Sign in to follow this  
trioderob

hard freeze warning for Southern Cal..........

Jim in Los Altos

51 Degrees at almost 7 PM and that's warmer than it was two hours ago. The winds are gusting though of course and, if they die down much tonight, then we'll see some plunge in temperatures. I hand watered a bunch of stuff this afternoon since the humidity levels are so low.

Stevetoad

im showing that ill see 30f. been down to 26f at my place before and that was 2 years ago. my palms are bigger and stronger now. BRING IT ON MOTHER NATURE!!!!!!

how did your palms do at 26F??
I didn't loose much but had quite a bit of damage. I learned that roystonea princeps was hardier than borinquena and Regia. Lost both of those but princeps only had minimal damage.

Jim in Los Altos

Here we are at 8:30 PM and it's still 50F. It's going to have to drop like a rock if it's going to get down to what the forecast calls for (35F).

enigma99

Here we are at 8:30 PM and it's still 50F. It's going to have to drop like a rock if it's going to get down to what the forecast calls for (35F).

Could happen if the wind stops :) Dew points in some areas around there are in the low 20s and 5 degrees per hour to the dew point can happen. I think the wind will keep going tonight and the risk would be tomorrow if anything. We got lucky up here with the energy going down south

Stevetoad

50 at 9pm I think tomorrow night will be the bad one

Hammer

According to wunderground my forecast is 40f tonight, 37f Weds and 39f on Thurs.

I will bring some seedlings in pots inside for the next couple of nights. But it isn't looking too nasty here in Laguna Hills.

Matty I would think you wouldn't be losing any sleep at your place. Stevetoad...good luck bro. Keep us posted.

Pando

Ok folks -- it's 48F here, and we have THUNDER with HAIL coming down!

Holy crap, I'm not kidding.

trioderob

I got hail at midnight and the radar profile looks insane just north of me in Oceanside.

very very cold cloud tops

trioderob

big time hail that is not melting !

with one of the most impressive nexrad signatures I have ever seen in San Diego

15532157494_78aa2edfb4_c.jpg

nkbish

35 at 6:45 with snow flakes falling. I'm at about 1600' elevation. The snow is melting when it hits the ground. I don't think there will be enough for a snowball fight for the kids.

Stevetoad

My friends dads house in temecula.

post-5835-0-96893400-1420038829_thumb.jp

nkbish

image.jpg

That is the most snow I have ever seen there in my life

nkbish

post-4818-0-79220300-1420039703_thumb.jp

A few flakes still are falling. Some has stuck to vehicles and mulch. It is not sticking to the plants.

nachocarl

Cloudy, windy, and rainy @ 36F this morning....tonight will be brutal.

Ben in Norcal

You are colder than me this morning, Carl...

Stevetoad

at my shop in encinitas its 39f and raining right now. when i left my house in santee at 6am it was 45f. weird stuff. normally that would be flipped.

Pete in Paradise Hills

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

WOW. Didn't know they got snow...

nachocarl

Looking at the Wundermap this AM looks like there is a cold "pocket" over Vista and San Marcos.

trioderob

that photo from Temecula is insane- you could lose a lifetime of palm growing in one night.

I got 6/10 inch rain / melted hail

Edited by trioderob

Jim in Los Altos

Unbelievable snowfall, wow! It was crystal clear up here and I had a morning low of 37F since the winds died down.

MattyB

big time hail that is not melting !

with one of the most impressive nexrad signatures I have ever seen in San Diego

What's a NEXRAD?

Pete in Paradise Hills

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

to me it's surprising because my low was around 45 degrees overnight. Didn't know there was that much of a temperature difference

nkbish

My friends dads house in temecula. image.jpg

what's the altitude?
I'm in temecula now and there is 1-2" of snow everywhere. I think it is around 1500'. It is still 37 and feels like your in the mountains.post-4818-0-90695300-1420049047_thumb.jp

Stevetoad

One of my customers pulled up. He lives in temecula and drove to fallbrook then to my shop in Encinitas. Still snow on his truck.

post-5835-0-82217200-1420052229_thumb.jp

post-5835-0-99049600-1420052259_thumb.jp

nachocarl

38F and a winter mix (rain & snow flakes) is falling here in Vista @ 11 AM. Tonight is going to be ugly.

DoomsDave

11:11 a.m., and the air is as clear as a fatwah, with a deadly, icy edge to the wind.

My tarp is ready, though.

Josh-O

I hope you have a big tarp Dave. :bummed:

Josh-O

at my shop in encinitas its 39f and raining right now. when i left my house in santee at 6am it was 45f. weird stuff. normally that would be flipped.

this cold front has stayed pretty tight to the coast from all the radar images. looks like thats all going to change in a few hours

Josh-O

38F and a winter mix (rain & snow flakes) is falling here in Vista @ 11 AM. Tonight is going to be ugly.

Carl, what are your cross streets so I can get an idea of how far you are from me in Carlsbad?

Josh-O

One of my customers pulled up. He lives in temecula and drove to fallbrook then to my shop in Encinitas. Still snow on his truck.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

wow!! Totally insane..!!

Josh-O

Here is a pic I took at 8:30 am this morning in front of a palm nursery in Escondido (those palms looked doomed)

post-7434-0-99946900-1420054157_thumb.jp

MattyB

these pics are incredible

nachocarl

Josh, I am off of Vale Terrace on Colina and Paseo Del Arquero just up the hill and across from Brengle Terrace Park. We just bumped up to over 40F @11;30, not much day left to "warm" up. Canopy is a must tonight.

Josh-O

Josh, I am off of Vale Terrace on Colina and Paseo Del Arquero just up the hill and across from Brengle Terrace Park. We just bumped up to over 40F @11;30, not much day left to "warm" up. Canopy is a must tonight.

I agree. I'm also hoping for some clouds but I don't think that's very likely.

Josh-O

these pics are incredible

Thanks Matty!!

Joe palma

Here is a pic I took at 8:30 am this morning in front of a palm nursery in Escondido (those palms looked doomed)

attachicon.gif7.jpeg

Holy crap Josh! John's place looks like it got hammered! Not good for him cause this is not done. Yikes!

Josh-O

attachicon.gif7.jpeg

Holy crap Josh! John's place looks like it got hammered! Not good for him cause this is not done. Yikes!

I feel real bad for John. I saw him and a bunch of guys moving palms around when I took the pictures this morning. David Minks just lives up the road at en even higher elevation. I'm sure his garden got hammered :(