IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

We have a shed - and it's legal!

PalmatierMeg

Only in Cape Coral.... Big Box stores legally can sell plastic storage sheds but city code forbids residents from putting one on their property because none can pass hurricane code. If people do Code Enforcement officers may fine them and order them to get rid of the illegal shed. Still, that doesn't stop people from plopping said sheds on their lots. So, why didn't we? Well, we have an anonymous neighbor who turned us in to Code Enforcement for running a commercial nursery (we don't) because we have so many plants, having too many pots & trays, etc.

But the Cape recently passed an ordinance that allows a shed up to 160sf if it can pass Miami-Dade hurricane code. You can't buy such a thing at the local big box. But Superior Sheds in east Fort Myers builds them to order and to code. First, we had to combine our garden lot and home lot into one 0.61 acre eden. Then we had to submit plans of our shed to city examiners for approval. Then we pulled our permit and ordered it. We outlined a space at the rear of our garden lot and waited 10 working days for delivery. It arrived last Wednesday, along with 4 unanticipated truckfuls of free wood chip mulch. Part of meeting hurricane code includes anchoring all four corners of our shed deep into the ground so it's there to stay. The city also requires us to plant rows of shrubs to shield our shed from the eyes of passersby even though we already have scores of palms and flowering trees. So thoughtful.

Below is our legal, code-friendly 10 x 16 shed. My husband looks forward to reclaiming the garage.

post-1349-0-59230100-1416880227_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-31794900-1416880302_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-46060400-1416880376_thumb.jp

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

That's a beauty, Meg. Is it aluminum?

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Looks like it has a ridge vent? Good thinking on that one.

I will hide in my completely illegal shed because the building code here is ridiculous.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Thanks. It is aluminum and has a ridge vent. We ordered large windows installed high on each end - I need as much light as possible to see what's in there. We plan on installing window tinting after it passes inspection Dec 1 so snoops can't see in. I chose the color scheme to make it as unobtrusive as possible.

Meg

Florida

That is a very pretty shed.

when I built my house condition of approval was to plant my western boundary with trees. I did and my neighbour wants them dead and is systematically poisoning them. Oh well they seem to like palm trees.

Only in Cape Coral.... Big Box stores legally can sell plastic storage sheds but city code forbids residents from putting one on their property because none can pass hurricane code. If people do Code Enforcement officers may fine them and order them to get rid of the illegal shed. Still, that doesn't stop people from plopping said sheds on their lots. So, why didn't we? Well, we have an anonymous neighbor who turned us in to Code Enforcement for running a commercial nursery (we don't) because we have so many plants, having too many pots & trays, etc.

But the Cape recently passed an ordinance that allows a shed up to 160sf if it can pass Miami-Dade hurricane code. You can't buy such a thing at the local big box. But Superior Sheds in east Fort Myers builds them to order and to code. First, we had to combine our garden lot and home lot into one 0.61 acre eden. Then we had to submit plans of our shed to city examiners for approval. Then we pulled our permit and ordered it. We outlined a space at the rear of our garden lot and waited 10 working days for delivery. It arrived last Wednesday, along with 4 unanticipated truckfuls of free wood chip mulch. Part of meeting hurricane code includes anchoring all four corners of our shed deep into the ground so it's there to stay. The city also requires us to plant rows of shrubs to shield our shed from the eyes of passersby even though we already have scores of palms and flowering trees. So thoughtful.

Below is our legal, code-friendly 10 x 16 shed. My husband looks forward to reclaiming the garage.

Look at all those windows. I'll bet its more of a haven for your palms during cold spells. Did you run any power for a heater, or just going to run an extension cord. :winkie:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

No power. Cape Coral considers any shed to be an assault on the discriminating eyes of the public and insists on specific screening: shrubs at least 32" tall that reach 6-8' later, planted 3' on center on any side facing a city street (north and west for us as our lot is on a corner). Never mind the ghastly erector set LCEC has planned across the street.

Meg

Florida

Nice shed!

And, it won't become a missile in the next 'cane!

Shrubbery barrier? Vacant lots here have to have screens and shrubbery around them. Yours is so pretty it won't need that!

I'm going to build me a Santa Ana Shed in my backyard! :)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Isn't it fun dealing with the city...

So, technically, as long as your shrubs were 32" tall, you would be in compliance; All while having the ability to easily circumvent the code as it's intent is for the shrubs to be 6 - 8 feet tall.

Edited by Sabal Steve

do you plan on germination in the shed??

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24