IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tree I.D. needed

Walt

Can anyone tell me what species of tree this is and anything about it? The tree is in S.E. Florida, zone 10b area.

Here's an overall view:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2426974460042496162szKPis

This photo shows some fruit clusters. I was sent these photos and didn't personally see the tree myself, hence I can't offer any more specifics. However, I figure anyone familiar with this species would know what this tree is by the leaves shape and fruits, etc.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2629234140042496162jAGqzK

Mad about palms

Looks like Bischofia.  I am terrible with picture IDs though.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

(Jerry@TreeZoo @ Mar. 15 2007,19:13)

Looks like Bischofia.  I am terrible with picture IDs though.

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry. I Googled Bischofia and got leaf and fruit photos. That's what the tree appears to be.

Walt

Mad about palms

Wow, great guess.  I have a toog tree and wouldn't have guessed it from those pictures.  I was stumped looking at them yesterday, thinking maybe Wampi or Spanish Lime, but couldn't really tell from those pictures, plus they wouldn't be fruiting this time of year.  Good job.

Central Florida, 28.42N 81.18W, Elev. 14m

Zone 9b

Summers 33/22C, Winters 22/10C Record Low -7C

Rain 6cm - 17cm/month with wet summers 122cm annually

I agree its Bischofia javanica. Toog is a great tree but highly invasive in SoFL. Up here we have 2 big, old specimens that have been here for decades and never had a probelm with seedlings. Ours gets fruit and a few seedlings underneath but they aren't popping up everywhere or in the neighbors. Both of these trees had virtually no damage after the 3 hurricanes of 2004, just some leaves and a few twigs.

We planted a couple specimens of B. polycarpa, a similar tree from Japan. Supposed to be hardy into 7b/8a.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I understand that the male trees are not a big problem.  The females are very prolific and seedlings pop up everywhere.  Even if you cut the trees down they spring up from the stump.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

(Eric in Orlando @ Mar. 17 2007,06:13)

I agree its Bischofia javanica. Toog is a great tree but highly invasive in SoFL. Up here we have 2 big, old specimens that have been here for decades and never had a probelm with seedlings. Ours gets fruit and a few seedlings underneath but they aren't popping up everywhere or in the neighbors. Both of these trees had virtually no damage after the 3 hurricanes of 2004, just some leaves and a few twigs.

We planted a couple specimens of B. polycarpa, a similar tree from Japan. Supposed to be hardy into 7b/8a.

I saw one at Animal Kingdon at WDW a few weeks ago. There  are some here in San Diego (I know of one for sure in Balboa Park) but they are not invasive here...as a matter of fact, they are listed in the book "Ornamental Trees of San Diego".

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

(Eric in Orlando @ Mar. 17 2007,07:13)

Hey Eric- Got any sources for that polycarpa one?

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Yea, their a real mess out here in west Broward where I live. Every spring, I get hundreds of seedlings pop up from the birds spreading their seed. :angry: And it takes 2-3 passes over of round-up to kill them!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.