IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Giant "Pony Tail Palm" for Free

PALM MOD

I'm posting this in hopes this tree can be saved. It is in the San Luis Obispo, California area. Contact username "slosquirrel" for more information, or ask your questions here.

Ponytail Palm Tree needs to be removed. Also referred to as an Elephants Foot Palm (because of the trunk). The scientific name is Beaucarnea Recurvate.

Tree is approx. 15ft tall at the highest point and the base / trunk approx. 5ft in diameter. Has 3 large stalks (that could likely be separated to produce 3 individual trees). Tree is very mature (approx. 30 years old) and healthy, but could benefit from some pruning and TLC. A specimen this large is very rare as they are usually confined to smaller pots (1-5 gallons).

I'm in the process of renovating my home and it's too large for the front yard. But I can't bring myself to cut down such a rare and beautiful tree.

I'm offering it free to a good home, but you would need to coordinate its removal. It's in a spot that's very easily accessed for removal activities.

I've seen trees this size listed for up to $2,000.

post-430-0-87172400-1421199265_thumb.jpg

post-430-0-76938900-1421199266_thumb.jpg

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Shame it has to be removed. It could easily be worked into a new landscape design. Does not look to be a problem for the sidewalk!

And I might add that "neoflora" is a landscape professional.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

This thing weighs much more than most people think. They may need a crane to move it.

I'm in a similar dilemma, although mine is about half that size. To let it grow, or to take it out while I still can...

Thank you for posting this Palm Mod.

It's not interferring with the walkway now, but that will eventually get re-routed (hopefully sooner then later). I hate to see it go, but bought the house 2 years ago, and the outadated exterior (paint, landscaping, flatwork) needs to be re-done and the front yard is much to small for it. I live on the outside of a corner and my lot is pie shaped (small in the front, large in the rear)

I've already had a few interested parties off of my craigslist ad and am hoping someone knowledgable will remove it and give it the care it deserves.

As discussed on here I don't think the roots will prove an issue but rather the overall weight of the tree/trunk.

I'll let you all know how things progress.

Thank you again everyone.

Maybe you should consider someone with ldsp. design experience. I think it could work into a really nice drought tolerant garden. it will add value and curb appeal to your design. Plants are time less!

Its a beautiful Tree Scott!! I hope someone will give it a good home. If for some reason you need help locating a reputable crane operator to give it a lift shoot me a PM. I have some great connections I can pass your way.

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 4 months later...

Ever find a home for that beast? Did they have good chiropractors lined up and waiting for them?

Edited by Palmdude

• 3 weeks later...

I just moved 2 this size to my home that were free as long as I dug them up and transported them myself. Me and my brother in law did by our selves. Surprisingly they were not as heavy as I thought had to be one of the easiest palms to move and transport besides hanging out of the back of my f 150 haha