IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in Augusta, GA

JLeVert

Augusta, GA is right on the Fall Line - that is, the elevation drops quickly from the Piedmond area of Georgia which goes up over 1,000' to the Lower Coastal Plain. Downtown Augusta is 135' above sea level, but only a mile or so away, the elevation goes up to 440'. Those upper elevations are actually hugh sand dunes from when the ocean was up to Augusta. I don't remember that time since it was 40,000,000 years ago, but the climate and soils still reflect the unique situation of the area. Lots of palms can grow here, but the number of species is limited because we are far enough inland to allow for severe freezes every 25 years or so. S. minor is native. Serenoa and Rhapidophyllum are native about 1 hour south of town. S. palmetto has been growing here at least 100 years. Butias are all over the place. Phoenix won't make it long term. A few pictures follow from the school where I teach:

Sabal mexicana:

DSC_0121.jpg

Brahea armata

December2005025-1.jpg

Rhapidophyllum, Chamaerops and Butia odorata

DSCN0872.jpg

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Amazing. My cousin lives in Bainbridge and I am trying to get him to grow some domingensis--you think they would grow there? have you tried other types of Butia? How about a Jubaea--maybe that would grow for you guys...

Silver S. reopens are native to Merritt Island area of East Coast of Fl. ..... Louisiana ? .... never herd of that one.

The Brahea armata in Georgia is a hopeful sign. Gotta be humid up there.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Well, I guess the best way to know is to find some there that are 20 feet high--Florida has green ones that tall(green are native) but I have never heard or seen of any silver ones that tall... You may be right--I am just repeating what I heard, which can make ya look stupid sometimes... I am interested now; this palm is native to Louisiana but you still may be right.

There are silvery Serenoa even on the coast of Georgia mixed in with the green, but the most silver ones are from Hobe Sound in Florida. I have one at the school and it is growing just fine. It made it through 13F last winter with minimal damage. I also have Butia eriospatha, yatay and purpurescens growing at the school. They are all doing well even after last winter.

A few more pictures:

Trachycarpus nanus

Trachycarpusnanus.jpg

Silver Serenoa

DSCN1311.jpg

Local S. minor in Gum Swamp across the Savannah River from Augusta in South Carolina

DSCN1224.jpg

Another Trachy. nanus

Tnanus22009-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Really nice S. reopens (silver)!!!

Joe, always love seeing your pictures! One of these days I hope to make it down there to see it all in person. The T. nanus that I got from you from your seeds many years ago bit the dust this spring after spitting out a few weak leaves. I still have several others left though.

Frank -

I always wondered how those seeds did for you. I may have to plant a few myself. T. nanus would make a nice large groundcover, I think. They don't sucker and the blue-green leaves would light up a lightly shaded area.

Tnanus7.jpg

• Upvote 1

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

I agree, that's a real nice silvery blue SR!! awesome pictures :drool:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Here are a few more from the Augusta area:

Chamaerops humilis 'Argentea'

DSC_0033-1.jpg

Sabal uresana (old picture; this palm has about 5' of clear trunk now)

Suresana-1.jpg

Guihaia argerata

Guihaiaargy.jpg

Serenoa repens from Hobe Inlet in Florida. This is supposed to be the most silver clone of Serenoa.

DSC_1302.jpg

Sabal etonia (left) and Sabal minor (right)

December2005026.jpg

• Upvote 1

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Terrific plants Joe, thanks for posting. How old is that Guihaia? Would love to see an updated picture of your S. uresana.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

As far as I know, this is the biggest saw palmetto in my area--pretty big for anywhere, I would guess...

You can't tell but the two large trunks creep on the ground for about ten feet, before shooting upward.

post-5491-0-39786000-1418390855_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Beautiful Serenoa. Here are a few from Matanzas Inlet just south of Saint Augustine.

DSC_1260.jpg

These were recovering from a brush fire near Saint Augustine:

DSC_1259.jpg

That Guihaia pictured above has survived 13F. It didn't like it, but then, who does. Rocks grow faster!! I'll have to find a more recent picture of the Uresana.

• Upvote 1

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Really liking these pictures...........Guihaia.....huh....guess need to try that one.

Chamaerops humilis 'Argentea' is outstanding!

Great pics. Guihaia argerata, I've heard those are difficult to germinate, difficult to grow and on top of that, difficult to find. Phil said he "hates those things", when I spoke to him not too long ago. I've heard stories of those things up and dying out of the blue for seemingly no reason. They're a pretty palm and props to you for having one!

I had one that up and died....probably because it was in too much shade and stayed too damp in the summer. The one that lived is in a very dry place at the base of an Incense Cedar.

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8