IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

hard freeze warning for Southern Cal..........

trioderob

My friends dads house in temecula.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

crazy picture Steve!! What elevation are they? I know Temecula valley is a cold sink

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

You are colder than me this morning, Carl...

Ben, I think you Nor cal guys dodged a bullet??

Sunset zone 24

Not sure if we are 100% in the clear yet, Josh, but surprisingly you guys look colder than us. There is no snow even on Mt Diablo, the highest peak in the Bay Area.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Not sure if we are 100% in the clear yet, Josh, but surprisingly you guys look colder than us. There is no snow even on Mt Diablo, the highest peak in the Bay Area.

wow!! I agree its going to be very cold for us. There is snow on the coastal mountains of in Camp pendalton marine base

Sunset zone 24

wow!! I agree its going to be very cold for us. There is snow on the coastal mountains of in Camp pendalton marine base

Here it is. It's not something you see very often at 2:30pm in the afternoon.

It's viewing the coastal mountains from the south, across Bonsall.

post-9935-0-22448900-1420064642_thumb.jp

YIKE! :bemused::sick:

Praying for you all in San Diego, at least North County.

We're cold up here, but NOTHING like that. No hail, snow, etc.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's a panorama across Fallbrook and Bonsall to the west toward Santa Rosa Plateau. Again, not just some powder, but a pretty deep snow up there, right now, 2:30pm in the afternoon. You can see Interstate 15 at the lower right corner.

post-9935-0-75886800-1420065361_thumb.jp

Edited by Pando

Yeah, the westerlies have kicked in up here and dew points are rising fast so it looks like temperatures are moderating up here. Forecast highs for today have been beaten by practically all cities up here and 60F or so was not uncommon. Maybe it won't be so bad tonight for you guys down south tonight if that pesky low pressure keeps moving east as quickly as it is now. Think WARM!

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Dudes-

what happened in Temecula was a freak weather situation.

the jet stream went over us - in Temecula the elevation combined with a boundry of moist and extremely dry air.

this dry air created a very rare "convective cooling" environment which pulled all the heat out of the atmosphere

very trippy from a weather forecasting perspective

Edited by trioderob

Temp just went from 50 to 51 and forecast low tonight for my zip code just went from 34 to 35. The suspense builds. Don't sound the death knell bell just yet....

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

YIKE! :bemused::sick:

Praying for you all in San Diego, at least North County.

We're cold up here, but NOTHING like that. No hail, snow, etc.

Dave, soon you'll be growing and exporting coconuts from la Habra tropics

Sunset zone 24

Don't think of you guys south getting snow except in the mountains although I know it can happen even in July/August in microclimates of the City of San Diego (down there for Comic Con one year and totally shocked by the TV weather report, told was uncharacteristically humid for San Diego that year too). Your photos are sad especially of the palm nursery and of Temecula although I'm assuming a majority of the palms can take it for a short time.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Temp just went from 50 to 51 and forecast low tonight for my zip code just went from 34 to 35. The suspense builds. Don't sound the death knell bell just yet....

I think so too, Pete. We're experiencing westerly onshore winds and rising dew points so no freeze up here. My low is expected to be 37F by dawn so we have no freezing weather at all with this weather system. It stayed very dry up here too. I don't think you guys in SoCal are in for any terrible freeze either, since the area of low pressure has moved so far east.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I've been playing Jobim and drinking Mai Tais all afternoon trying to get it to warm up, but alas?

Carl

Vista, CA

Hope you are right Jim

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

I've been playing Jobim and drinking Mai Tais all afternoon trying to get it to warm up, but alas?

mai tais sound good right now Carl!!

Sunset zone 24

This still air is narshty! I usually get a good downslope breeze from the cooling air rushing down the hill but it's as still as a hogs nail in a pickle jar.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Same here. Spooky...

It is 35 at my house at 7pm and the stars are shining bright in the clear night sky. I think I will protect a few palms with 33 gallon trash cans, but lots will be on there own to see what happens. My garden is about a year old so we will see what it is made of. The forecast has predicted 26.

Northern San Diego County, Inland

Returned last night from a few months in Uganda and wow is it cold here! Snow all around Fallbrook this morning. Was 34 and raining most of the late night and early morning at my place. The high today was 48 here with very little sun. It's currently 38 at 7:00pm. Forecasted low here is 33 and I hope they are right, seems like its going to be colder than that.

Down around 40 right now... predicted low of 25? I hope that's not correct....... or it will be coldest night here since 2007.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

42 now but breezier.

Darted outside to compulsively check my thermometer, and it's 42 and colder than Darth Vader's shorts.

The Naked Lady isn't.

Kids across the street are having a fire pit party.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Shooting some comfy karma . . .

post-208-0-53248400-1420083813_thumb.jpg

44F with 46% humidity. Thank God for the nice humidity!!

Sunset zone 24

Down around 40 right now... predicted low of 25? I hope that's not correct....... or it will be coldest night here since 2007.

I also hope that's incorrect!! :bemused:

Sunset zone 24

Darted outside to compulsively check my thermometer, and it's 42 and colder than Darth Vader's shorts.

The Naked Lady isn't.

Kids across the street are having a fire pit party.

any marshmallows ??

Sunset zone 24

We bottomed out at 37f.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Well I think the majority of us in Northern Calif SFBay area are suffering along with you by the looks of things this a.m. All but one weather station in my area is showing current temps at freezing or below. Not sure for how long. About 20 minutes to go until sunrise. I see the light coming thru the windows. Should be the last day like this for a while as temps are forecast to go up.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

I think my outdoor sensor is off by 2 degrees as it is showing 31F and Wundermap shows 33F as does my car thermometer. There is a light frost on the car but none of the standing water is frozen. 41F on the porch. I'm going to place my indoor station next to the outdoor sensor and give it a check.

Carl

Vista, CA