead leaf sheaths or just cut the dang thing out entirely.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

^^^ I know! pesky to Josh but excitment to us. I'm sure he'd laugh to know here in Omaha people PAY $18 for 1 gallon Mexican Fan Palms.

Ok, here is some pic's of my C. Radicalis "trunking" form that's growing in my yard. Its 5' taller than my 10' garage roof. It's 15' tall over all and growing and seeding profusely. NachoCarl (fellow palm Talker) from Vista ca. is 6'1' tall so you get an idea of the scale.

attachicon.gifc-rad 5.jpeg nachoCarl for scale (he is 6'1' tall)

Josh
the small palm that is seen is Brahea moorei?

GIUSEPPE

I believe you, Josh, but I can't even see the palm--the one picture looks like a bunch of radicalis planted or a clustering Chamaedorea--I just don't even know what I am looking at! Always get a kick out of palmtalkers hanging with fellow palmtalkers...

15 ft. WOW! ...... excellent Josh ..... you knocked Jim off his throne as the Radical King (sounds like the name of a skate punk band)

Darold. ...I really want one of those packs but really really tight on money .... and got to renew my IPS membership. If I could do it without my wife knowing....hmm...lol

15 ft. WOW! ...... excellent Josh ..... you knocked Jim off his throne as the Radical King (sounds like the name of a skate punk band)

Darold. ...I really want one of those packs but really really tight on money .... and got to renew my IPS membership. If I could do it without my wife knowing....hmm...lol

Seperate bank account and card.......My wife would be so pissed if she knew how many palms I "Really" buy. Cashiers checks work too.....

Hi David,

This is my biggest one, but surely not the biggest amongst yours...

324971DSCN9735.jpg

901997DSCN9738.jpg

Salut Gilles

il est magnifique !

Peux tu me dire chez qui tu l'as eu ? (Xavier ?) j'en cherche un désepérement assez haut déjà!

Olivier

I believe you, Josh, but I can't even see the palm--the one picture looks like a bunch of radicalis planted or a clustering Chamaedorea--I just don't even know what I am looking at! Always get a kick out of palmtalkers hanging with fellow palmtalkers...

It was challenging to take a picture of this palm since it is such a tight spot in the yard. It was impossible to get the full monty shot. Its always fun to hang out with fellow palm nuts. :winkie:

Sunset zone 24

attachicon.gifc-rad 5.jpeg nachoCarl for scale (he is 6'1' tall)

Josh
the small palm that is seen is Brahea moorei?

I love that plant!!!

Sunset zone 24

Hi David,

This is my biggest one, but surely not the biggest amongst yours...

324971DSCN9735.jpg

901997DSCN9738.jpg

Salut Gilles

il est magnifique !

Peux tu me dire chez qui tu l'as eu ? (Xavier ?) j'en cherche un désepérement assez haut déjà!

Olivier

Bonjour Gilles.

Il a quel âge, votre chamaedorea radicalis? Il a l’air plus grand que les miens. Mon plus grand c. radicalis doit avoir environ 2,5 mètres en ce moment, mais le tronc n’est pas aussi large que le vôtre. Est-ce que vous êtes certain qu’il soit bien chamaedorea radicalis et non pas une autre sorte de chamaedorea?

En tout cas, c’est vraiment un bel arbre. Bravo.

Yeye i sent you a pm.

Sandy loam,

I bought this chamaedorea some years ago. It was tagged as radicalis. And for me that is a radicalis or maybe an hybrid? From what i saw with other radicalis this spiecie have different forms...

Salut ;)

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

• 5 years later...
On 1/31/2015 at 5:16 PM, Josh-O said:

post-7434-0-03078900-1422742305_thumb.jp nachoCarl for scale (he is 6'1' tall)

post-7434-0-03659800-1422742365_thumb.jp looking straight up the multiple trunks

post-7434-0-55199000-1422742381_thumb.jp trunk detail

post-7434-0-92945200-1422742392_thumb.jp some children from seed I germinated

post-7434-0-47422600-1422742425_thumb.jp 5' over the 10' garage roof

maybe some day I will clean all the dead leaf sheaths or just cut the dang thing out entirely.

if they were a little thicker and slightly taller and a red trunk but planted very close they would look like a lipstick palm

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson