IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern Summer 2014-2015

Daryl

I cannot complain at the moment, 23mm of rain last night and then 34 degrees today. Very hot and humid. We have a cool change coming through tomorrow which will bring more showers. plants are having a party in Brisbane. I know it can all change very quickly but they are enjoying the moment.

34.3C max after a 5.3C minimum today.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone you are welcome to my heat. It hit 42 in October and has only been under 30 twice since then. I am getting a little bit of rain and what is left alive after 2 years of practically no rain at all has start to revive slightly. I'm not buying or planting anything until I move into my new place in Melbourne but the way things are going I will 90 before I can afford to actually live in the place !!

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

TC Kate, the first TC to form in Australian waters (TC Bakung formed in Indonesia 2 weeks ago and passed through our western region on its way to oblivion in the Indian Ocean), is now intensifying and moving towards the Cocos Keeling Islands. At this stage not expected to be a direct hit but likely pretty close. Expected to reach cat. 3 and keep heading further out into the Indian Ocean. Possibly, the remnants may pay Tyrone a visit in the not too distant future.

Here the weather remains hot and humid but little rain for me, so far 37% of average for the month (which is almost over). Average maximum temp is running at 35.8 for December so far. But humidity is very high so I'm not losing so many plants as during the past few months. They're saying the monsoon will come end of December/early January. At least that should bring good steady rain rather than 50 mm falls in an hour and blazing sun for the rest of the day. The sun's passed its lowest point so it will be getting more intense here again for a while. A good time to get some cloud cover (hopefully).

I suspect all the BOM staff have gone away for the holidays and left the forecasting updates on automatic pilot.
pt_wx_n_141225.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone.

I just checked the bom for Adelaide's expected maximum temperatures next week as I was wondering where the usual 40+ heat was. Seems I'll be busy with the sprinkler this week soaking all the garden beds before 41 expected next Saturday.

The weather gods have been kind to me ! Yesterday afternoon/last night we had 113mm of good soaking rain. Its been the best drop in a long while.

Good to hear Steve. We had a nice 74mm drop last night...that was a cracker of a thunderstorm!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

From Weather Zone News:

Darwin braces for New Year's Eve downpour with huge monsoon trough incoming
By Steven Schubert and James Purtill, Wednesday December 31, 2014 - 18:05 EDT

A massive monsoonal storm that has been anticipated for months is moving towards Darwin and could break over the northern coast of Australia on New Year's Eve.

Weather radar shows the monsoon trough approaching the coast of Australia across the Arafura and Timor seas.

The weather should be over Darwin on New Year's Day, according to Bureau of Meteorology senior forecaster Graham King.

The monsoon signals the end of the hot and humid build-up season for tropical Australia.

Earlier in December near the Darwin Ski Club, a popular outdoor restaurant and bar.

"It's not a strong monsoon, it's on the weaker end of things," Mr King said.

"It will last maybe four days if we're lucky but it will still be a pleasant change."

The monsoon would see more rain, lower temperatures and more cloud cover, bringing much needed relief for sweltering Top Enders, Mr King said.

"Even though it's weak I'm looking forward to it," he added.

Well it's come through and brought some heavy falls with it, unfortunately not at my place. Only getting drizzly rain here while only about 10kms away they've had a deluge. But it's been one of the coldest days for ages, minimum this morning of 23.7, maximum 26.8 this afternoon, with lowest relative humidity 88%. The plants are looking really happy.

A couple of weak lows in the trough but only the one further out in the Timor Sea showing up on the charts. It's expected to develop into a cyclone some time next week and impact the Pilbara coast.

When there is heat there is fire. Adelaide's top temperature today reached 42c. This pic was taken by a friend of mine thankfully the bush fire is not near my garden.

post-10546-0-29095400-1420185915_thumb.j

Wow Pip, dreaded bushfires are not much fun... fortunately we are in the wet season so fire danger is comparatively low. My garden damage is now from flooding...had a fair amount of damage from the creek rising 8 feet the other night during the thunderstorm that dropped 74mm in less than 2 hours...possibly more but the rain gauge overflowed...I had a metre of water over my creekbank and a large tree came down the creek and took out a few of my palms...

post-42-0-34656500-1420204677_thumb.jpg

post-42-0-97850200-1420205006_thumb.jpg

This is a video from a couple of years ago...the creek was 2 feet higher the other night...

If it doesn't rain, it pours! :)

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Just a little bit of that rain would be nice. The temperature in Adelaide actually reached 44 but then once it is over 36 who cares it is just hot and time to find water of some kind to dive into.

The fire is still burning and a few houses have been destroyed. A few of the north eastern suburbs close to the fire have been evacuated. Unfortunately the chance of a thunderstorm has almost passed.

Some more pocs taken by friends who are watching the sky. They are much closer to the fire than I am but still a safe distance from it.

post-10546-0-66493000-1420242105_thumb.j

post-10546-0-49187100-1420242130_thumb.j

Another photo shared on facebook taken from the dash of a fire truck traveling from the southern suburbs to help with the fire.

post-10546-0-76771000-1420260054_thumb.j

Everything around here is wet, wet, wet. Had another 10mm today with more rain forecast for the next few days.. My palms are going BALLISTIC !

Finally some rain has been forcast for Adelaide as monsoonal activity from northern Australia moves through to the south east. A flood warning has been issued for the northern inland districts. The areas of bush fire in South Australia and Victoria should become a little easier to control and hopefully extinguished. There is still more heat before the rain though Adelaide is expecting 38c Tuesday.

Official temp for today was 44.4c

Yuck! I'm back at university this week no one wants to be in class the air conditioning keeps us all comfortable but we can see the ocean. I keep hearing other students mutter about wanting to be down the beach.

There is a 50% chance of a thunderstorm in Adelaide today fingers crossed it actually happens and helps put the bush fire out.

Not excited now it feels like winter with grey skys periods of rain, mist and heavy rain. I haven't seen the sun for two days.

Weird weather you guys have down there. Kinda like melbs?

Yes similar but not normally as changeable as Melbs. It won't take long to warm up again although now that all that rain has been dumped throughout central Australia I don't expect Adelaide to experience any more extreme heat for the rest of summer. I expect the north winds to be more humid and not the usual dry heat like what you experience when you open the oven door.

A nice wet, showery weekend has provided more lovely rain for the garden. Tonight there was a rain cell about 5 kms north of me and it just dumped 104mm in 2 hours...glad it wasn't here or more of my garden would have washed away...pretty bad flash flooding in some areas here currently.

Daryl

I tipped about 20mm out the rain guage today. You're right Daryl, too much rain be a real headache sometimes, especially when the ground is already sodden - like now !

Steve, I have been seeing the reports of the flooding at Pac Pines and Coombabah tonight...another 58mm in the hour since my last post...pretty horrendous flash flooding there. We have only had 40mm here today, so not too bad...not bad enough for the creek to flood. I would hate to think what another 100mm tonight would do!

Daryl

Woohoo...another 40mm here...although some sunshine would be nice now!

Daryl

It's been a hot few days here, with more to come...gotta love summer, except that the grass is growing way too fast! :)

8:30 am and its a humid 31C here...palms will be loving it!

Daryl

Tyrone you are welcome to my heat. It hit 42 in October and has only been under 30 twice since then. I am getting a little bit of rain and what is left alive after 2 years of practically no rain at all has start to revive slightly. I'm not buying or planting anything until I move into my new place in Melbourne but the way things are going I will 90 before I can afford to actually live in the place !!

Great to hear from you Peachy. Where have you been, and why do you want to move to Melbourne when you live in Queensland??

It's been a while since I've reported my experiences here. The Eastern States and interior have taken all the rain and extreme weather while down here it's been quite uneventful from an extreme weather point of view. December didn't feel like Summer at all. Even the locals were complaining. Lots of drizzle and cloudy cool days with strong breezes from all directions. I averaged something like 10C min to 26C max for December. The wheat harvest was a frustrating experience for all the farmers because it was too wet.

January has turned the corner now. I'm averaging 13C min to 29C max this month and the palms are growing again. The max temp I've recorded was a 37.5C which is hot enough. Here I am consistently 4-5C warmer than Albany during the day and about 3C cooler at night. So I've got a subtropical mountain climate I think. Parajubaea seem to love it here. RH is generally up there all the time except for the hottest days when we might get down to 28%, but at night it's always 90-95% RH. We could do with a few mm's of rain again, but at least the grass has slowed down.

My main lake is losing about 15mm of level a day due to the capillary action of the surrounding soil and my use of the water for irrigation. I've decided to sink a bore and keep the lake topped up. (Then I can keep trout) I've extended my irrigation to include virtually all my planted areas. I've been trying to get wind breaks in and have been madly planting giant bamboo screens to form cold air drainage barriers and wind breaks. I've also planted a small olive orchard to do the same. The coldest areas will become a stone fruit and apple orchard with a few cherries, but I won't plant them until winter. I'm also growing our own vegies now. I'm going to put in some avacadoes in the protected part of the orchard (inside of the frost barrier), and I'm even going to try a mango in a frost free spot with lots of winter sun.

The official forecast today is for 26C but if that happens in town it will be 30, 31C here today with a few clouds around. There's a 10kph westerly breeze at the moment so it should be a mild and humid day with the sea breeze. Even better I've got the day off, so I've got to go work in the garden. :D

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Good to see its finally warming up for you Ty. The weather here is more like tropical lowlands currently...although tonight is a bit cooler which is very weird.

We had another massive thunderstorm last night that dumped 68mm on the garden, followed by another one this morning that dropped 48mm...no need to water for a little while here... :)

Daryl

Good to see its finally warming up for you Ty. The weather here is more like tropical lowlands currently...although tonight is a bit cooler which is very weird.

We had another massive thunderstorm last night that dumped 68mm on the garden, followed by another one this morning that dropped 48mm...no need to water for a little while here... :)

Daryl

Ahhh, water from the sky. After having a drizzly cool December you'd think I'd be sick of rain but I'd love a 40mm drop of rain from a thunderstorm or two down here. The 28 day rainfall forecast looks pretty dry.

We had a 38.5C day yesterday. All the locals were recounting how hot it got too. It felt like a typical Perth January day. It was still 32.5C at 6.45pm and dead still. But the night cooled down and the lake had mist rising off it when I took a look at around 10pm as the water was still very warm. I've got to get that bore going to top it up. It's going down mega quick.

It's 7.35am and the temp is already 27.8C. It could be a stinker today if a sea breeze doesn't come in soon.

After all that rain in central Australia comes green here is a photo taken by a friend of mine who lives in Alice Springs

post-10546-0-02536600-1421916660_thumb.j

As of 3.30pm today, we've had 165mm since this deluge started last night. And from what I can see on the radar there is still plenty more coming tonight.

We've had 277mm since last night here...what a wet January! 625mm so far since NYE