IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Kansas Coconut:)

jfrye01@live.com

• 1 year later...

Here are some updated pictures from today, this palm is two years and five months old now...ready to go back outside in a month or so!

IMG_3140.JPG

IMG_3141.JPG

• Upvote 6

El_Dorado.gif

• 1 month later...

Loved it so much, I had to buy another one! A nursery in Wichita is selling them for $15, may go back and buy more! April 29, 2017. Large coconut is now 2 years and 6 months old.  

Image may contain: plant

• Upvote 2

El_Dorado.gif

:greenthumb: Pretty impressive for 2+ yr old that has to spend so much time indoors. congrats!  Funny that you can find them available around your park of KS yet I've only come across a handful locally in the 14 months I have been in Arizona. 

Certainly cool. But I see a horrible death in the not too distant future when it gets too big to stay indoors. :(

20 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

:greenthumb: Pretty impressive for 2+ yr old that has to spend so much time indoors. congrats!  Funny that you can find them available around your park of KS yet I've only come across a handful locally in the 14 months I have been in Arizona. 

Thank you! I agree, it is definitely strange!  They weren't available last year, but this year, I've found them in at least two nurseries...must be a plentiful crop down in Florida! :) 

El_Dorado.gif

23 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

Certainly cool. But I see a horrible death in the not too distant future when it gets too big to stay indoors. :(

I think about that often..:( Fortunately, my parents' house has a room with a 20' vaulted ceiling, so I'm hoping they'll allow me to overwinter it indoors long enough to finish school and move south! Fingers crossed! 

El_Dorado.gif

10 minutes ago, jfrye01@live.com said:

I think about that often..:( Fortunately, my parents' house has a room with a 20' vaulted ceiling, so I'm hoping they'll allow me to overwinter it indoors long enough to finish school and move south! Fingers crossed! 

At this point, I think you should be ok long enough to be finished w/school and ready to head to warmer places, ready to plant. Also crossing my fingers  since this would certainly be one heck of a cool story to share w/ people standing below it where ever you end up. 

10 hours ago, jfrye01@live.com said:

That's awesome. That gives me hope for it's brighter future lol

• 2 years later...

I figured it was time for an update! We’re going on five years now and it has never looked better...I’m very happy with my coco!EA1173B3-5C75-4F5C-8AAB-F8820ED4D313.thumb.jpeg.304a02801c3407a9b8bad50da3964592.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 4

El_Dorado.gif

6 hours ago, jfrye01@live.com said:

I figured it was time for an update! We’re going on five years now and it has never looked better...I’m very happy with my coco!EA1173B3-5C75-4F5C-8AAB-F8820ED4D313.thumb.jpeg.304a02801c3407a9b8bad50da3964592.jpeg

This really makes me wanna try and keep a coco alive as well... I'm in the same boat as you where I gotta try and keep my palms small until I move to SW FL someday soon...

• Upvote 1

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” –Frank Lloyd Wright

Well done!!!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

11 hours ago, jfrye01@live.com said:

Where ya been hiding?!

• 2 months later...

Image may contain: plant, tree and outdoor

August 2019...almost 5 years old! 

On 6/12/2019 at 7:59 PM, Rickybobby said:

If I may ask. What’s your soil composition? 

I use a mix of 50/50 play sand from and just regular old Sta-Green potting soil from Lowe's...works like a charm! 

• Like 2

El_Dorado.gif

On 6/12/2019 at 10:17 PM, Hammer said:

Where ya been hiding?!

I've been lurking! :D

El_Dorado.gif

On 6/12/2019 at 7:38 PM, redant said:

Fantastic work keeping that palm happy.

Thanks!! The hardest part is keeping the pests away indoors...spider mites LOVE it. Luckily they die rapidly once the palm is outdoors in April. 

• Like 1

El_Dorado.gif

Its color is just gorgeous: golden.

Here again, well done!! :greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb:

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 1/18/2015 at 5:10 PM, SouthSeaNate said:

Yes most DIY stores & some supermarkets in the UK sell them, very cheap too around $10 for a 5ft tall sprout. These are force grown in hot houses in Holland though & they survive a few months only at best...

As you state, these palms are force grown here in Holland and every once and a while I try to grow one or two, also as hydro plants. I always pick the ones with orange/yellow petioles, just because I like these the best.

P1020831.JPG

• Like 1

Nice job, over there in Kansas! :greenthumb:

Seeing your 5 year-old makes me realise that mine is going to end up in the middle of the kitchen some time soon. :P

20190815_192158.jpg

• Like 1