Sign in to follow this  
DoomsDave

Yike - Hurricane Andrew video 1992

IHB1979

That first video is crazy. I think it's been 9 years since a we had a hurricane here. I imagine we are due.

kinzyjr

A top 20 list of the most damaging hurricanes, along with pictures of a few:http://www.theledger.com/news/20180824/do-you-remember-aug-24-1992-and-hurricane-andrew

This was in the newspaper to commemorate the 26th Anniversary of Hurricane Andrew.  There are pictures from some of the hurricanes here as well.

bubba

The picture of the devastation of the Homestead Airforce Base after Andrew said it all. Wooden sticks penetrating large Royal Palm trunks!

• Upvote 1

mike in kurtistown

My house was on the northern eyewall. When the glass in my windows started breaking, I went into an interior bathroom. Then, there was a large WHOOMPH sound, and I could see the sky. My roof had lifted off. I pulled a bunch of drywall over me and spent the next 4 to 5 hours on my elbows and knees with a bathtub, a toilet, and a small piece of furniture holding up the drywall. The house was totaled. Afterward, the Florida Turnpike was closed to traffic for several days and all lanes were used for one-way traffic for emergency vehicles.. I recall going across an overpass and seeing a convoy of Florida Power and Light vehicles that stretch for as far as I could see in both directions. Later, I made the trip shown in the video. I especially recall condo buildings along the turnpike with all units completely gutted. But it's amazing how completely the area recovered later.

• Upvote 1

kinzyjr

Isn't Hurricane Andrew at least partially responsible for the growth of the towns along US-27 (Clewiston, Lake Placid, Sebring, etc.)?

sonoranfans

the most financially damaging hurricanes on the list did most of their damage  in the US with flooding.  Andrew was not nearly as wide as Irma, but it had much more violent winds when it made landfall.  Building codes were changed due to andrew damage on housing.  Houses built since 1996 have their roofs strapped on with big metal brackets, and roof lines with excessive uplift were prohibited in new construction.  My aunt lived in homestead in 1992, her 2 story house was completely flattened to 3-4' tall.  Irma, Andrew, Allen and Camille were cat 5 over the water but only camille(est 190mph) and andrew(165mph) hit land as cat 5 storms.  Camille was estimated at 190mph when it hit mississippi in 1969 but they had to estimate wind velocity as it destroyed all wind velocity recording instruments..

PalmatierMeg

Nos. 11, 9 & 5: Charley, Wilma, Irma. Got really up close & personal with those.

kinzyjr
3 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Nos. 11, 9 & 5: Charley, Wilma, Irma. Got really up close & personal with those.

Got decked by Charley, Frances, and Jeanne in 2004 (they crossed over Polk).  Last year, Irma gave us a wallop after all of you down in the southwest took the worst of it.

PalmatierMeg

I especially remember Andrew because at the time it struck FL we were still living in VA but had sold our business and committed to move to the Ft. Myers/Cape Coral area sometime in 1993. We watched the aftermath of the storm in amazement but our resolve wasn't swayed a bit. We emptied our closets of many of our quilts and blankets and donated them for storm relief. After Charley I knew of people so traumatized they fled the area. Hurricanes, like floods, tornadoes, blizzards and earthquakes are part of nature and part of life. You can't ignore them, but you can't live your life in abject fear of them.

• Upvote 1