IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A few 9a North Florida Rarities (for me)

Kailua_Krish

Mine are under canopy and small but haven't had a problem so far! The Ceratozamias do very well under dense oak canopy. Anyways I only get to see all my plants roughly once a year now because I moved to Hawaii. The plants are all still at my family's place in Florida.

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Krishna, it looks as though you tied a rope around your bamboo (bambusa chungii?).  Was that to prevent drooping/weeping?  Does it work?

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, not sure which picture has it. The bamboo doesn't really need a rope around it, once its in ground for 2 seasons the new canes are all erect.

-Krishna

• 2 months later...

Dropped home for a quick visit from Hawaii. Im still here for another day so if any other plants you want to see let me know!

Parajubaea sunkha (really starting to put on some size)

A689C93C-2EEF-45D6-99F2-C2B88264B5A0.jpg

Jubaea x Syagrus

200CD77F-0AC4-40DA-9DBD-A7E2764AA3A2.jpg

Tim Hopper Jubutyagrus

12B3FF93-FAC7-4D3B-8DA9-D4D391738753.jpg

• Upvote 2

-Krishna

Dypsis decipiens

7F65783A-6E96-46E3-B082-686907AD5A4D.jpg

BxP with Bizmarkia and BxS in background

9E505EF7-24B0-4A04-A881-EA6534C6CBEE.jpg

Arenga micrantha and Kerriodoxa

7B295289-8118-40BF-86CE-39709148EB42.jpg

• Upvote 1

-Krishna

Wow, the Tim Hopper Jubutiagrus takes the prize.

I am surprised that the Butia x Parajubaea isn't bigger.  I don't have one, but I keep hearing that they grow like wildfire as soon as you drop them into the ground.

Now that you're surrounded by giant Hawaiian Tall coconuts, you must be "so done" with Ocala.  

• Upvote 1

I might be the odd one out but Im over coconuts, they're worse than queens with being planted everywhere in the tropics and half the time looking terrible. I actually have a yard in Hawaii but I miss the challenges of growing on the edge of hardiness. I might say I miss Ocala some...

Anyways My BxP had a hard time getting started. It lost its spear every year for the first 3 years. Then it did really well once it grew a bit. Its picked up speed a lot.

-Krishna

On 2/11/2016, 4:32:41, krishnaraoji88 said:

I might be the odd one out but Im over coconuts, they're worse than queens with being planted everywhere in the tropics and half the time looking terrible. I actually have a yard in Hawaii but I miss the challenges of growing on the edge of hardiness. I might say I miss Ocala some...

Anyways My BxP had a hard time getting started. It lost its spear every year for the first 3 years. Then it did really well once it grew a bit. Its picked up speed a lot.

Great looking hybrids!

Sometimes I miss being able to grow almost anything. Like when I lived in San Diego, but I enjoy "pushing the envelope" here at 2500 ft. altitude in the Sonoran desert. Like you, I enjoy the challenge.

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 90°, Lo 44°

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

That JxS is looking great....looks like it holds its leaves in a single plane like Jubaea? Is the base getting fat?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Actually just looked again....not totally in a plane....could you take some more pics of that one with something for scale....thanks

Not sure if you're still around, but if you're taking requests, I'd like to see the Brahea clara, Allagoptera leucocalyx, and maybe some Ceratozamias, since I'm looking at planting some of these soon.

If not, I'll have to wait until next year. I love what you've done with the place!

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Already back in Hawaii, though I can't be too sad about that :P

The Jubaea x Syagrus leaves don't grow completely in one plane, its almost like its trying to be plumose towards the bases. 

Redbeard, I would say go for the A. leucocalyx and ceratozamias, these pretty much always look good. The claras grow much too slow in Florida to be of any real ornamental value.

-Krishna

2 hours ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

The Jubaea x Syagrus leaves don't grow completely in one plane, its almost like its trying to be plumose towards the bases. 

Redbeard, I would say go for the A. leucocalyx and ceratozamias, these pretty much always look good. The claras grow much too slow in Florida to be of any real ornamental value.

My Brahea clara is the 'icy blue' variant, and the guy who grew it said it was very fast, as I recall, so I have some hope it will perform for me. My main worry with the Allagoptera is cold damage. I'm going to plant it anyway as an experiment.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Mine were "Icy Blue" too. Don't expect much...

-Krishna

6 hours ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

Mine were "Icy Blue" too. Don't expect much...

Darn. Well, thanks for the info.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

It's interesting how slow JxS seems in your location compared to California.  Maybe the "J" part of the equation protesting a bit?

That Jubutiagrus is off the hook though.  I guess Hopper did actually make a hybrid that took at some stage!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

On 2/20/2016, 1:01:48, krishnaraoji88 said:

Krishna,

My B. claras, while not rocket ships, have been steady growers for me.  A little faster than an average sabal.  B. armata on the other hand.... is one of my slowest palms.

• Upvote 1

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Hopper Jubutiagarus .....fast

Brahea clara ...... steady

Happy with both

2016-02-22 08.42.58.jpg

2016-02-22 08.41.45.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tim Hopper Jubutyagrus is a truly spectacular palm.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith....do you think it is truly a Jubutiagarus and not just a mule? .... I know we have had long threads concerning the JXB mother of this plant....do have a pic of yours? A lot bigger?

Hmm, I wonder why mine aren't growing a fast. Mine were definitely sprouted as seeds of icy blue.

For the JxS the slowest part of its growth was as a small seedling. It detested our raining + freezing during the winter and I got spear pull every year for 3 years. Its picked up speed since then. 

As far as the Tim Hopper hybrid it grows well and looks slightly different than my mules. Whether it is a true jubutyagrus or not I couldn't tell you but I bought it as one

-Krishna