IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistonia chinensis Rescue

Alicehunter2000

First day of 2015 decided to finally save a palm from certain destruction. An overpass is being built and businesses and associated landscape palms are being torn down to make way for the construction. This chinese fan palm was knocked over about a month ago and was hanging on by a few ro

ots. Decided to make the rescue to kick off the new year. Will this palm make it? We will find out.post-97-0-41591900-1420169936_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-84857000-1420169993_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

No worries. I saved a L. australis with no roots at all.....it is now in the yard about to form a trunk....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Cheers to you for giving this palm another chance.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

long live the Chinensis!!!!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Kudos to you for saving this palm. I know around here palmettos are usually saved from destruction by temporarily uprooting them and replanting them, say if roads/sidwalks are being worked on. Open lots where buildings were demolished usually still have palmettos free-standing... But despite this, I cringe a bit when I think about the palms in Florida where you can't save every single one of them due to construction, roadwork and so forth... Again, kudos to you my friend :greenthumb:

• 4 weeks later...

Got 3 Sabal palmetto's from same road project. Don't know if they will make it....but worth a try.

post-97-0-24207400-1422585357_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-22883500-1422585416_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-44580200-1422585488_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-26908400-1422585536_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-51227700-1422585595_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-22983600-1422585649_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-45983100-1422585701_thumb.jpg

The overpass is going at the base of the Panama City side of the Hathaway Bridge (PC Beach connection). It will flyover on the South side of Gulf Coast State College and over 23rd street intersection.

There are several more palmetto's piled up and I'm debating whether or not to try and get them. I can use them on the other side (public side) of the community fence to help block traffic.

Here is the pile.....some may be too big to load by myself.post-97-0-14768600-1422624070_thumb.jpg

For sure grab them.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

David,

It looks like that particular Livistona has no thorns, am I correct? That is the type I want for my landscape since they wont draw blood on my kids.

There a a fewpost-97-0-74080700-1422628778_thumb.jpg

That's nothing compared to something like saribus. I want one like that. I actually like young Livistonas better, before they start to droop.

Did you just dig them up before they went in there and cleared the area out? Or did they already have those poor sabals yanked from the soil sitting on the ground like your picture in post #10?

They are sitting in a pile courtesy of the state. Probably wouldn't bother with them if they were not already pre-dug. The ones that have a bit of trunk might make it....not sure about the smaller ones. May go over tomorrow and dig through the pile...this time will bring clippers, gloves etc.. Will take some more pics.

Such tough palms they are. In my zone they are die back perennials so will never from a trunk for me but still look nice and tropical as a "bush" palm

post-97-0-49245900-1422737138_thumb.jpg

Took 2 Advil

post-97-0-61003800-1422737242_thumb.jpg

I smell like a goat

post-97-0-05846800-1422737327_thumb.jpg

Hope nobody in the HOA has a problem with them.

Lol......ancient chinese secret.

If you look to the extreme right of photo.....you will see your answer.post-97-0-76693400-1422754466_thumb.jpg

How on earth did you get those things in the back of your truck like that??

Strong like Bull but smell like goat :floor:

Great save Mr. Simms :greenthumb:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Keep us posted on how the fair Mr. Simms

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

How on earth did you get those things in the back of your truck like that??

Strong like Bull but smell like goat :floor:

Great save Mr. Simms :greenthumb:

And Dumber than Dirt.........my back is killing me! .....will keep ya'll posted....got a feeling the one in front of the power pole won't make it ....huge hole in the base that was unoticed till after planting. DAGNABIT!

I like what you did with the trio around the telephone poles.

Conventional wisdom holds that only Sabals with a good bit of trunk survive transplant (I trust Palmtalkers' experience much more, of course). That bodes well for the one on the right.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

You did a great job saving these palms David. Hope they do well. Looks like there is lot of space left for more palms. I am amazed by your type of soil, is it pure sand?

• 1 month later...

David- Any updates on your rescue palms? How are those palmettos you planted next to that fence?

Sabal pullers normally say if it doesn't have at least 6 ft of trunk it will not hold enough water to survive the transplant well. I have done it before with a few though..Good luck!

Everything still sitting....will know more when we get more heat.