• Similar Content

• GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Was weeding off the front edge of my ground level deck and found this:

Really surprised me…can only be one of two kinds…a Sabal minor or a Butia catarinensis…it is most likely the Butia because I tried sprouting some seeds I ordered about a year ago with the bag method and they all molded…I tossed everything off the deck in that area and considered it a lost cause. If it is that, I’d be shocked because the seed made it through winter in dirt that gets no sun at all in winter to warm the soil. The sun, of course, drops on the horizon and this part of the yard, right off the deck gets shaded by the house the entire season. I did work with some Sabal minor seeds about 3 or 4 years ago but manually planted the extra seeds in the dirt to see if anything would come up…never saw any of those germinate. I do have some Sabal minors that I planted after they sprouted in pots and they are fine and in the ground for about two years. This surprise sprout is very thin and the Sabal straps, though older now, are much wider. Anybody with experience here? Could it be that, despite the conditions, the Butia sprouted?? Would be great if it did. It has literally been in total shade since it hit the dirt…the stuff on the deck has been shading it since it sprouted. Guess I should acclimate it slowly to a full sun location. I tried to get as much root as I could…hope digging it up didn’t hurt it…
    • teddytn
      By teddytn
      May be a good topic to touch on, at least in the U.S. temps are on the rise!  New to planting palms or an old head that maybe just planted a palm for the first time in a few years, good to touch on the basics. Any palm Sabal family, windmill family, butia, Jubaea etc etc. summer is when we can make up for some winter damage, setback, or at least slow down. What’s everyone’s watering schedule look like? 
    • teddytn
      By teddytn
      Started a yard thread last year in worldwide palms. Everything I grow is cold hardy lol, more appropriate section  
      ***There’s more than just palms here, what you will see is raw garden footage and pics, I’m not going to weed or sweep or hide stuff that’s normally out***
    • teddytn
      By teddytn
      Dwarf sabal minor, 19” tall. There’s 4 flower stalks at various stages of development Sabal minor mccurtain, first time flowering. I can stand on the upper bed to the left and the flower stalk is over my head, it’s easily 8’ tall now. 2 flower stalks Sabal Birmingham 3rd year flowering, 3 flower stalks, same every year so far always 3
    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Went to Home Depot to get deck sealer and saw a “Pindo” palm…grower from FL. It was $70.00 in what looked like a 2 gal. pot. I’m in 7a/b…NOVA…and as tempted as I was, I said no. In fact, I told myself that’s not why I went anyway. I’d love to have a feather leaf type palm in my little environ here but I know, even in our best winters, they won’t survive without massive protection…but it really gets tempting to give it one more try, which indicates past failure even under protection. Any suggestions for a butia (spell check turned butia into BURIAL ) that may do well with minimal protection? I see people on this forum in NC with variations on the butia theme and they seem to do very well…even though they seem to suffer colder vortex type arctic blasts as the frigid winter air gets funneled down the Blue Ridge mountain chain. Any hope out there? Got a prime spot that would get all the sun has to offer in the winter…just wondering. Love the palms I’ve been growing since 2014 but the selection is getting stale. Seems agaves and now cold hardiest mangaves are beginning to take up more space. Again, I couldn’t be happier with the cold hardy troopers I have. I added another Trachy F. to the backyard zone, however…