IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

the legendary "split palm" of Hearst Castle.........

trioderob

One of my favorite California places to tour. I don't recall that palm either. Did the guide tell the story behind it? Amazing it's able to draw up enough water through the remaining trunk to survive, apparently as well as it is.

Nice photography as always, although it's hard to take a bad picture at the Castle.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

I was not with a tour at the time- found it on my own. even non palm guys were tripping out when they saw it.

side tip : if anyone on the forum is planning to go there for sure pay the money to take all 3 tours - not just the main bottom floor tour

-trust me on this one

Agree. We have been several times. Haven't done the evening tour which I have always wanted to do.

That place is bad #$%!! Cool looking palm as well :)

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

15579905924_c2d51ac9a7_c.jpg

My dream library.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Holy holes!!!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Now that's a survivor.

Hearst certainly got high on ostentation.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I was there for the second time last spring. I didn't see that palm tree. The elephant rookery a few miles north of the castle is a must see!

The castle is really nice, my house sucks!

Randy

test

The more I thought about it Trioderob I think on one of our tours we came out on the backside of a building and did see the split palm as we walked around the perimeter a bit. I might have a photo buried somewhere. Are those the tennis courts beyond? I might be totally off base but possibly recall the guide saying it got hit by lightning. Does this make sense? Hubby doesn't recall this at all. Possibly saw it on the cottages and kitchen tour.

One year we were there around Christmas time. Great time to visit. They have their poinsettas out on tables along with garlands and such and there was the scent of cinnamon sticks wafting everywhere I recall. Remember it being very tastefully festive. Easy to spend hours if not days there trying to see everything. Another worthwhile thing to take in is the Imax movie of Hearst Castle "Building the Dream" at the Hearst Castle theater. Views you will never get to see any other way.

Nothing succeeds like excess. :winkie: Opulent chaos, but I really like the outdoor pool. The indoor pool, while lavishly beautiful, is also a little creepy to me. A fantastic place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. (too cold)

The gaping palm is truly exotic. Is it a Brahea?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

As Randy suggested, don't miss the elephant seal rookery on the coast highway, not far from the turnoff.

DON'T mess with the seals, though. They're huge and their teeth are fierce. Keep at a safe distance as the signs admonish.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ehhh. .....looks like my second vacation home.....don't get down there to visit much

What? Doesn't everybody have a home like this?

But now the palm.....That is cool!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I just saw a TV show with the legendary animal expert Jack Hanna featuring this place. Apparently it used to host quite a large animal collection. The photos of the castle and surrounding ranch were stunning. The kind of wealth it would take to not only build but maintain such a place is mind boggling. Although nobody said why The decendants of Mr. Hearst donated the castle to the state of California, I can imagine that just the cost of upkeep would be overwhelming.

It looks like a truly amazing place, I would love to tour it if I'm ever out that way.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Apart from upkeep, the property taxes were going to drain them, even on the undeveloped land which was vast. Believe when you take the tour they talk about it or maybe it was asked of our tour guide. Donating to the State a good portion of the ranch was a win for California and win for the family I suspect. The family retained some of the property and does have a working ranch and sell beef from there.

Also caught an old episode a while ago of "California Gold" (Huell ?) when they visited the ranch so got to see some of the video of that property. It's just stunning views of California coast from everywhere. Julia, the architect, did an amazing job creating something so large, incorporating so many elements and still made many of the rooms seem comfy and very intimate. I doubt I'd love to "live" in the castle proper but there were one or two of the cottages I liked although I'd want the plumbing and kitchen updated. Regardless of whatever you thought of Hearst or his chosen style in decor he did create a breathtaking home by any standard on one of the nicest sections of California. I would love to explore his warehouse where many of his acquistions still are housed. He loved Egyptian statues and they complimented the palmscape of his many gardens.

Rob,

Thanks a lot for posting! What a mindboggling place! :bemused: Not the coziest of places, but hey, can't have everything I guess even if you're a gazillionare! :laugh2:

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

We were there a year ago, amazing place. Only thing is, we had two screaming kids strapped to our backs and didn't enjoy a thing, and couldn't go inside to the upper levels.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

A couple of extensions built on and some new curtains, I could feel quite at home in that place.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Hearst had to sell a ton of newspapers at a nickel apiece to build that, don't ya' think?

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"