IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

hard freeze warning for Southern Cal..........

trioderob

still 36 degrees at 737am

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

36f for a low accoring to my sensor. Says 39 right now at 8am. Lots of frost on the colder side of my yard. "Red bananas", bananas and colocasia all scorched by frost. Ugh. Now comes the waiting to see what else is damaged.

i've been completely out of it the last couple of months but saw the weather report talking about how cold it was expected to be and hopped onto palmtalk. checked a couple of weather stations near me and looks like there wasn't anything lower than 36.5°F with most being a bit higher in the 37-38 range. outside was clear and sunny at 8am but was pretty chilly with a bit of wind chill. cars are completely clear of any frost but don't know what it looked like an hour earlier, will check the garden later since i had just gotten some more bromeliads from hawaii yesterday and had potted them up on arrival.

36f for a low accoring to my sensor. Says 39 right now at 8am. Lots of frost on the colder side of my yard. "Red bananas", bananas and colocasia all scorched by frost. Ugh. Now comes the waiting to see what else is damaged.

I am luckier. got down to 35 but I'm in a frost free area....

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Frost free 36.5F this morning here. Bananas and heliconia in exposed areas are green and happy. The warmup starts now and 70F is just around the corner as is some warm rain later next week. :)

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Good idea Carl. I spent considerable time calibrating and cross-checking sensors when I moved so I could get a firm grasp of the micro-climates.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

You have no idea how good that sounds!

Happy New Year, Jim; to you and yours!

JC

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Coming out of lurker status for a second - In the winter of 2007 I still had green bananas. I usually have a 1-3 mph wind that saves me at times like this but not last night. recorded 33.4 on all 3 sensors throughout the garden which is the lowest for me ever. Still have green bananas and have never had a frost so I hope there is no damage. My Prestoniana blew over a couple days ago but will hopefully root back in. I hope my Lemor that has been in the ground for 5 years I mean 4 months will be ok.

• Upvote 1

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

What area are you in jastin?

Hit 29f here in Sanfreeze. Bananas got burn but less than I expected. Dypsis lutty and a.maxima are the only palm that show damage so far

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

i still need to look into some weather sensors. i've looked at a few but any recommendations for something where i can sync it up to wunderground ... also if it can monitor on my own computer or something that can have 3 or 4 sensors with one brain would be nice.

Bottomed out at 32 here. I'll take it.

that was close? What was your dew point Ben?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Hit 29f here in Sanfreeze. Bananas got burn but less than I expected. Dypsis lutty and a.maxima are the only palm that show damage so far

Steve, Keep us posted on how much freeze damage you have. My Vista property hit 28F at the bottom of the driveway and it looks like I may have some damage with frost burn on a bunch of 5-15 gal potted palms.

Sunset zone 24

29.8° at 3:30 am

Gonzer, what city do you live in?

Sunset zone 24

What area are you in jastin?

Oceanside, Emerald and Olive area. 5.5 miles inland.

29.8° at 3:30 am

Gonzer, what city do you live in?

Oceanside

we bottomed out at 38F in Carlsbad

My vista property bottomed out at 28F with lost of frost in all the exposed areas

Sunset zone 24

Bottomed out at 32 here. I'll take it.

that was close? What was your dew point Ben?

Didn't really keep track, to be honest. I was just dialed in on watching that temperature!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

A mutual friend shared some pics of your place. Did your ficus dammaropsis get hit too?

After having snow yesterday whiche is all melted off for the most part we hit 28 last night. Bananas took the worst damage but they should look fine in a few months. All my palms are looking ok at this point with no serious damage. My parents house which isn't far from here got down to 27 and they still have 3 inches of snow on the ground. Lots of damage over there. Looks like a tornado went through there with all the downed trees.

Steve, Keep us posted on how much freeze damage you have. My Vista property hit 28F at the bottom of the driveway and it looks like I may have some damage with frost burn on a bunch of 5-15 gal potted palms.

I will. I've learned that the damage can take over a week to show its ugly head.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

You have no idea how good that sounds!

Happy New Year, Jim; to you and yours!

JC

John, Same to you!

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

A mutual friend shared some pics of your place. Did your ficus dammaropsis get hit too?
Yes it did. Poor thing got beat up from the constructionim doing at my place then this. It should be fine though. It's been burned before.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Yes it did. Poor thing got beat up from the constructionim doing at my place then this. It should be fine though. It's been burned before.
what are you constructing?

Sorry about the damage. Here's hoping nothing appears over the next few weeks.

post-5835-0-49450300-1420143420_thumb.jp

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Coming out of lurker status for a second - In the winter of 2007 I still had green bananas. I usually have a 1-3 mph wind that saves me at times like this but not last night. recorded 33.4 on all 3 sensors throughout the garden which is the lowest for me ever. Still have green bananas and have never had a frost so I hope there is no damage. My Prestoniana blew over a couple days ago but will hopefully root back in. I hope my Lemor that has been in the ground for 5 years I mean 4 months will be ok.

Jastin, I think your Lemur will be okay as long as it isn't allowed to dry out. Mine, in the ground since April, has been growing very strongly. Even in December it has pushed a spear several inches. Despite all the doom and gloom talk I've heard on this palm's viability, I'm excited at how well mine's doing. I can't wait for Spring!

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Pitched my flat garage roof. New roof. And added a huge patio cover out back

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I gotta get down there again and check the place out. It's been a while.

Jastin, I think your Lemur will be okay as long as it isn't allowed to dry out. Mine, in the ground since April, has been growing very strongly. Even in December it has pushed a spear several inches. Despite all the doom and gloom talk I've heard on this palm's viability, I'm excited at how well mine's doing. I can't wait for Spring!

Thats good to hear Jim, I put mine in late but its doing well considering. Spear is still moving. Should have planted it when you did. I was surprised to see how hard it rooted in such a short time. Went in as a 1 gal.

Way to invite yourself over

Now that Jastin is back from his fortress of solitude. We should do another pra road trip

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

You should build a roof over your yard

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Thats good to hear Jim, I put mine in late but its doing well considering. Spear is still moving. Should have planted it when you did. I was surprised to see how hard it rooted in such a short time. Went in as a 1 gal.
I put mine in as a 4 incher and it's on it's sixth new leaf since April. Almost a leaf per month!

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Just lounging in the backyard with my iPad. The sun feels sooooo good. Northwesterlies are making nice sounds though the palm fronds. All is good. :)

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Just lounging in the backyard with my iPad. The sun feels sooooo good. Northwesterlies are making nice sounds though the palm fronds. All is good. :)

If my yard looked like yours I'd be doing the same thing. Enjoy!

You should build a roof over your yard

Practically have with the size of this monster

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Im down for a PRA, gotta wipe the dust off of the motorhome. Maybe we can go down to Steve's place for some banana smoothies!