IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bizarre little Rhapidophyllum hystrix with 360° leaves

Bigfish

This is growing in a courtyard in very deep shade at the UF Campus, Gainesville, FL. I apologize for the horrible quality pictures. My camera is 10 years old and it's just a crap shoot anymore whether or not they turn out halfway decent.

There is only one small trunk, and it is just a couple of inches tall, yet the palm is a flowering adult (male). It has a cycad-like appearance!

IMG_0031_zps77d5b310.jpg

IMG_0033_zpsc5cda06e.jpg

IMG_0032_zps7c666007.jpg

IMG_0037_zpsc8513e18.jpg

IMG_0038_zps8705a5b1.jpg

Loving all the needle palm varieties you are posting

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I wasn't aware that there was so much variety to our cold hardy natives until now!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

To be honest, most people don't give them a second look. I have trained my eyes to notice anything unusual about plants. I miss a lot of stuff, but I spot a lot as well. It makes it more fun when you are looking for something unusual. Kind of like a treasure hunt, LOL!

Very, very cool. Stuff like this is what makes the hobby really fun. You can have the same species, yet depending on where its grown, how much shade/sun, soil type, etc, it can have unique characteristics. Good eye. I'm still trying to be more keen on details like this.

ArchAngel- No longer in Myrtle Beach? I'll actually be visiting L.A. later on this summer.

Edited by smithgn

Don't forget genetic variation as well! And yes, I moved here a few weeks ago. -the mission hills area. Lots of great palms and I'm exited to learn all about this place and what I can grow.

Very, very cool. Stuff like this is what makes the hobby really fun. You can have the same species, yet depending on where its grown, how much shade/sun, soil type, etc, it can have unique characteristics. Good eye. I'm still trying to be more keen on details like this.

ArchAngel- No longer in Myrtle Beach? I'll actually be visiting L.A. later on this summer.

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Very interesting and you have a good eye to catch this. From what I can remember there are some nice palm specimens on campus.

Very interesting and you have a good eye to catch this. From what I can remember there are some nice palm specimens on campus.

Thanks, and yes there are some great palms on campus! I didn't make it all around campus, so I have plenty to check out next visit. My folks live in Gainesville, so I'm trying to make it a point to visit all the natural areas close to there. Still need to see O'Leno state Park and Mike Roess Gold Head Branch State Park (which has to be one of the longest names ever for a state park) too.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice specimen!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Astonishing how much the needle palm resembles in this aspect the mediterranean fan palm. There also specimens of latter with circular leaf blade. It is much more a recognized cultivar since ending of 19th century with own name (var. orbicularis). But if Rhapidophyllum and Chamaerops stay indeed genetically close, then no surprise at all and maybe there can be found with some research even greater variation within former, as is the case with Chamaerops.

Astonishing how much the needle palm resembles in this aspect the mediterranean fan palm. There also specimens of latter with circular leaf blade. It is much more a recognized cultivar since ending of 19th century with own name (var. orbicularis). But if Rhapidophyllum and Chamaerops stay indeed genetically close, then no surprise at all and maybe there can be found with some research even greater variation within former, as is the case with Chamaerops.

I've seen Trachycarpus fortunei with 360° leaves also. In fact I have one growing in Gainesville. It's a nice form.