IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in pots

Walter John

I asked this question a couple of months ago. It's been planting season for most of you on this board, why not let us know what you have now in pots. You guys in nurseries have em too, I mean those palms for your own place, come on, what have you left ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal-

As I have stated here a few times before, I am not much for having lots of pots lying around.  I simply dont have the space for it.  So....what comes into my yard is usually planted out!

But, I keep a few things around in pots for my front entryway as well as the back patio.   Plus, I have at least one palm (Lipstick Palm) that can never be planted out up here.  

As such, the things in pots in varying quantities at the current time are---

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana

Wodyetia bifurcata

Caryota himalayana

Ptychosperma macarthurii

Prichardia hillebrandii

Dypsis madagascariensis

Raphia farinifera

Cocos nucifera "Golden Malayan"

Cyrtostachys renda

Veitchia arecina

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Wal,

I'm not a big pot guy either. (That didn't come out right..) Anyway:

Caryota mitis               (don't know where to put it)

Leppidorhachis            (still too small)

Burretiokentia koghiensis      

Burretiokentia viellardii

Pinanga javana

Licuala ramsayi

Beccariophoenix "no windows"

Ravenea rivularis (a beauty that I can't find space for)

Hedeyscepe c.

Adonidia m.

B/R's

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I have in little and also bigger pots some palms, mostly because the can't survive here the winter outside, or i have already of that kind of palm tree in the ground, and the are dubbel :) or the tirth reason the are to small at this moment.

* Achrotophoenix cunninghamia (Can't surive here)

* Butia capitata (Dubbel)

* butia capitata "orodata" (To small)

* Brahea armata (Next spring planting this one)

* Brahea edulis (To small)

* Chamaerops humelis (Dubbel)

* Caryota maxima (To small, and can't survive here)

* Phoenix canariensis (Dubbel)

* Ravenea rivularis (To small, and can't survive here)

* Sabal etonia (To small)

* Sabal Uresana (To small)

* Trachycarpus fortunei (Dubbel)

* Trachycarpus nanus (To small)

* Trachycarpus princeps (To small)

* Trachycarpus takil "Nepal" (Almost dying  :angry: )

* Trachycarpus wagnerianus (To small)

* Washingtonia filifera (Dubbel)

* Washingtonia robusta (Dubbel)

Greetz robbin

Southwest

I could go on for days and days if I listed all the plams I have in pots since my entire collection of 105 species all live in pots as I am a renter. I'm sure you have seen some of my previous posts with pictures of my palms before.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Nothing much.  

Dypsis sp. "Fine Leaf" (from Australian seed source)

Carpentaria--babies

Ptychosperma elegans (solitaire)

Archontophoenix tuckeri (waiting to be planted)

Rhapis

And a couple of cycads.  A dozen Zamia pumila (coontie) seedlings in a bed need to be dug and potted.  Sort of nice to have them pop up without doing any work.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Well, having a nusery and especially an interest in palms, I have many that I enjoy looking at everyday. Most of these are for sale, but many are waiting to go to my yard.

Some of the rare or unusual ones are,

Licuala mapu

L. cabalionii

L. beccariana

L. peekelii

L. naumanii

Dypsis basilonga

D. forficifolia

D. canaliculata

D. lutea

D. florencei

D. malcomberi

D. mcdonaldiana

D. tokoravina

D. andrianatonga

D. pilulifera

D. ambositrae

D. bonsai

D. dransfieldii

Orania trispatha

O. ravaka

O. longisquama

Ravanea dransfieldii

R. krociana

R. hildebrandtii

Voanioala gerardii

Satranala decussilvae

Lemurophoenix halleuxii

Rhapis sp. Super Dwarf

Dransfieldia micrantha

Chamaedorea fragrans

C. tenella

Cyrtostachys elegans

C. microcarpum

These are some of my babies !!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Good Lawd Jeff.  Half of those there most of us probably have not even heard of!  So..."rare or unusual" might be a bit of an understatement :D

What bugs me is that I used to live right around the corner from your nursery and never went by!  But, I wasnt all that much into palms back then  :(  Now that I have gone backwards climate-wise is when I get the palm bug.....figures!

Larry 

i have a multiple c.metallica in a pot in my bedroom thats about 3' tall.outside i am growing a rhapis excelsa,a c.elegans i found at an estate sale,& a c.seifrizi in pots.thats it.not much of a "pot" guy.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I have several hundred palms in pots.  Most are small seedlings, but I have a few pretty big ones in 15 and 25 gallon pots and maybe 50 or 60 in 5 gallon pots.  I don't have much space left to plant things in the ground, and most of the rare stuff I'd rather save until I have the money to purchase a larger property (hopefully in a couple years).

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

OH my,

I have pots for days, I bury them in the ground like my larger palms there in 200 and 300gal pots under ground for the simple reason I sell Them in my landscaping jobs. They are less likely to defoliate and all just look terrific when planted

I have so little time for palms it pots. I keep some rare stuff on my porch so I don't forget about  them. I have several hundred Royals in pots and some in the ground. I just seem to do better with planted palms then potted ones though.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

(redant @ Jul. 20 2006,14:11)

I just seem to do better with planted palms then potted ones though.

Ditto here Doug.

Larry 

I have several hundred Royals in pots and some in the ground.

You are my idol!  Can I bronze a likeness of you and place it on my night stand?

:D

Larry 

Potted plams take patience and knowledge of the palm. Sorry I have to disagree potted plants, palms all work great for me. I can control them better, my problem that I easily over come was drainage. Once I got a handle on that it was all down hill

(spockvr6 @ Jul. 20 2006,15:10)

I have several hundred Royals in pots and some in the ground.

You are my idol!  Can I bronze a likeness of you and place it on my night stand?

:D

:laugh:  Looking to scare the chilldren at night huh! If you don't eat your peas this man is coming to get you!

I think I'm up to about 40 Royals in the ground, way below that other guy  :angry: even though I have more land to play with, My problem is some areas are just to dry to make them happy. Not all my property has irrigation.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Being up north, I don't have much of a choice as they all have to come in for late fall and the winter months.  In pots:

Bismarkia

howea

chamerops humilis

bottle

spindle

rhapis excelsa

variegated rhapis (aya nashiki)

licuala mapu

adonidia

golden adonidia

areca catechu dwarf

roebelenii

CIPD

coccothrinax crinata

coccothrinax brohidiana

washingtonia filifera

wodyetia

caryota mitis

chameadorea elegans

jubea chilensis

tracycarpus wagnerianus

several Sagos

Largest pots are 20 gals.  Most are in 10 or 15 gal. pots.

Tom

Baltimore, Maryland

(tew @ Jul. 20 2006,17:43)

Being up north, I don't have much of a choice as they all have to come in for late fall and the winter months.  In pots:

Bismarkia

howea

chamerops humilis

bottle

spindle

rhapis excelsa

variegated rhapis (aya nashiki)

licuala mapu

adonidia

golden adonidia

areca catechu dwarf

roebelenii

CIPD

coccothrinax crinata

coccothrinax brohidiana

washingtonia filifera

wodyetia

caryota mitis

chameadorea elegans

several Sagos

Largest pots are 20 gals.  Most are in 10 or 15 gal. pots.

Could you please put your location details in your signature. We don't know where up north means ? North Queensland ?, Norway ? Anyway, it's something we always remind the newbies. It helps to assist you and understand your posts.

You have some very very nice palms in pots there by the way. Love to see photos, any chance ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Sorry, I forgot to do that when I registered for the new board.  I am in Baltimore, Maryland.

Tom

Baltimore, Maryland

I have a few in pots but I don't where I  am going to put them  since my canopy is lagging behind my purchases.This is with the JM sale next weekend.Also I can't seem to pull myself away from this damn forum,it's almost as addicting as the palms themselves.I currently have in pots

Dypsis lanceolata

Dypsis sp. white

Dypsis betafaka

Laccospadix australasica

Cyphophoenix elegans

Dypsis florencei

Prestoea montana                            

Shon

San Marcos CA

To Dave in Vero,

How long have you had your D. Fine-leaf in a pot and how large is it?  I have 2 in the ground, 1 in a pot.  About 6-7'.

Larry wrote:

What bugs me is that I used to live right around the corner from your nursery and never went by

Larry, have you seen Jeff's Rainforest Collection?  It is amazing!  And it's open 2ce a year to the public - if you haven't been, you need to go.

Jeff, the larger R. glauca you sold me at the Fairchild sale some years ago is still in a pot.  I want to plant it out... but if I have to move, I would want to bring it with - so it's still in a pot, and looks quite beautiful.

I was thinking I had too many palms still in pots until I saw what some others had listed.  Here are mine:

D. Fine-leaf (2)

D. onilahensis

D. baronnii (2)

R. glauca (3)

R. rivularis

P. sargentii

A. triandra (2)

P. sanderianum

C. radicalis (2)

C. unknown (probably-radicalis)

Dunno-what-the-heck-it-is fan palm

Wish I had a dig. camera so I could post a pic of the Unknown Fan and maybe get an ID.  It's quite small, though.  Anyway, I don't, so I can't.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

as you would know Wal, almost every palm I own is in a pot ready for the big move whilst all of the crap is left in the garden along with a couple of goodies which are too big to transplant. Everything I could possibly remove from the garden and put back in a pot has been done.

Eventually, almost everything will go back in the ground and what remains in a pot will live in a greenhouse, become stock for sale or live inside the house.

Still some time away form the big move but one day closer than yesterday....

J.

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

As you know all of mine are in pots.  Currently:-

Trachycarpus fortunei

Phoenix canariensis

Phoenix dactylifera

Phoenix lourerii

Jubaea chilensis

Jubaea X Butia

Dypsis heteromorpha

Pholidostachys pulchra

Pre-germination

Chaemadorea radicalis (trunking and non-trunking forms)

Chaemadorea microspadix

Chaemadorea costaricana

On there way here soon, hopefully

Lytocaryum weddellianum

Dypsis albofarinosa

Geonoma schottiana

Heterospathe minor

Hydriastele rheophytica

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Tew,

I think it's great that you have so many palms up in Baltimore, way kool! One question, what do your family and friends say when they see all of your palms, your addiction?

Sunny fL. I say to you, plant all those nice palms in the ground and don't look back. Time goes by quickly as you know. And, you can still transplant most of these if you have to someday.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Between the palms, the orchids, the coral reef tank and the tropical birds I raise (lady gouldian finches) they mostly say "how 'bout finding another place to live !!!!"

Tom

Baltimore, Maryland

I'm real proud to say I have a Pseudophoenix vinifera in a pot.  It's just poping up it's first leaf now.  Only one of the bunch that didn't rot.  I suck at germinating.  I rot everything...even with Daconil.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

SunnyFL,

That fine-leaf Dypsis is just a little one, maybe 2 feet tall, from GTC Palms on Merritt Island.  The plant gives me the feeling that it'll be easy to grow, and that maybe I should have sprung for a bigger one.   I have to reserve a spot for this one.  

Of course the word from GTC is that it's an undescribed species.  Evidently not the first time that plant gained horticultural success before it got a name.

Here are a few I have in pots

(5) Archontophoenix alexandrae

(1) Archontophoenix Purpurea

(4) Dypsis decipiens

(1) xButiagrus nabonnandii (Mule Palm)

(1) Phoenix canariensis

(1) Roystonea regia

A pic of a few under shade.

post-294-1153608083_thumb.jpg

well, they all start off in pots around here, some just stay in them longer!!

syagrus schizophylla

post-18-1153612776_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

copernicia prunifera

post-18-1153612868_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

adonidia merrillii

i have some of these in the ground as well

post-18-1153613006_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

rhapis excelsea cv. hinkyshinkysomthing a.k.a. mr. stripey

post-18-1153613139_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

guihaia argyrata

post-18-1153613235_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

(Dave-Vero @ Jul. 22 2006,17:16)

SunnyFL,

That fine-leaf Dypsis is just a little one, maybe 2 feet tall, from GTC Palms on Merritt Island.  The plant gives me the feeling that it'll be easy to grow, and that maybe I should have sprung for a bigger one.   I have to reserve a spot for this one.  

Of course the word from GTC is that it's an undescribed species.  Evidently not the first time that plant gained horticultural success before it got a name.

Hi Dave,

I got my Fine-leafs at GTC as well.  They are good people, and their palms are very healthy.   Neil Yorio told me about it's being unnamed - they had previously thought it might be an ambositrae, but turned out not to be.  

Jeff Searle mentioned this on the old forum and described the difference.

Two of mine have been in the ground for over a month now, and last night, they took a wallop - we had gusts around 40-45mph and a downpour.  Pretty bad, about 4 funnels sighted.  The Fine-leafs took it in stride and looked fine this morning.

These are terrific palms and hope we'll start seeing more of them!  I think your 2' palm will grow quickly, but if you can get a larger one, you might want to.

St. Pete

(Jeff Searle @ Jul. 22 2006,10:05)

Sunny fL. I say to you, plant all those nice palms in the ground and don't look back. Time goes by quickly as you know. And, you can still transplant most of these if you have to someday.

Hi Jeff,

You are so right.  Hoping I can do it soon - there's a good chance I may be rid of the huge infamous (palm-killing) tree that takes up most of the backyard.  Once that is done, I can start working on a nice area for the palms.

Yes, time goes by so quickly, doesn't it.

St. Pete

Yikes!

The nasty stuff missed us yesterday, and seems to have been south of us today, too.

Neil Yorio provided the taxonomic info from Australian botanist Bill Beattie at the 2ndlight.com forum (surfing, with gardening tacked on as an aside)

Thanks Kris! They just got upgraded into those 5 gallon containers 3 weeks ago, since then, they have been growing strong reaching for the sun. They barely had any transplant shock as I have been keeping them under 50% shade cloth.

When do you think I should move the larger A.  alexandrae out from the shade into full sun? Would you recommend starting them out at 2 days a week in full sun then work my way uo to 3,4,5 days, etc?

work your way up to full sun by % not days.

your upgrade buckets wont last too long out in full sun,those tend to get brittle and crack in the sun, seems the uv does a real number on them.

Abraham Lincoln