IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

2014/2015 Winter in south Europe

Rafael

Wow @Cikas I'm impressed seeing that 2 places in the same zone have that rain difference! The 176mm ones are at higher altitude or something? That's three times more than in the place with 54mm, impressing!! :greenthumb:

Do you got wind those days ? Here from the last weekend the wind sucks! :( ... unfortunately this year we have in enough days this crappy winter wind :sick:; some of the banana plants planted on the streets and exposed or near the seafront or at the hills (meaning no buildings between them) got serious damages in their most outside leaves for the hard winds of one day; that day in the last month we got winds close even to 90km/h.

Here now 15.1ºC. I can "officialy" say the temps for today, Tuesday 24 of February because now we are at 23:50 heheh so practically it's Wednesday.

Finally 18.2ºC was the maximum temperature recorded at 4PM and 12,3ºC the minimum recorded somewhere between 7-8AM so for today remains 18.3/12.3 and a quite windy day.

Edited by pRoeZa*

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

54 mm are from station on highest altitude. Station is located at the top of the hill Petka in Dubrovnik ( 192m ).

176 mm are from station Gruz ( Dubrovnik ) at 63m altitude.

We had some southern winds these days. But there where moderate.

Edited by Cikas

Blah... Blah... Blah...

This is the last post I write something about this nonesenseless discussion that I don't even started. Kind regards. :)

For someone who wasn't going to mention the subject again, you sure had a lot to say :asleep:

All I will say as a final end to this is yes, the thread is there for all to read (not that anyone would want to) & anyone reading it can clearly see that you, once again, take any challenges or opinions about the climate of Spain as some sort of personal insult, it isn't, chill out, everyone is entitled to a differing opinion. Please learn from this (as you clearly didn't after last time) & think before you type. Antagonising other forum members is very childish...

Weather today was sunshine & showers with a cold wind again. Maximum 14.2C after a low of 10.8C.

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

... whatever :interesting:

Here we reached today 19.1ºC while the lowest temperature occured this morning with 12ºC. Now 16ºC and a quite windish day... but finally for tomorrow and starting from this weekend, we can say goodbye to winds.

Very good predictions for the starting of March :yay: because it's gonna appear like we are in April! 24/15 predicted for sunday, 26/13 for monday and 23/13 for tuesday. Hope the predictions will be true but it seems that they will be, all the other weather pages mentione at least 21-23º for those days. 23 predicted for tomorrow too, we'll see if that occurs!

Edited by pRoeZa*

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 

Wow looks great, spring is approaching! :greenthumb:

A little bit of offtopic; today I've found some photos on the internet of naturalised Phoenixes in Murcia. Do you guys have naturalised exemplars near you ? Here I never seen naturalised palms as big as those ones, but it seems in Murcia, with a more arid climate, they like to grow more than here; in Almería too, in the middle of the desert i've seen some big ones too.

For their looking they appear to be naturalised, right? They are in the middle of nowhere near wild plants and near the river, and by their looking they seem that they never get any type of care and they weren't pruned never :

bg7m83.jpg

2roiz3t.jpg

29popk7.jpg

I'll quote myself; maybe no one has readed this because was is the middle of the last page. :happy:

Edited by pRoeZa*

22,8ºC reached here today, now we got 21,2ºC. Minimum temperature reached this late morning with 14,9ºC

So finally, for today, thursday 26 February, remains 22.8/14.9

Quite hot in almost all the Valencian coast, Valencia city reached today almost 25ºC and the minimum temperature didn't falled from 15,7ºC

535ra1.jpg

Edited by pRoeZa*

After rainy night, we really have nice weather today. Sunny and hot. :greenthumb:

Temperatures at 14:00h ( 2:00 PM ).

Screen_Shot001.png

Yesterday here was very hot. 28.8/18.2 remain as the high and low temperatures for Monday, 2 March.

+30ºC were reached in some parts of the Valencian Community:

9axqv9.jpg

Edited by pRoeZa*

Those are the last 7 days maximum and minimum temps:

25 feb 19.1 / 12.0

26 feb 22.8 / 14.9

27 feb 20.5 / 10.3

28 feb 17.9 / 6.7

1 mar 25.8 / 9.9

2 mar 28.8 / 18.2

3 mar 20.9 / 14.5

Avg max is 22,2ºC and the avg min is 12,3ºC. Overall average 17,3ºC.

Predictions for upcoming days :)

281dd2q.jpg

Yes but not with the same intensity. I'm on the second most affected region. It's a common to have gusts up to 160-180km/h here.

I remember someone told me once that strong gusts are the landmark of regions with transitional climate, ie between two USDA zones...

Bora winds are katabatic winds. The more mountainous some area are, the bora wind will be stronger.

Created by mixing cold mountain air with warm air from the sea.

In central Dalmatia they are very strong. Because mountains in that area are very high.

Mountain Biokovo ( 1,762 m ) is main reason why Bora winds are that strong in Makarska.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biokovo

Greece also has Bora winds. In Greece they are called μπόρα, βοράς.

Santa Ana winds in California are equivalent of Bora winds. Edited by Cikas

Been windy here too for the last few days with lots of thundery showers, though last week started warm & sunny. Temperatures so far in March have ranged from a low of 10.5C to a high of 20.4C...

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

• 9 months later...

Where is the winter this year???

Here, we are having lows arround 9-12 ° and highs between 17-20°. 

The forecast says the next week will be the same and i think it is the same in other european places.

On 25/12/2015 13:27:17, Monòver said:

Where is the winter this year???

Here, we are having lows arround 9-12 ° and highs between 17-20°. 

The forecast says the next week will be the same and i think it is the same in other european places.

+1, you're totally right! I've been monitoring the climate in Europe from November, and damn it's been irregulary hot!

Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece haven't got very abnormal fluctuations, in some places are quite normal and in some others are even a bit colder!

But the point is the north of Europe... OMG it's unbelievable. In The Netherlands for example, in this week the normal averages would be 5/0 6/-1 6/0 etc in Rotterdam for example, and 5/-2 5/-1 5/0 4/0 etc in Maasricht, which is at the interior of The Netherlands. Well, the entire month has been abnormally hot. 11-12-13-14ºC maximums and 7-8-9ºC minimums in Rotterdam! The maximum average in December is 7ºC, now even the minimums are bigger... But it seems that from 1 January 2016 this will change, and northern Europe only will have slightly more hot than normal.

Here is a quite normal winter... maximums are ranging from 17 to 20ºC (the hottest day in December it arrived to 22ºC) and minimums range 8-11ºC too

21ov9ye.gif

If predictions are true, we'll have from Wednesday maximums from 19 to 22 and minimums from 10 to 14! 

Off Topic: Have you seen the temperatures this year on the American West Coast? At this moment there are 3ºC in L.A. and the maximum is only 14ºC!

2q03l3s.png

Edited by pRoeZa*

20 degrees at this moment... and it's 3.50 AM here, lol!

Take a look at the predictions... this is crazy. In this "winter" we didn't have any temperature below 9,8ºC(49.64F) at this moment... lol!

24wc5g7.jpg

climate also is going weirder on Europe too...

2im1agp.gif

Edited by pRoeZa*

7 hours ago, Monòver said:

It is a crazy winter! And forecast says the next week will be the same.

Yes buddy, at this moment we have 23ºC... in all the night it didn't get below 20ºC... the first Tropical Night of 2016 occurs 3 days after the year started. LOL!

30a84dv.png

In Europe there are normal temps in the south... in the center a bit of cold, and in the north also is warmer than normal

34zx47l.gif

• 4 months later...

Hi guys.I am digging this up to make a few points mainly in terms of Greece's climate and how it compares with the rest of Europe since I've seen here a few posts about climate comparisons.First let me start off with Athens.As you guys have seen Athens gets snow almost every two or three years.Mostly this is snow flurries or sleet for downtown Athens and the south suburbs while settled snow happens almost each year in the extreme north suburbs.Last time snow settled on the ground in downtown Athens and the south suburbs it was in the freaky February of 2008 when even south Crete had settled snow.

Metropolitan Athens is a big city with one of the most complex orography/geomorphology in the world. Surrounded by 4 huge mountains the Athens Basin has a myriad of microclimates, ranging from 550 altitude in Dionysos to sea level altitudes in coastal areas, so you are sure to get very varied weather. During DJF the extreme north suburbs (Dionysos,Drosia,Ag.Stefanos) have a very pronounced winter compared to the extreme south suburbs (Voula,Vouliagmeni,Varkiza). During the summer days, areas such as Nea Filadelfeia located at the very centre of the Athens Basin can be 10C or even 12C hotter than the south coastal areas.While the W coastal areas of Athens such as Elefsina can have foehn winds that skyrocket the temperatures compared to the rest of the coast. Mind you that Athens holds the European Temperature record of 48C according to the World Meteorological Organisation.Summers are generally brutal in Athens and especially in areas far away from the coasts and also in the Thriasio Plain.The mean annual temperatures vary from barely 16C in Dionysos to almost 20C in the extreme south suburbs.Also note that the Athens Riviera (From Faliro all the way to Sounio) has a semi-arid climate (BSh) compared to the rest of Athens which has a CSa climate (typical Med climate). 

So next time you hear of a weather event in ''Athens'' just make sure you ask yourself the following question: ''What part of Athens?''

Below is a good summary of the Athenian climate 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athens#Climate

Now in terms of snow elsewhere in Greece.I reckon at least on a few occasions even the southernmost parts of Greece have seen snow.This is due to the Balkan and Black Sea influences.However in areas such as south Crete and the SE of the Dodecanese settled snow on the ground is a rare sight and will only last for a few hours.Generally I dont think that snow incidents in the extreme South of Greece can have a serious impact on cultivation.Some areas in West Greece are also hard to get snow.I think Patra has seen settled snow on the ground only once or twice during the past 100 years.

If we were to define geographical Europe like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_points_of_Europe

Meaning we exclude Cyprus,Kastelorizo and the nearby islets from Greece,Ceuta/Melilla and the Canaries from Spain then South Crete and probably some areas of the Dodecanese have the highest mean annual temperatures in Europe by far. Anyhow this goes to show that Greece has a very complex climate.

Good morning from the Athens Riviera :)

Edited by Manos33

Name please a place in Greece, that in past January had a day high of 23C and a low of 20 C like in Gandia, Spain...

1 hour ago, Phoenikakias said:

Name please a place in Greece, that in past January had a day high of 23C and a low of 20 C like in Gandia, Spain...

Gandia does not have an official AEMET station.I can give you 50C as a January high with any trashy meteo station.In meteorology we only accept stations with either a WMO ID or at least fan aspirated ones.Maybe areas of Spain had 20's this January but this is only collaborated with data from  official meteorological stations.

But since we are talking about January highs the all time maximum January temperature in Europe was recorded in Vrysses,Crete with 30.4C on New Year's Day 2010 from the official NOA station.

Edited by Manos33

Instead of subjecting to doubt everyone else's data input, you'd better present the requested evidence of tropical plants i in southern Crete. Where are the Mango or Papaya plantations? Where are the Hyophorbe and Latania growing outdoors?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Instead of subjecting to doubt everyone else's data input, you'd better present the requested evidence of tropical plants i in southern Crete. Where are the Mango or Papaya plantations? Where are the Hyophorbe and Latania growing outdoors?

I am not an expert on tropical plants.The names above are Greek to me (oh the irony).I am good in meteorology though and the ''evidence'' for my claim that S.Crete is the warmest area annually in geographical Europe is the mean annual temperatures as supported by official meteorological stations.I didnt make any claim about plants.That's all you.

Edited by Manos33

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/5/2016 14:56:19, Manos33 said:

Gandia does not have an official AEMET station.I can give you 50C as a January high with any trashy meteo station.In meteorology we only accept stations with either a WMO ID or at least fan aspirated ones.Maybe areas of Spain had 20's this January but this is only collaborated with data from  official meteorological stations.

But since we are talking about January highs the all time maximum January temperature in Europe was recorded in Vrysses,Crete with 30.4C on New Year's Day 2010 from the official NOA station.

Not true, all the data I was showing it's from this official AEMET stations. Here is the prove: http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/observacion/ultimosdatos?k=val&w=0

This is my referent station, in the thread 2015/2016 I've also put the link, as many times on other of my posts. http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/observacion/ultimosdatos?k=val&l=8058Y&w=0&datos=img&x=h24&f=temperatura so please don't talk false things. 

Also "50C as January high" please show me that. Any trashy meteo station? An official station which costed thousands of € it's trashy? :lol: you're funny dude

@Phoenikakias totally agree with you buddy!

Edited by pRoeZa*
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2016, 6:13:24, pRoeZa* said:

Not true, all the data I was showing it's from this official AEMET stations. Here is the prove: http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/observacion/ultimosdatos?k=val&w=0

This is my referent station, in the thread 2015/2016 I've also put the link, as many times on other of my posts. http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/observacion/ultimosdatos?k=val&l=8058Y&w=0&datos=img&x=h24&f=temperatura so please don't talk false things. 

Also "50C as January high" please show me that. Any trashy meteo station? An official station which costed thousands of € it's trashy? :lol: you're funny dude

@Phoenikakias totally agree with you buddy!

What is the proof?I dont understand your English my friend.So proof regarding what?The AEMET station you are quoting is Miramar.This is a station that does not have long term means/stats on the AEMET site. Unless I am missing something I can't see any data on Gandia.

Edited by Manos33

• 3 months later...
On 5/10/2016 18:30:37, Rafael said:

I am not sure if it is good news for me. 

My place has a strong drought . Last year was too dry and this year, the same.

The last rainy day here was on March with 25 liters. From January to september only 45 liters!!!

The forecast says next week will be rainy here. I hope this time will be true.

But if we have mild and frost free winter, will be a good new for us.

• 3 weeks later...

:bemused:

Monòver, I hope it rains. Here is being also very dry but at least it felt 190-200mm

Edited by pRoeZa*

• 5 weeks later...

This winter is probably gonna be catastrophic in eastern Greece, I greatly fear that we will sink from 10a to 9b and, regarding damages, maybe even to 9a (usda climate zones that is and not bonds!).

• 1 year later...
On 27/1/2015, 17:07:50, Alicante said:

They can grow quite well in there but they can't survive well there. Those winters aren't for citrus; your averages are very good but you get freezes every year.

The problem is that Central Europe often get very cold waves so you can grow all of them but in your zone the freezes are more common so it will blow the oranges and tangerines. Lemons can grow well if they get low freezes.

One more thing with the citrus species is that if they get -1ºC for example, it has to be for maximum 3-4 hours and the next day they have to get at least 15ºC and they have to get the sun. When a cold wave hits Dubrovnik it's not the same as when hits south Greece.

I am seeing in the Hrvatska official climate chart for Dubrovnik that between 1961 and 1990 you got -7ºC and -6ºC. In March you got one time -4.2ºC and that make the difference with this kind of climate with the mediterranean ones. For example in South Greece or here you'll never meet even in the worst cold wave ever, you'll not meet frezes in March.

Also I see that every year you also get at least a couple freezes and every 2-3 years you get an stronger freeze, the last being -4ºC in December 2014: http://www.tutiempo.net/clima/Dubrovnik_Cilipi/144740.htm

You can grow wild citrus which in Barcelona for example are planted on the streets (they are taller and their fruit is not good; they're quite more tolerant to freezes) but you can't have an extended plantation of oranges/tangerines in Dubrovnik. The most mature trees would survive to -2 / -3ºC but with a very strong freeze, if they don't get hot the next day all the fruits will stop growing. With -4ºC like this one in December 2014 all the fruits fall from the tree and almost all orange trees die. If they get another freeze the next day, even if it's light, it's over for the oranges.

I know it because i'm from Valencia and this is the land of oranges. I know some plantations in a place which is about 25-30km from sea, it's at ~400m altitude and in 2009 or 2010 I know that in that place snowed and they get about 9-10/-2ºC that day and in the next day they got about 10/-1. That year all the oranges stop growing and a lot of plantations died. Well they were oranges and the oranges are the most untolerant citrus to cold.

BTW you got a very desirable climate and I think that all your neighbour central european countries are envy on you hehehe, I know that a lot of central Europeans go to Croatia to have they summer, you get the best climate in that zone.

Citrus trees never die from the cold in coastal south dalmatia,never has that happened.Oranges are hardy to -6,but the trunk will sprout new shoots in the spring even if it went below that temperature.I live in Poreč north coastal Croatia and our usual lowest low every winter is -3,but our record low is -9.5(1981.).And citrus still grows here,even tho oranges dont ripen every year.And also there are plantations close to Dubrovnik(Neretva).

On 11/2/2018 16:36:05, CroToni said:

Citrus trees never die from the cold in coastal south dalmatia,never has that happened.Oranges are hardy to -6,but the trunk will sprout new shoots in the spring even if it went below that temperature.I live in Poreč north coastal Croatia and our usual lowest low every winter is -3,but our record low is -9.5(1981.).And citrus still grows here,even tho oranges dont ripen every year.And also there are plantations close to Dubrovnik(Neretva).

Yea I know, I wrote that more than 3 years ago. :D I didn't know that much about Citrus as I know today. 

Btw, what happened finally with the citrus trees in southernmost Croatia for the very harsh/extreme cold wave the zone experienced in January 2017 ?

https://www.tutiempo.net/clima/01-2017/ws-144740.html I remember Dubrovnik breaking the all time cold record for January during the last year. Cilipi had even 2 frost days (entire day under -0ºC) and during a week in a row, lows were under -4ºC, two days even with -7ºC lows. The city also got under -6ºC.

https://www.tutiempo.net/clima/01-2017/ws-144720.html Dubrovnik-Gorica (in the city, in front of the sea) had a -6.6ºC low and 7 days in a row with subfreezing lows. What happened with many of these limit palms growing in the city, and to the citrus species? I understand the tree can stand -5/-6 for few hours with damage but freezes various days on a row? Did it stop most of the citrus production in 2017? Some areas had zones with dead orange trees and palms?

I would really appreciate your reply, I tried to seek for anything related to this in Google during the last year but I wasn't able to find nothing.

Edited by Alicante

On 16. 02. 2018., Alicante said:

Yea I know, I wrote that more than 3 years ago. :D I didn't know that much about Citrus as I know today. 

Btw, what happened finally with the citrus trees in southernmost Croatia for the very harsh/extreme cold wave the zone experienced in January 2017 ?

https://www.tutiempo.net/clima/01-2017/ws-144740.html I remember Dubrovnik breaking the all time cold record for January during the last year. Cilipi had even 2 frost days (entire day under -0ºC) and during a week in a row, lows were under -4ºC, two days even with -7ºC lows. The city also got under -6ºC.

https://www.tutiempo.net/clima/01-2017/ws-144720.html Dubrovnik-Gorica (in the city, in front of the sea) had a -6.6ºC low and 7 days in a row with subfreezing lows. What happened with many of these limit palms growing in the city, and to the citrus species? I understand the tree can stand -5/-6 for few hours with damage but freezes various days on a row? Did it stop most of the citrus production in 2017? Some areas had zones with dead orange trees and palms?

I would really appreciate your reply, I tried to seek for anything related to this in Google during the last year but I wasn't able to find nothing.

Almost all citrus survived. They even had fruits this fall and winter. Temperatures were not the same everywere. At my place (Trsteno, Dubrovnik) our low was - 5.4C. Some places were even warmer (some places near the coast were closer to 0C, while some places on hills were at -7C in Dubrovnik area). That cold wave was indeed the worst in last 40-50 years. Even our native plants were damaged by cold. Alot of dead birds and other animals ect. As for palms, majority survived. RPW is real danger right now for palms here. My citrus plantation in Neretva survived. In my garden I lost my King palms. But edible bananas, alocasias, strelitzias, colocasias survived. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 18/2/2018 2:20:08, Cikas said:

Almost all citrus survived. They even had fruits this fall and winter. Temperatures were not the same everywere. At my place (Trsteno, Dubrovnik) our low was - 5.4C. Some places were even warmer (some places near the coast were closer to 0C, while some places on hills were at -7C in Dubrovnik area). That cold wave was indeed the worst in last 40-50 years. Even our native plants were damaged by cold. Alot of dead birds and other animals ect. As for palms, majority survived. RPW is real danger right now for palms here. My citrus plantation in Neretva survived. In my garden I lost my King palms. But edible bananas, alocasias, strelitzias, colocasias survived. 

What about the other palms such as the Bismarckia and the Adonidia, I guess they died too? 

Sorry to hear that, I know, 2017 was abnormally cold in much of southern Europe and a total freak show of a month.

Edited by Alicante

10 hours ago, Alicante said:

What about the other palms such as the Bismarckia and the Adonidia, I guess they died too? 

Sorry to hear that, I know, 2017 was abnormally cold in much of southern Europe and a total freak show of a month.

Bismarckia died. I did not had Adonidia in my garden. But most plants in my garden survived (some with damage).