IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Drought

ZoneTenNut

I got lucky...1.4" here at the house, hope everyone else had the same good fortune!

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Friday night was a 3" blessing here.  As a matter of fact, it's drizzling on Sunday morning too.  Hopefully, we're onto something.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I've been having to water 2x/day now... with temps in the mid 90's and the heat index today going over 100f, it's hard to keep up with it... But, I'm not complaining... I'll take this over 20f :)  ...

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Got a good 25 min downpour last night.

Ray, have things started to look up for you yet?

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

It's getting better but the last two days have been hot and dry.

Here in coastal New Port Richey, it has rained 3 times in June to date, w/only TS Barry on the 1st doing a decent job. The other two were 10 minute downpours (although I'm thankful for that)...thunders, lightning, rainbows, winds, and..................nothing. Typical beach weather and I am sick of watering. It has been a very dry year overall (except downtown Tampa which has almost 8" this month compared to my 2.4") Greg S in NPR  (first post - Ive been a lurker)

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

We've had less than 2" at my place for June so far, which is about 1/2 the average.  Some isolated spots around metro Atlanta have gotten some good storms.  That slightly lessens the impact on the lakes and rivers dropping, but doesn't do anything for my plants and lawn.  It's tough to water when the only times we are allowed to do so are three days a week between midnight and 10 am.  Since I work days, the only time I get to do any watering is on Sunday morning.  Fortunately my wife is home and can take care of watering the lawn and her vegetables.  The yard is still not really that green.  It also gets to be a big pain in the butt for her.  I just wish we'd get some normal rainfall soon.  When rainfall is normal, the lawn doesn't really need watering.  My palms look good, but growth has been very slow this year.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Well, I broke my record for irrigation water over the past month.  I just got the bill today......I used over 65,000 gallons of reclaimed water :angry:

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

It rained so hard here last night that I thought I was gonna float away... I woke up this morning and I tell ya the rain is like magic.. Stuff just grew overnight... We're supposed to get hammered again this afternoon and then it's back to bone dry.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Wicked storms the past two days. This is the first rain to make it to Ruskin since the tropical storm so it was very welcome. I am not sure how much rain has fallen but the grass has grown incredibly over the past two days. Looks like good chances of rain for the next few days anyway.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Wicked storms the past two days. This is the first rain to make it to Ruskin since the tropical storm so it was very welcome. I am not sure how much rain has fallen but the grass has grown incredibly over the past two days. Looks like good chances of rain for the next few days anyway.

Bill,

I think we got the same storms.... What a display.... More lightening than I've ever seen - very intense.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

As of this afternoon, I managed to dodge rain when consecutive days had 60%+ rain chances.  How is this possible?? Saturday will be drag the hose around the yard day. The drought is alive and well.

Sorry to tell you this Ray, but I logged 4.57" yesterday.

Larry 

Great news for you Larry. You received more rain yesterday than I have for the month. June as of today 4.5 (6/o1/07= .89"  6/02/07= 2.11   6/13= .64 ) I get to see and hear the storms,but I need the rain.  Scott

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

Make it three days in a row without a a hint of rain.  I've now used your name in vain Larry.   The drought is alive and well here in Sahara, Florida.

Ugh!  I think the rain has finally decided to stop here...  I'm gonna have to go finish building the irrigation system in the new shadehouse...  Sigh, Ray I'm feelin your pains today...

(Ray, Tampa @ Jun. 30 2007,20:43)

Make it three days in a row without a a hint of rain.  I've now used your name in vain Larry.   The drought is alive and well here in Sahara, Florida.

Ive gotten lucky Ray to somehow have fallen under a few heavy downpours (when they have been spotty) so far this year.  On average, Tarpon Springs annual rainfall (at least what is one record) is only 52" a year.  But, since Ive been logging weather (only since May 2006), Ive been wetter than that.

This year so far looks like Ive gotten about 21", which I believe is about spot on the average from January through June.

Heres hoping for a wet July,August and September......

Larry 

Hey Guys... yeah, I know you desperately need the rain, but I'm hoping for a little sunshine when I'm down there in a few weeks....

How about it's nice & sunny all day long, and then it becomes a monsoon from like 2-5am every morning.. that would be perfect.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

If beggers can be choosers, I would prefer monsoons 24/7 over Lake Okeechobee for the next 10 weeks.  Pray for rain.  Are you going to the west coast Bobby?

Of the 30 days in June, I tallied significant rainfall on a total of three (3) days.  That is by far the worst June since living at my current address (1997).  

Ray

(Ray, Tampa @ Jul. 02 2007,11:35)

Of the 30 days in June, I tallied significant rainfall on a total of three (3) days.  That is by far the worst June since living at my current address (1997).  

Ray

You made me look at my total over here for June......not terribly different as most rain occurred in larger events.

I had 6 days where the rainfall was what I would call "useful", or more than 0.5".   Days where a tenth or two falls does nothing but wet the grass/mulch.

Larry 

Larry, You have received twice the amt. of rain that I have . You have 21" Jan -June I have 9.89" Jan - June.      Scott

If beggers can be choosers, I would prefer monsoons 24/7 over Lake Okeechobee for the next 10 weeks.  Pray for rain.  Are you going to the west coast Bobby?

Bill,

I'm flying into Tampa on Friday, Driving down to  Ft. Laud on Saturday.. staying a couple days down there, then driving back to Tampa area to look at housing on Monday.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Mai Kai

I think I can guess where Bobby might visit near Fort Lauderdale.

The two Satakentias I planted this spring have been yellowing badly, so I began hosing them every single day without rain, then moved a couple of potted bromeliads under them to reduce glare from the patio.  So already they're making fresh leaves.  

Drought conditions continue.  Lake Okeechobee has reached a record low, only some 8.33 feet above sea level.  That beats the previous record from 1955, which was like this year, in that Okeefenokee Swamp burned.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Dave, could a dry summer equate to a cold winter?  I have no basis in fact but wonder if there is any correlation.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/lox/Assets/pns_07_01_07.pdf

Lowest rainfall in recorded history.  Only 3.21 downtown LA.  Just 21 days of rain since March 2006 [record lowest is 16 days of rain in a year].  Nothing over 0.50 in a day  :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(happ @ Jul. 04 2007,09:21)

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/lox/Assets/pns_07_01_07.pdf

Lowest rainfall in recorded history.  Only 3.21 downtown LA.  Just 21 days of rain since March 2006 [record lowest is 16 days of rain in a year].  Nothing over 0.50 in a day  :o

Whats bad about that, is now you have begun your dry season and rain is even more unlikely for quite a few months. Maybe you'll get some of those rare summer monsoon rains to help ease the water crisis.

We've finally been getting some regular afternoon storms. I've been able to turn off the sprinklers as the ground is pretty saturated, so keeping my fingers crossed that it continues, because we have alot of ground to make up. Ft. Lauderdale and Miami have been getting far more rain, much more in line with normal totals, but north of them its been pretty hit and miss until recently. We have some big thunderstorms rolling through the area this afternoon and I just had a heavy downpour and it looks like more on the way.  :)

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Got another 2.28" up here today all within about 90 minutes......this pattern has been nice.

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Jul. 04 2007,21:41)

Got another 2.28" up here today all within about 90 minutes......this pattern has been nice.

I got a total of 3" yesterday. First storm dropped 1/2" and then a couple hours later, the second storm dropped 2 1/2". It was one of those monsoonal white outs. Awesome. We have not had many of them the last couple years, so I too am really enjoying this pattern. I'm starting to feel like I live in Florida again.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

I noticed Lake Okeechobee started edging up again. Good sign.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

My mom got 3" of rain yesterday.  I got as nice, healthy .125".  Par for the course.

I received .29" yesterday here in Citrus Park.  Scott

0.0" here in Ruskin yesterday :(

It is hard to get rain to fall here. Maybe there is something about the bay that inhibits the storms here - and at Ray's :)

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Bill,

As the crow flies, our two locations are very close.  The bay DEFINITELY inhibits rainfall.  Unofrtunately, this phenomena is not documented anywhere.

Ray

Just got a 4" deluge in less than an hour and my yard is officially waterlogged or flooded. The rainy season has finally arrived in earnest, with the ponds and canals full to the brim again. I'm a happy camper.  :)

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

LOTS of rain here in downtown New Port Richey. 1.3" Wed, over 2.5" during the weekend in several downpours, and 1.5" last friday. This is good rain, not all at once and spread out. I fertilized last week and it has all gone to work :-)). Greg in New Port Richey FL (about 1/2 mile W of US19...which is bascially the Gulf)

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

We got more rain last night then I've seen in the past 3 months... but It looks like it's over now.. just hot for the next week :)

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

The rain here is like a sputtering engine.  It starts up and idles momentarily before dying out.

(Ray @ Tampa,Jul. 04 2007,00:24)

Dave, could a dry summer equate to a cold winter?  I have no basis in fact but wonder if there is any correlation.

¿Raymundo, no piensa usted es demasiado temprano preocuparse del invierno? Cada año usted me dice "este invierno va a ser uno malo".   :laugh:

¡También, yo vi que las Aerolineas de Spirit tenían tarifas de Ft Lauderdale a Costa Rica para 29 dólares cada camino! Era sólo para fechas particulares en Julio y Agosto, pero lo que es un gran precio,  ¿verdad?

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica