IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in pots

Walter John

I figured at the time they weren't the best to use, but they were free, so hey it got me started in this great hobby.

in reference to the UV rays. I tried to take an approach that would not only minimize the UV rays, but also fungi or bacteria that could start to grow deep down the side of the container as they were a somewhat clear bucket.

So, I went and found some black spray paint ready to use for plastic surfaces. I find this paint blocks any penetrating light and gives the soil even more radiated heat.

My only concern at this point is how well they will drain. I put (5) 1/4" holes in the bottom of the buckets before use and I found myself putting a couple of holes in the sides about 1/4 of the way up yesterday. I think the soil was possibly staying too wet.

The picture below is one that just came out a 15 gal pot on Friday and put into my lawn.

post-294-1153667075_thumb.jpg

nice palm!!! your planting that out in your yard in h town Tx but you cant figure out why foxtails and royals are for sale at your local plant mongers?

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Yep, this one was for free. We got it as a gift when we were leaving California and moved here a few weeks ago.

that glad to see you go were they? :D

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Dear Palms Great,

Iam sorry i can not guide u on matters pertaining to your little palms getting accoustom to sun light.Because our climatic condition is totally different from yours. we take our young ones to direct sun in month of december and january.

during this period the air is mild warm and sun light is hazy and no rains at all.lovely wheather and we call it spring time.

not only young sapalings love this climate even big trees & plants react to this giving out lots new leaves and lovely flowers.

At this december month we do not give any protection against sun light to our young plants.So it gets naturally hardened off.and the plants are left usually where it will be permenently grounded. i think you understand what i say.

when possible i will upload photos of what i saying.

And your post no 41 along with your palm i see your pet,kindly also cover your pets along your palms.hey we guys even love our pets dont you guys know that.What is he..a rotwiller ?

And as for as painting your buckets or plastic containers try marine paints based on copper content.this does not allow algae & fungi grouth_give it a try will you !

And Palmotraffic as you said the uv rays of the sun makes the plastic to naturally disintegrate.but if the pots are not moved or disturbed they will easily last for 3 years no doubt.

but here in india we have aweful climate which is hot through out so we use only terracota and cement pots for our the humid climate.

One man one tree...

love conquers all..

43278.gif

yeah that''s my black labrador retreiver. She is 9 years old and stays inside all the time. However, as soon as we go outside she is right there following trying every chance to get into the swimming pool.