IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yike - Hurricane Andrew video 1992

DoomsDave

For whatever reason, this one hit me.

I'm sure those of you who were there might have an opinion or two.

This was shot by a 14 year old kid, dad driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAQtTkwpyBM

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Or this one, guys playing in the wind at 1:27, more or less.

This was Katrina, but still. Play in the wind? yike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j51cCHYjoK0

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

A top 20 list of the most damaging hurricanes, along with pictures of a few:http://www.theledger.com/news/20180824/do-you-remember-aug-24-1992-and-hurricane-andrew

This was in the newspaper to commemorate the 26th Anniversary of Hurricane Andrew.  There are pictures from some of the hurricanes here as well.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

The picture of the devastation of the Homestead Airforce Base after Andrew said it all. Wooden sticks penetrating large Royal Palm trunks!

• Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

My house was on the northern eyewall. When the glass in my windows started breaking, I went into an interior bathroom. Then, there was a large WHOOMPH sound, and I could see the sky. My roof had lifted off. I pulled a bunch of drywall over me and spent the next 4 to 5 hours on my elbows and knees with a bathtub, a toilet, and a small piece of furniture holding up the drywall. The house was totaled. Afterward, the Florida Turnpike was closed to traffic for several days and all lanes were used for one-way traffic for emergency vehicles.. I recall going across an overpass and seeing a convoy of Florida Power and Light vehicles that stretch for as far as I could see in both directions. Later, I made the trip shown in the video. I especially recall condo buildings along the turnpike with all units completely gutted. But it's amazing how completely the area recovered later.

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Isn't Hurricane Andrew at least partially responsible for the growth of the towns along US-27 (Clewiston, Lake Placid, Sebring, etc.)?

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

the most financially damaging hurricanes on the list did most of their damage  in the US with flooding.  Andrew was not nearly as wide as Irma, but it had much more violent winds when it made landfall.  Building codes were changed due to andrew damage on housing.  Houses built since 1996 have their roofs strapped on with big metal brackets, and roof lines with excessive uplift were prohibited in new construction.  My aunt lived in homestead in 1992, her 2 story house was completely flattened to 3-4' tall.  Irma, Andrew, Allen and Camille were cat 5 over the water but only camille(est 190mph) and andrew(165mph) hit land as cat 5 storms.  Camille was estimated at 190mph when it hit mississippi in 1969 but they had to estimate wind velocity as it destroyed all wind velocity recording instruments..

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Nos. 11, 9 & 5: Charley, Wilma, Irma. Got really up close & personal with those.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

3 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Nos. 11, 9 & 5: Charley, Wilma, Irma. Got really up close & personal with those.

Got decked by Charley, Frances, and Jeanne in 2004 (they crossed over Polk).  Last year, Irma gave us a wallop after all of you down in the southwest took the worst of it.

Lakeland, FL

I especially remember Andrew because at the time it struck FL we were still living in VA but had sold our business and committed to move to the Ft. Myers/Cape Coral area sometime in 1993. We watched the aftermath of the storm in amazement but our resolve wasn't swayed a bit. We emptied our closets of many of our quilts and blankets and donated them for storm relief. After Charley I knew of people so traumatized they fled the area. Hurricanes, like floods, tornadoes, blizzards and earthquakes are part of nature and part of life. You can't ignore them, but you can't live your life in abject fear of them.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.