IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CA Freeze?

enigma99

I don't think tonight is going to be much of an improvement. I am starting to see forecasts being revised downwards.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Currently a WNW wind, which actually hurts dew points than raise them. We need an onshore breeze with more moisture

My forcast shows it's going to be colder tonight as well. I suspect due to less wind.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

The air is so dry right now. Unless something changes like wind, clouds or moist air from the ocean, its not going anywhere. Been a while since we have had a rain and there isn't much of anything to come from the ground. Dew point currently 35F.

I'm sure glad to see things starting to warm up in the day or two. I never want to see frost again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen to that!

Colocasia and red bananas (ensete) are beginning to show the frost damage even more so than yesterday.

I'm sure glad to see things starting to warm up in the day or two. I never want to see frost again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen to that!

Colocasia and red bananas (ensete) are beginning to show the frost damage even more so than yesterday.

Sorry to hear about your Ensete. They are fast growers though:)

Still got some time until the Sun goes down but it is looking a lot better than last night.

Frost damage is showing its ugly face now. Pritchardias are showing a little damage along with a small baronii and ambositrea. I suspect more as the week goes on

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Still got some time until the Sun goes down but it is looking a lot better than last night.

Looks pretty marginal here. Dew point is only 32 and winds are only 2 mph...maybe we will do a degree or two better? Perhaps wishful thinking that we will avoid a freeze?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

@ 5PM it is a 36F dew point with no winds, so will be another radiational freeze night. I'll take 2 degrees off for 34 plus another 2-3 due to cold coming down slope. 31F is about the worst it could go I think. I'll take it.

Derrick, It's crazy to think anyone would take 31F?? But, I'm with you. my Vista growing grounds got down to 27F at ground level at the lowest part of my property with frost.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Looks pretty marginal here. Dew point is only 32 and winds are only 2 mph...maybe we will do a degree or two better? Perhaps wishful thinking that we will avoid a freeze?

How did you do last night? And some stations are not 100% accurate on humidity so keep that in mind as well. I think a decent freeze is coming for you but atmospheric conditions and your local geography can either make you hit 32 or go below it. (or above it if you were on a hill)

Edited by enigma99

How did you do last night? And some stations are not 100% accurate on humidity so keep that in mind as well. I think a decent freeze is coming for you but atmospheric conditions and your local geography can either make you hit 32 or go below it. (or above it if you were on a hill)

30 degrees this morning before we started going back up. Surrounding areas w/o my elevation were mid-20s. I hope it gets no uglier tonight.

Ben Rogers

I just don't get the diversity in the forecasts...WUnderground projecting 36 for me, while NWS projecting 30 degrees for the local airport (lower elevation). Let's hope the former holds...though it did not last night (32 forecasted, 30 actually experienced.) And 36 would be significantly above the dew point (31).

Ben Rogers

I just don't get the diversity in the forecasts...WUnderground projecting 36 for me, while NWS projecting 30 degrees for the local airport (lower elevation). Let's hope the former holds...though it did not last night (32 forecasted, 30 actually experienced.) And 36 would be significantly above the dew point (31).

I think you'll be 30.5F tonight. Valley locations there will be well into the 20s again

Edited by enigma99

I think you'll be 30.5F tonight. Valley locations there will be well into the 20s again

All thinks considered, I'd take that. What I don't understand, is how WUnderground is coming up with the 36 forecast.

Ben Rogers

Derrick, It's crazy to think anyone would take 31F?? But, I'm with you. my Vista growing grounds got down to 27F at ground level at the lowest part of my property with frost.

Yeah oh well. I have a few varieties of bananas and one got about 40% leaf burn. Think it was the cold drain off the tile roof. I'm ready for this to be over

All thinks considered, I'd take that. What I don't understand, is how WUnderground is coming up with the 36 forecast.

Hope you don't get below 33. But as plam growers we have to think worst case :)

Ben, have you ever noticed wunderground forecasts to be so far off??

Sunset zone 24

Until last night, I thought they were closest to what I actually experienced. I am not so sure now. We'll see what tonight produces.

Ben Rogers

Until last night, I thought they were closest to what I actually experienced. I am not so sure now. We'll see what tonight produces.

Yeah they are usually on. My guess is it is harder to predict radiational freezes as air flows downhill

Valley locations there will be well into the 20s again

That looks like a forecast I can believe.

36.8F at 7PM here after 57F high. Same high temp as yesterday. The local AG station is much colder. They were 2 degrees warmer than me this morning.

AG station report:

Date Temperature Dew Point 01/02 - 06:30 PM 33.8° 30.6° 01/02 - 06:15 PM 34.7° 31.3°

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

I'm showing 49 with 75% humidity on all 3 sensors. Wind just dropped to zero again for the third night which never happens. I always have 1-3 mph at night, Probably due to my place being sloped in every direction along with the ocean influence.

Wonderground is hit or miss for me which is why I have a weather station. Right now the closest one to me is 2 miles away at the same elevation and shows 48. Too hard to predict with all the hills around me. The only thing showing any damage is my newly planted Euterpe Oleracea.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Valley locations there will be well into the 20s again

That looks like a forecast I can believe.

36.8F at 7PM here after 57F high. Same high temp as yesterday. The local AG station is much colder. They were 2 degrees warmer than me this morning.

AG station report:

Date

Temperature

Dew Point

01/02 - 06:30 PM

33.8°

30.6°

01/02 - 06:15 PM

34.7°

31.3°

37 at 7? Going to be a long night there. Wish your plants the best

I'm showing 49 on all 3 sensors. Wind just dropped to zero again for the third night which never happens. I always have 1-3 mph at night, Probably due to my place being sloped in every direction.

Wonderground is hit or miss for me which is why I have a weather station. Right now the closest one to me is 2 miles away at the same elevation and shows 48. Too hard to predict with all the hills around me. The only thing showing any damage is my newly planted Euterpe Oleracea.

Your dewpoint is in the 40s if I recall correctly. I would gladly swap properties with you :)

I'm showing 49 with 75% humidity on all 3 sensors. Wind just dropped to zero again for the third night which never happens. I always have 1-3 mph at night, Probably due to my place being sloped in every direction along with the ocean influence.

Jastin, where in O-side do you live?? I'm trying to figure out how far you are from me?

Currently 50.2F

Sunset zone 24

Jastin, where in O-side do you live?? I'm trying to figure out how far you are from me?

Currently 50.2F

Emerald and Olive area. Major cross street is Oceanside blvd and College blvd. you?

Jastin, I've tried Euterpe oleracea several times with no luck. I wish you the best. It's one of my favorite palms.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Jastin, I've tried Euterpe oleracea several times with no luck. I wish you the best. It's one of my favorite palms.

Thanks Matt, this is my first time so I still have a few more tries before I quit :)

I have Euterpe oleracea "para dwarf" in a 1g pot for about a year. It has pushed a few fronds but doesn't like the climate at all. I hope it gets some better roots established as I can see it's really trying...

Edited by Pando

Thanks Matt, this is my first time so I still have a few more tries before I quit :)
At least put a cardboard box over it. Give it a shot to get established and put on some size before you throw it to the wolves.

About 50 here, just past midnight, with the full moon.

Praying for all of you . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

32 degrees here at 7 a.m. So better than yesterday, but very marginal. This "warm up" is overdue.

Ben Rogers

this is bizarre. 36 at my place right now, 4 miles inland, and so is National City, right on the water, yet downtown San Diego is 47 degrees...

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Another ugly morning in those East Bay valleys...thank God for a bit of elevation!

10891908_10152499373907234_4828441360765

Ben Rogers

Another ugly morning in those East Bay valleys...thank God for a bit of elevation!

10891908_10152499373907234_4828441360765

nastiness

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

41 for our low this morning.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Stayed out of the freezing temps. 35.9. Looks like it's over for now.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25