IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show the Biggest Chamaedorea radicalis (Trunking Form) You Have

Alicehunter2000

Really gaining a great respect for these palms. No, you can't hang a hammock from them and they are not fast growing or have the star power of your favorite dypsis species; but they are very cold hardy and tough. How big do they get? Show us your largest one.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Hi David,

This is my biggest one, but surely not the biggest amongst yours...

324971DSCN9735.jpg

901997DSCN9738.jpg

• Upvote 1

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Wow! I don't know David, yours has got some size to it....that one looks fully sun hardy too!

I cheated and bought this one and it was already about 6ft. (approx. 2 meters) but it has grown steadily these last 2 years and now it is about 8ft. oa.post-97-0-84964200-1421604468_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-54634100-1421604517_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Wow! I don't know David, yours has got some size to it....that one looks fully sun hardy too!

I cheated and bought this one and it was already about 6ft. (approx. 2 meters) but it has grown steadily these last 2 years and now it is about 8ft. oa.attachicon.gif20150118_120908.jpgattachicon.gif20150118_120838.jpg

Why are theese palms inside?

Edited by gilles06
  • Upvote 1

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

I took a few pictures of some of mine and I'll post them sometime today. The taller ones are twelve feet tall.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

post-181-0-14830900-1421611951_thumb.jpg post-181-0-36360500-1421611977_thumb.jpg

12 feet and growing

post-181-0-70008300-1421612015_thumb.jpg post-181-0-33613300-1421612049_thumb.jpg

Year round fruit..................................... These volunteers will form an attractive grove eventually.

post-181-0-08376800-1421612081_thumb.jpg post-181-0-47835000-1421612112_thumb.jpg

Stem to right of Caryota trunk is C.radicalis............ Some trunking and non-trunking forms

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Jim outstanding examples of this beautiful palm…I could look at your garden all day.

Gilles06 your palm looks like it has grown a lot since the last time you posted a picture.

Awesome pics guys. I will have my first seeds on my palm this spring.

Alright Jim....that's what I'm talking about!

Your the king so far!

Mine are not inside.....but in a screened pool area. These palms are great for courtyards and around pools.

If you ever want to get rid of any of those pesky seeds......just sayin

That's awesome. Uhhh...no that's pretty cool.. Like a miniature palm..

Edited by SailorBold

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

What's crazy Jimmy is that these delicate looking palms can handle temps down to 20 degrees (at least) with no damage.

Yeah let me rephrase.. just cool. I really like the color of the trunk.. and that it looks like a bamboo culm.. I saw a palm trunk on here like that somewhere but I cant remember where or what species it was. They are neat I do believe I will add some to my collection. And the 20F without damage..that would work for me (better than washingtonia on some reports)...

I try not to plant anything in front of the windows of my home- due to my limited southern microclimate space.. but that's where they will go. I just read like you said that they are adaptable to full sun, although when my palms get bigger they will be shielded. Seems like a winner. Palm crazy mentioned it but I never gave it much thought until now..

They are beautiful!

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Holy crap these things are gorgeous when they start getting some height to them. For anyone in zone 8, this is the most sure bet to grow a crownshaft palm and have that ultra tropical look. But you just have to wait a decade or two to get there if you have started growing one from strap leaves, like me lol Mine aren't nearly as big (~2 feet) and have a few spots of cold damage from our 12 degree low, but they're coming along nicely. Great pics. This is motivating me to get some more come spring-time.

I have a bunch to put in this spring as understory to my jungle. They are in the greenhouse for now. C. microspadix is also a cool jungly small palm that is cold hardy.

Just don't expect to reach the perfect specimen growth of Jim. I saw his garden in person. He has the touch.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Just don't expect to reach the perfect specimen growth of Jim. I saw his garden in person. He has the touch.

Keith, you make me blush. Anyhow, these Chamaedorea are tough little buggers. Give them fertile soil, average water, and a partial shade and they reward you. I'm not sure how fast they are in colder climates, but in my climate, once trunk forms, they can easily put on two feet of growth in a year.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Ahh, so his is the exception and not the rule. It IS the most beautiful of that species I've seen in a pic.

12 degrees! .....and survived!......that's fantastic!

See no reason they could not be grown indoors....most people are just so happy that these are cold hardy that they choose to grow them outside. There are a lot of Chamaedoria species that can be grown inside so you could put these outside and grow less hardy species inside

I had one indoors for two years and it looked great. Then I found a perfect planting spot for it. Deer have eaten every single leaf and it hasn't sent up another spear. If you're looking for an indoor plant, it's certainly a fine one, but if your area is like mine, Chamaedorea elegans will be much easier to find for sale.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

That's killer. Can you tell trunking from non as a young palm. I have some that are supposedly trunking type but I'm not certain.

Holy crap these things are gorgeous when they start getting some height to them. For anyone in zone 8, this is the most sure bet to grow a crownshaft palm and have that ultra tropical look. But you just have to wait a decade or two to get there if you have started growing one from strap leaves, like me lol Mine aren't nearly as big (~2 feet) and have a few spots of cold damage from our 12 degree low, but they're coming along nicely. Great pics. This is motivating me to get some more come spring-time.

Mine lost one of its spears at 19F under a high pine canopy and had moderate leaf damage. It was about 6' tall at the time. It recovered like a champ.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

That's killer. Can you tell trunking from non as a young palm. I have some that are supposedly trunking type but I'm not certain.

from what ive seen the non trunking var. has thicker leaves and grows at a slight slant (tillering) while the trunking var. has a thinner leaf and grows more straight. also the trunking ones i was growing seemed lighter green. at one time i had about 20 of each.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

from what ive seen the non trunking var. has thicker leaves and grows at a slight slant (tillering) while the trunking var. has a thinner leaf and grows more straight. also the trunking ones i was growing seemed lighter green. at one time i had about 20 of each.

Yes, Steve's right. The trunking variety has leaflets that are slimmer and lighter in texture than the non-trunking variety. My non-trunkers are slightly deeper green too. This applies to young plants and old ones alike.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

And there suspected hybrids between the 2 as well as I recall

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I had one indoors for two years and it looked great. Then I found a perfect planting spot for it. Deer have eaten every single leaf and it hasn't sent up another spear. If you're looking for an indoor plant, it's certainly a fine one, but if your area is like mine, Chamaedorea elegans will be much easier to find for sale.

I have a C. Alternans from Jungle Music inside the house now for 2yrs and doing great and Phil is holding onto a C. Tepejilote along with a C. Warscewiczii waiting for break in the weather to ship. But you know how it is, can't have enough palms.

I have a C. Alternans from Jungle Music inside the house now for 2yrs and doing great and Phil is holding onto a C. Tepejilote along with a C. Warscewiczii waiting for break in the weather to ship. But you know how it is, can't have enough palms.

Yep. Ch. oblongata has done really well for me indoors too. Ch. elegans is always available in the indoor plant area of big box stores, but it's grown like Dypsis lutescens, there are way too many in one pot.

Back on topic, what is the natural geographic distribution of Ch. radicalis? Is there a different area for different forms, or do their native ranges overlap?

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

And there suspected hybrids between the 2 as well as I recall

Indeed there are.

My own Death Camp had a nice colony of all-girl tree-types and the only boy around was a bush type. Plenty of seed was set over a number of years, and it was fertile. Some seeds ended up getting mailed all over the world. It appears that F1 tree and bush type crosses will have the tree-type phenotype.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Let's all give it up for Jim--I got home and remeasured my palm and man, 12 feet is TALL!!! You Grow, Boy!

I have a couple tall ones but since they are hybreds, the trunk is thicker but aren't as tall.

I wish I could get some pure trunking var seed.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

This thread is costing me money after seeing some great pics posted! Had to order this from Phil today....

post-9928-0-78073900-1421933543_thumb.jp

Very cool....congratulations. ...you should be rewarded for years to come.