IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern Summer 2014-2015

Daryl

Well, summer is here again...boy is it dry...Brisbane has received some good storms (minus the hail), but hardly a drop of rain down here on he Gold Coast...crunchy crunchy it is!

The forecast for the next few days looks promising though!

post-42-0-99646000-1417515828_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Welcome summer!!

It seems we have a contrast here Daryl... I have had nearly 180mm in the last 12 days. It's unusual for brissie ( and me in particular ) to have more rain than the coast.

I know a few of the other brissie boys are secretly cussing me about my recent rain so it's obviously very patchy.

I'll be happy for all of you guys to have the good rain in the upcoming "rain event"

Conditions are A1 at my place currently, humidity cloud cover etc etc..... Just need a big hail net over the property and I would be at ease!

We got 4.5mm out of those storms, and another 11mm from some coastal showers...that's it for the last few weeks!

Even the wild Cadagis next to the motorway have died...

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Nothing to speak of up here on the downs, and have a care for my mate Andy Roy at Oxley nursery who got pounded badly by a fallen tree on his hothouse at last week's deadly storm. The following few days do look promising. Beerwah was okay with some rains, a tad better than the goldie but less than the big smoke of Brisbane. A certain xmas party this weekend might be in jeopardy if the forecasted storms and rain come calling.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The coldest winter I think I'll see is a summer in Albany.

We'll miss summer this year I reckon. :(

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Dry and crispy here in the Whitsundays............Even up the road in Bowen (which is part of the Dry Tropics) has had more rain than us. Even the rainforest is looking very thirsty !!

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Just got back from a week in the Daintree. They're getting some mainly light rain but it doesn't seem to get much beyond the canopy. Ground is pretty dry and lots of creeks are dry or just scattered waterholes. Humidity is up though. Locals are complaining how hot and humid it is. Wasn't til I got back home that I was reminded just what hot and humid really is.

Finally a couple of light overnight showers...i'll take them!

Zig, there's nothing like a little Top End H & H!

Daryl

Today, first full day back, it turned out very sticky. But afternoon out of the blue a big storm cell exploded overhead. There was nothing on the radar when I suspected something was happening, but when the skies opened up an orange/red blob appeared on the radar, dropped 20.2mm and then disappeared westwards into the distance. Has brought my wet season total to 153mm. Not a good total, but better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick. I reckon this year is going to be one where a lot of people will be thinking they've got more blunt stick in the eye than rain - El Nino at work.

Everyday has been so hot up here in the mines - Roy Hill. It is either 40-41c with 15% humidity, get me out of here!!!

Forecast for brissie is promising for the next 4 or 5 days. Rain, showers and storms until about next Wednesday. Starting spitting at my place about 1.5 hours ago and it's slowly getting heavier.

It's good stuff!!

Its raining here now in Gods country(Murarrie, Brisbane). Nothing heavy but its keeping the mulch wet. I would take anything over the next five days.

Agree Bismark, palms are getting a nice drink, let's hope what the weather people say happens and we get 4 good days of rain

Ha! not a drop here...

How about today Daryl?? Not what I was hoping for but about 11mm here in last 24 hours.

Looks like it's all out to sea which sucks!!

Yeah, that 4:00am thunderstorm certainly woke me up! and yesterday we had 41mm...certainly watered the garden and the creek is no longer dry! Hopefully some good falls over the next few days to capitalise on it...

Daryl

Hugging the coast it seems, some showers up here on the hills.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Still only getting dribs and drabs of rain, although some places nearby are getting 30 to 40+ mm. But it's a double edged sword. I have a lot of earth moving to do and if the rains set in that will be the end of it. The pick and shovel work isn't an issue though, except I have to do it very early in the morning. Like this morning, it was 28 on the verandah with 95% humidity before sunrise. So gotta get in the heavy manual work before it really warms up. Who needs to pay for a sauna! And the plants seem to be loving it.

Just recieved another 31mm from storms - thats on top of the 10mm we had yesterday. Its getting better everyday. Just over 80mm since Saturday morning. Crikey, I'll have to get the lawn mower out soon !

Same here...gotta love this recent rain. I was just thinking that I haven't mowed the grass remnants up by the street in more than 6 months...that's all about to change!

We got 35mm in a 30 minute period accompanied by the biggest hail we've experienced in our 9 years at this place. The hail wasn't to big when the storm started.......

post-7381-0-25550200-1418122303_thumb.jp

then bigger

post-7381-0-52225400-1418122317_thumb.jp

then worrying

post-7381-0-82597500-1418122365_thumb.jp

Paul, wow, hope there wasn't too much of it...did it do any damage?

Ben, I was in Sydney all day so missed it all unfortunately....but there were plenty of good puddles in the garden when I got home tonight!

Here's some good photos from today's storm... http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/gold-coast/severe-storm-warning-for-the-gold-coast-as-several-storm-cells-move-towards-the-coastline-this-afternoon/story-fnj94idh-1227149280938

Daryl

Had a quick look Daryl, checked all the full leaf palms eg Clino, condapanna, lemur and V splendida and all seemed to be fine, but ill go over forensiclly tomorrow when I get home from work

All this talk of hail and dry heat does highlight how vast and varied this country is.

Myself, I wish we had any heat to talk of here. Yesterday drizzled and barely cleared 20C although officially it hit 16C. If this is summer I'm in big trouble. The minimums are slowly coming up, but the maximums for December so far are less than November.

Still, this morning is promising. I woke up to 18.6C and rain which is more than what we had for most of yesterday. So if the high goes east we may get some continental heat to warm the place up a bit. Perth 340kms north as the crow flies is expecting 35C!!

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Wow I know this is a couple of days late but Tuesday afternoon's storm I got 41ml in 27mins. I currently have next doors Euc sat on my carport. 100-200ml predicted over the next week, baton down the hatches.

All this talk of hail and dry heat does highlight how vast and varied this country is.

Myself, I wish we had any heat to talk of here. Yesterday drizzled and barely cleared 20C although officially it hit 16C. If this is summer I'm in big trouble. The minimums are slowly coming up, but the maximums for December so far are less than November.

Still, this morning is promising. I woke up to 18.6C and rain which is more than what we had for most of yesterday. So if the high goes east we may get some continental heat to warm the place up a bit. Perth 340kms north as the crow flies is expecting 35C!!

Almost unbelievable isn't it Tyrone, so close but so different?

Yep here we have dry heat then big hail shortly afterwards.... Keeps things interesting!

Right now we are having a great week.... High himidity, good heat and good rainfall... This must be what it's like 24/7 in palm paradise

Almost unbelievable isn't it Tyrone, so close but so different?

Yep here we have dry heat then big hail shortly afterwards.... Keeps things interesting!

Right now we are having a great week.... High himidity, good heat and good rainfall... This must be what it's like 24/7 in palm paradise

I envy your heat and humidity, especially your nightly minimums. I haven't a hope of getting anywhere near your summer minimums now. I think the record high minimum for Albany is 22C!!!.

On the positive there is always quite a bit of humidity in the air down here. The air is never dry and hot, like Perth. It took a bit of getting used to the fact that easterlies down here bring clouds and rain, not dry heat. In fact so do southerlies and westerlies. Also northerlies are generally followed by cold fronts or thunderstorms in summer. I just learned on Wikipedia that the only two rainless months ever recorded down here were two February's back in the 1870's!!!! We only get 45 completely clear days a year too.

I've been recording the day night mins since June and the graphs look like seismographs. Even the 24hr temp graphs look like seismographs, due to the changeable winds. On my property the wind can change direction multiple times within an hr and blow up from nowhere, then just drop away to nothing again.

Temperature wise I'm about 3-5C warmer than Albany during the day and 1-3C cooler at night. I think I have a subtropical highland climate. If I can block the wind by careful planting and windbreaks, I think I'm in prime Ceroxylon territory. I just got in some C quindiense seed, as well as some Archontophoenix purpurea. Under canopy my Archo's seem to be going nuts.

Lets hope for a warm humid summer for all of us in Oz.

It gets better everyday. Received another 37mm overnight. It looks like I'll be clearing the cobwebs and giving the lawn mower a good run on the weekend.

Bureau of Meteorology has the monsoon trough off the NW coast of WA. Hopefully something's going to happen soon.

So far the wet season has been miserable here even though not far away there's been lots of rain. The weeds that got a kick start in November are now wilting and dying. My dam which usually has some sort of a puddle at least in it by now has remained dry right through. The frogs are making the most of the garden sprinklers but remaining eerily quiet. A 'Clayton's Wet Season'. At least there's more humidity,, and temperatures have dropped a bit. December's avereage daily maximum is running at 36.6 currently.

Looks like the "happen soon" is going to happen sooner than expected. Possible 1st cyclone for this Australian season on Saturday, in the north west. It's already formed in Indonesia as TC Bakung and will cross down into Australian waters but continue westwards away from us. Another low developing closer to us isn't expected to intensify into a tropical cyclone. It's a start.

Our wet season still isn't firing up as it should, don't think it is anywhere in the north. Today got up to 37 again. Although, getting home this arvo there was 39.2mm in the gauge. There's isolated storms about, if you're lucky to be in the path of one all the better. It's left it nice and humid, nearly midnight and 28 degrees with 95% humidity and not a breath of wind. The washing is hanging up under the shed awning but it's not going to dry any time soon. You can bet the plants are loving it, and the frogs have gone into vocal overdrive. The dam's finally got its first puddle for the season. You can bet in the morning it'll be full of frog eggs. Unfortunately the water's too shallow and the Burdekin Ducks will move in and clean all the eggs out. The cycle continues.

Edited by tropicbreeze

I'm hoping that this is a weird unusual summer, as summer hasn't hit yet in my opinion where I am. 5C min this morning!!!!!!!!. At least the suns out and it's 22C at 7.15am so the temp has climbed quickly. Thunderstorms are tipped for Friday and Saturday so maybe some tropical heat and humidity might slip down for a brief couple of seconds.

Tyrone, I reckon it's a Southern Ocean thing (which is really cold). During the warmer months if the wind is off the land the temps are good, but with all that cold water we can still get really cool temps if a strong weather system comes in from the south.

Melbourne is only meant to be 18° today - crap!

Climatic Zone: Vile..

Tyrone, I reckon it's a Southern Ocean thing (which is really cold). During the warmer months if the wind is off the land the temps are good, but with all that cold water we can still get really cool temps if a strong weather system comes in from the south.

Melbourne is only meant to be 18° today - crap!

That's definitely the case hence the schizo weather. The land is basically continental tropical and the southern ocean is cold, so wind direction and strength controls everything. I'm in a weird pocket of land here though. I'm running around 4C colder at night than the coast 9km away and 5C warmer during the day than the coast. December is so far giving me 10.3C min to 25.5C max on average. This morning was cold at 5.3C min and mist around the place. Back up to 19C and 95% RH at 7am though. I reckon we'll hit 30C today.