IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Middle TN/South Central KY Palm enthusiasts

CumberlandPlants

Anybody growing palms in the Middle Tn orbSouth Central KY? I know you all are out there. Make yourselves known!

I live in Smyrna. All of my Trachycarpus died last year, just have a Sabal minor and a Needle Palm growing now at my girlfriend's house. I rent, so haven't planted a darn thing here.

Same here, but also had Sago Palms pups survive unprotected outside the winter of 2013-14. Also Musa Basjoo pulled through without any problems. The Trachycarpus should do well here as long as they have a microclimate. My favorite microclimate is the south facing side of a house. I know tommy had a Sabal (Cabbage) Palmetto pull through without any burned fronds last year, and he has it planted on the south facing side. I am currently experimenting with a Cabbage, Tamulipas, and Saw Palmetto out in the open. Tommy had Saw out in the open last year, and it survived!

I had 2 small Sagos that turned to rotten mush with no protection here, LOL. Trachycarpus was frozen solid. Tommy has had that Serenoa in the ground since 1998, I think. Amazing that it persists there. I know it defoliates in the cold years, but it's a survivor!

I'm in Cincinnati. I've tried needle palms and sabal minor in the past. We moved into a new house last winter and this upcoming spring I'm going to try both again. I've had more success with Sabal minor than the needle palm up here.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

I had 2 small Sagos that turned to rotten mush with no protection here, LOL. Trachycarpus was frozen solid. Tommy has had that Serenoa in the ground since 1998, I think. Amazing that it persists there. I know it defoliates in the cold years, but it's a survivor!

Interesting that the Sago Palm rotted for you. I know we were colder than you up here. I planted 4 Sago pups in the ground fall of 2013 with no roots. Dug one up in Feb. of 2014 and it had no signs of rot with new white roots coming. 2 of the 4 pups survived. Might have had more if I would have planted some of them a littlw better. These pups are in an extremely well drained spot with afternoon shade. One actually still has green foliage after two nights of 15 degrees in November. Just planted two cycads this fall of this year different sources to see how they would do. One of them was put in full sun with again very well drained soid. No amendment added at all on any of the Sagos I have. They are suppose to love clay! I am curious as to where you got your Sago Palms from? Sometimes, the sources that they, and hardy palms come from can cause issues with hardiness like if they are hormone treated or over fertilized(Gotta give Tommy credit.

He taught me that!). Lord help anyone that has tried a blue pot needle any further north than USDA zone 7. Another Question for you. What conditions were your Sago palms planted in?

You guys are a whole nother breed up there....do you try any other cycads? also...do you do alot of inside potted palms like Chamaedoria's? I've found various fishtails to do really well inside.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

David, I gave up on all palms except for Chamaedoreas for indoor/outdoor use. They grow slow enough for me to remain transportable, tolerate being indoors for 6 months of the year, and also have nice visual appeal. I've killed at least 3 dozen species of palms trying grow them indoors, at least seasonally.

Interesting that the Sago Palm rotted for you. I know we were colder than you up here. I planted 4 Sago pups in the ground fall of 2013 with no roots. Dug one up in Feb. of 2014 and it had no signs of rot with new white roots coming. 2 of the 4 pups survived. Might have had more if I would have planted some of them a littlw better. These pups are in an extremely well drained spot with afternoon shade. One actually still has green foliage after two nights of 15 degrees in November. Just planted two cycads this fall of this year different sources to see how they would do. One of them was put in full sun with again very well drained soid. No amendment added at all on any of the Sagos I have. They are suppose to love clay! I am curious as to where you got your Sago Palms from? Sometimes, the sources that they, and hardy palms come from can cause issues with hardiness like if they are hormone treated or over fertilized(Gotta give Tommy credit.

He taught me that!). Lord help anyone that has tried a blue pot needle any further north than USDA zone 7. Another Question for you. What conditions were your Sago palms planted in?

While the official low in Nashville I think was 1F last winter, I think Smyrna saw below 0F, but I don't have any proof of that other than a bunch of dead stuff. I've only had luck with Sagos outside in mild winters. I'm surprised your lived, actually. They were planted in the native clay soil, decent drainage, and a thin layer of mulch on top.

You guys are a whole nother breed up there....do you try any other cycads? also...do you do alot of inside potted palms like Chamaedoria's? I've found various fishtails to do really well inside.

I've got a Cycas panzhihuaensis in the ground this winter. I don't bother with any indoor potted stuff anymore. I used to, but indoor space is at a premium right now, LOL. Just don't have the room.

I'm in Cincinnati. I've tried needle palms and sabal minor in the past. We moved into a new house last winter and this upcoming spring I'm going to try both again. I've had more success with Sabal minor than the needle palm up here.

Awesome that you are experimenting with palms. I think there is potential in Cincinnati for hardy palms. Sabal Louisiana, Sabal Birmingham, and Saw Palmetto might be worth trying if you protect them the first few years, and have them in a micro climate. Have you been able to try any of those varieties up there? Saw a video on youtube of a young man that planted a tiny Sabal Brazoria in Southern Ohio, and it survived the winter. Will try to find the video and post it. Planted a tiny Sabal Minor at my Grandmothers house in Northeast Ohio. It is in a protected spot, and will get plenty of snow cover which should insulate it. It was planted this past summer.

How big were the needles you tried? Also, where did you purchase them from? My needle survived -3F winter of 2013-14 with no damage. It' is small but well established. Helps a ton to protect them the first winter if you go below 15F. I do not suggest buying any 3gal blue pot Needle or Windmill Palms. They just require so much extra effort, but are easy to find at the big box stores. However, they are not worth the money if you live in a colder climate. The growers of the blue pot palms try to push too much growth out of them during the growing season. This takes away from the palms cold hardiness, and allowing them to stress easier when cold weather sets in. You might have a shot with the 7gal. Size blue pot needle. Still a gamble though. Much better off buying palms from somebody that knows what they are doing. Needles should be ok where you are as long they are grown correctly,

Frank- yes to all the Planting conditions.

I wonder if your Cycas might have been over fertilized either accidentally or intentionally. That is a big issue that really affects palm hardiness. My two newly planted cycas were planted in similar conditions to the two pups that survived for me. The two newly planted cycads were purchased. So, I if they die it will be due to the grower schenanigans.

Awesome that you are experimenting with palms. I think there is potential in Cincinnati for hardy palms. Sabal Louisiana, Sabal Birmingham, and Saw Palmetto might be worth trying if you protect them the first few years, and have them in a micro climate. Have you been able to try any of those varieties up there? Saw a video on youtube of a young man that planted a tiny Sabal Brazoria in Southern Ohio, and it survived the winter. Will try to find the video and post it. Planted a tiny Sabal Minor at my Grandmothers house in Northeast Ohio. It is in a protected spot, and will get plenty of snow cover which should insulate it. It was planted this past summer.

How big were the needles you tried? Also, where did you purchase them from? My needle survived -3F winter of 2013-14 with no damage. It' is small but well established. Helps a ton to protect them the first winter if you go below 15F. I do not suggest buying any 3gal blue pot Needle or Windmill Palms. They just require so much extra effort, but are easy to find at the big box stores. However, they are not worth the money if you live in a colder climate. The growers of the blue pot palms try to push too much growth out of them during the growing season. This takes away from the palms cold hardiness, and allowing them to stress easier when cold weather sets in. You might have a shot with the 7gal. Size blue pot needle. Still a gamble though. Much better off buying palms from somebody that knows what they are doing. Needles should be ok where you are as long they are grown correctly,

I had a regular old needle palm, a sabal minor and a trachycarpus fortunei. Can't remember where I got all 3 but I think they were from different sources. The needle and the sabal perished in 2009 (I think, but might have been 2008). That winter, December and January were extremely mild but February was brutal. We never fell below zero but we only had 3 days all month where the temperature rose above freezing and most days struggled to make it to 25 degrees.

The Trachycarpus I over-wintered it outside 3 years in a row before it got too big for me to protect with a reasonable amount of labor and money. I buried the pot in the ground and built a plastic greenhouse around it. It saw temps to around -2 or -3*F but protected from the wet and the wind.

I think it is the persistent coldness and dampness that really prevents palms from being long term survivors in this area. That will kill them off faster than absolute low temperatures. Most days here in the winter are overcast, with highs between 37-42*F and lows between 28-32*F but when an arctic front moves through with clear skies and zero wind we can drop 30 degrees in hours.

I had a regular old needle palm, a sabal minor and a trachycarpus fortunei. Can't remember where I got all 3 but I think they were from different sources. The needle and the sabal perished in 2009 (I think, but might have been 2008). That winter, December and January were extremely mild but February was brutal. We never fell below zero but we only had 3 days all month where the temperature rose above freezing and most days struggled to make it to 25 degrees.

The Trachycarpus I over-wintered it outside 3 years in a row before it got too big for me to protect with a reasonable amount of labor and money. I buried the pot in the ground and built a plastic greenhouse around it. It saw temps to around -2 or -3*F but protected from the wet and the wind.

I think it is the persistent coldness and dampness that really prevents palms from being long term survivors in this area. That will kill them off faster than absolute low temperatures. Most days here in the winter are overcast, with highs between 37-42*F and lows between 28-32*F but when an arctic front moves through with clear skies and zero wind we can drop 30 degrees in hours.

Yes! You are correct about Durantion of Cold and how cold. Hard to believe you had whole month of below freezing temps. Worst we have had is 9 days in a row with below freezing temperatures in 2009 or 2010. My needle Sabal minor pulled through that without any problems. Although, I believe we had no single digits during that time frame. Just teens at the coldest from what I recall.

Yes! You are correct about Durantion of Cold and how cold. Hard to believe you had whole month of below freezing temps. Worst we have had is 9 days in a row with below freezing temperatures in 2009 or 2010. My needle Sabal minor pulled through that without any problems. Although, I believe we had no single digits during that time frame. Just teens at the coldest from what I recall.

Found this individual here on the forum growing Cold Hardy Palms in Canada. He has a few tricks to get his palms to survive:

905palms

Yesterday, 08:36 PM

Welcome Nick! I'm in Canada Z6B with many seedlings of sabal minor and Pindo, all protected with mulch and leaves only, no heat. You'll be fine. Just keep them dry, and the cold will bounce off of them. My seedling managed last winters 'coldmegeddon', on a South facing wall. So if you plan on planting them close to the pool, make sure you do so in the south side if it's above ground. Both apandssa and kahili are correct, do plant them in the Spring with some Quick start fertilizer monthly. Once they mature, then go with the slow release fert.