lioril

Coconut Madness In ISRAEL !!!

bubba

32.7 is quite good. Still cannot get Dennis in SA to post the alleged coconut at 34 plus in Port Elizabeth, SA. I believe Bermuda is 32N and it is rocking with 50 footers full of coconuts. Maderia Islands seem to be leader in the clubhouse if the La Quinta coconut has become suspicious...

Lior_Gal
On 2/17/2019 at 10:46 AM, Palmolive said:

Some additional coconut palms in Eilat.

The small one is in the Dolphin reef. There are some other small ones there as well. 

The tall one is supposedly 15-20 years old, came from Thailand and found in the botanical garden. It has given fruit according to the staff.

No protection is given to any of them.

156670670_Image2018-10-052.jpeg.c794c2ee89e63101af269c58b008eecb.jpeg

1608543325_Image2018-10-051.jpeg.81832a67bd8b7ad972ed259aee647a8b.jpeg

Hello there,

Amazing pics, Did you took them ? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Palmolive
On 10/27/2019 at 6:13 AM, Lior_Gal said:

Hello there,

Amazing pics, Did you took them 

Hi Lior, thanks, yes, have taken these recently

• Like 2

GottmitAlex

Hello Lior, how are your cocos doing?

• Like 1

Neil C

The first palm taken at Dolphin reef is not a coconut but a Majestic palm.

Regards Neil 

• Like 1

Lior_Gal
6 hours ago, Palmolive said:

Hi Lior, thanks, yes, have taken these recently

Nice work Ariel,

I haven’t seen that tall Coco in the dolphin reef that you caught in the pic, I wasn’t even aware of it’s existence it seems much healthier then its neighbor that was planted on the shore, I do believe their story of getting fruits out of it is reasonable, since the one coco that Hannan grows and i showed a proof of it fruiting, was in a much more erid place then the one on the reef that enjoy a higher humidity levels thanks to its proximity to the beach, If i was the meneger i would place a vapor sprinkler near by to elevate it’s humidity 

the other tall coco pic that you took is pretty amazing too, so it seems that there are more coconuts in israel then it meets the eyE

• Like 1

Lior_Gal
5 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Hey Alex, how are you my friend ?

my cocos are fine, My second experiment of planting in my friends orchard had failed again but now we finally figured out why we fu** it all up... It was unprotected from southern winds. The cold wasn’t the issue my solution “Banana wall” to block the winds, and extra cover for the first winter in the soil. (The cocos in the pic are both R.I.P) they died last winter but I planted the new ones exactly at the same spot cause i find it to be the most well protected place in the orchard, especially now when the southern winds problem is all taken care of now we 

will have to wait and see  

A673EA42-117B-4AAB-85B1-EC7CFAA0640B.jpeg

08649844-011B-49B9-B30A-7BC44C63EB79.jpeg

31FD6C65-ABE2-4BB3-B160-C641C86C7C55.jpeg

D2ACA366-FC63-48A7-A884-9F9844194A2D.jpeg

0AB3C6CC-4986-4C11-943C-0D3752BA665E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lior_Gal
6 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

As for the rest...still in pots, My dwarf Acai

are doing well, i love em so much they are cute, I have 2 Cocoa trees left and im gonna watch them carefully this year.  Here are some pics, Enjoy.

72D64041-07FA-45EB-BE84-2004428FD0CE.jpeg

0EF37261-7274-41CF-859A-0B0B3C0DDA39.jpeg

859C42A0-E27D-4330-BDFA-5191B84C199A.jpeg

16EB46ED-3B69-401B-8EAB-3122A9D3EF40.jpeg

BE5E20AF-160E-4DBA-87F8-352C9A692549.jpeg

07F2270F-1D79-446E-81E7-FC5598C8499D.jpeg

17DF096F-2A7D-4474-AC14-C0F14EE1113D.jpeg

A099F3F9-E75A-4FC7-B29F-66C1059EE984.jpeg

E9BDBA60-8C29-4C76-80D3-BCD182430679.jpeg

370EAC38-4E10-471B-9708-519AEE518CD2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Lior_Gal

Stelios my dear friend 

how are you and how’s your coco? 

• Like 1

Stelios

Hi Lior! Is so great to see the update of your palms. So sorry that you lost a couple of them but I believe you will have a success with the others.

My palm was recovering in the summer after the past winter. The rainiest in the last 50 years. Here in this topic I decribe how I let the palm even without the partial side protection after the 15 of January, when a strong wind destroyed it. It was exposed to the elements and the palm almost didn't make it because of fongus. What I noticed is that the new fronds that opened before winter are the most cold sensitive. The older fronds had less damage from the cold.

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/58897-update-of-my-coconut-in-cyprus/

From now on the palm will stay unprotected and we'll see how long it will survive! I also wanted to focus on growing new palms that are not so cold sensitive. Here are some photos. The first photo is from 5 of July and the others are taken today.

1166728234_2019-07-0308_44_20.jpg.thumb.jpg.d6f39541efda8b3c491e29880a799ca9.jpg

2019-10-29 16.03.00.jpg

2019-10-29 16.02.32.jpg

2019-10-29 16.03.32.jpg

Edited by Stelios
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Lior_Gal

I see it had a rough winter, The only coco palm that made it through winter totally exposed was the hawaiian tall that  i gave to a friend about 25 minutes from tel aviv but it was planted in a highly protected spot and my friend built for it an extra protection wooden fence

before winter i always give my cocos anti fungi treatment you should do it too, we both chose dwarf varieties and the slow groth rate is not an advantage wherewe live, the hawaiian grows very fast and build up a robust trunk in third year so that makes a major difference 

the pics are of hawaiian tall at my friends place after one year in the ground, 4 meters tall, when i look at mine i feel i wanna cry .... damn it...next summer im getting new hawaiians 

37168240-0215-48BD-B7C6-DD2B8E705E67.jpeg

678EB83F-A9D0-49F9-8E11-C22F629E0003.jpeg

D2938358-4343-4914-B48F-2E570BFB90F3.jpeg

61AB097A-E360-4866-964C-22082A7D1BFC.jpeg

24BB1224-168A-4E9D-A74E-7D5D3E9B07DB.jpeg

Edited by Lior_Gal
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Stelios

Hi Lior. Thanks for the advice. I should use the anti fungi next time. I don't want to have many cold sensitive palms here but I am saving one spot in the garden near the house which it should have a good microclimate for a green tall variety. It will be my only other cocos attempt. It's just not easy to find one here. My only other difficult palm is the elaeis oleifera. It's more exposed and without protection. It seems a bit more hardy than cocos and it will have the cocos look when it will grow. It passed the second winter with some serious leave burn being so exposed, but always recovers fast.

• Like 2

Lior_Gal

Taken today at my friends orchard 

the new planted coco (didnt took a pic of his brother that was planted in april right next to him)

69E681F6-FD08-4A49-8996-4CD52F6A040F.jpeg

54B7F60E-FB0A-4733-8AED-EA6C2810323C.jpeg

F5F06D4B-F336-404E-A7AA-4B4C8CEBB3D5.jpeg

F773B433-E84C-4A27-8501-3760645378B0.jpeg

7D406E2B-CEF2-4DF6-BD8C-7B57FB36E72D.jpeg

11F5BFD3-7CD2-48B3-AF4A-6D785744AB94.jpeg

227A8ECB-E377-4E78-81F5-0E297EC2D294.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Getta Robo

Hey Lior its so good to see you back!

Thumbs up for your green wall of bananas. A well establish orchard seems a good idea as a protection for your cocos and tropical plants in general.

Now, since palms are needy in nitrogen, I suggest you to consider planting some evergreen perennial companion trees and bushes. There's an excellent video for Mediterranean climate ones here:

In addition to the above, Elaeagnus umbellata is also an exceptional wind breaker and nitrogen fixing plant. People have been using its numerous properties, honey, fruit and the previous ones I mentioned.

By the way, I'm not sure if that burn on your palm leaves are from chloride. Its a very common issue here at least, since our tap water contains high concentrations, which leads to chloride toxicity to numerous plants. Be careful is your water is also high in chloride!

Can't wait to see your next update, be well Lior!

Edited by Getta Robo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lior_Gal
18 hours ago, Getta Robo said:

Hey Lior its so good to see you back!

Thumbs up for your green wall of bananas. A well establish orchard seems a good idea as a protection for your cocos and tropical plants in general.

Now, since palms are needy in nitrogen, I suggest you to consider planting some evergreen perennial companion trees and bushes. There's an excellent video for Mediterranean climate ones here:

In addition to the above, Elaeagnus umbellata is also an exceptional wind breaker and nitrogen fixing plant. People have been using its numerous properties, honey, fruit and the previous ones I mentioned.

By the way, I'm not sure if that burn on your palm leaves are from chloride. Its a very common issue here at least, since our tap water contains high concentrations, which leads to chloride toxicity to numerous plants. Be careful is your water is also high in chloride!

Can't wait to see your next update, be well Lior!

Hey again my friend good to hear from

you too, Thank you for the advice, i do know that palms needs well fertilized soil, the orchard is all watered and fertilzed throughout its irrigation system the fertilizer is organic and collected from a bat cave (guano) that is located a few meters away above the orchard so all the trees are getting the best fertilizer ever, in the orchard there are more than 230 different tropical fruit trees and 35 different banana varieties, its an amazing place to be in i will take a few videos next time ill be there

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lior_Gal

Hello Dear Friends, 

It's that time of year again, The days are getting colder here in Tel-Aviv, Israel. 

It has been below 13 c  for 2 days in a row, and for me that's a wake up call to 

get my Coco and Dwarf Acai sprouts indoors, I will do another planting attempt next spring but 

this time I have learned my lesson from last year, and I will succeed for sure, 

For the first year in the ground the coco has to be protected from the elements 

till it has well established root system going, Mine didn't died, I accidentally killed

it since i thought it died during spring time...But anyways, Next spring we'll have 

a fresh new start with more robust variety "Pacific Tall",  I had a few Hawaiian talls 

back then, But I was afraid to "Sacrifice" them and plant them in the ground, 

Then I figured that I was totally wrong for not doing so, Since the one Hawaiian tall

that I gave to my friend is growing rapidly and its about 5 meters tall today, it's about

it's 3rd year in the ground right now....Now I have only dwarf varieties such as:

Green Fragrant, King Coconut, and 2 Malayan Green Dwarfs that I already Planted in 

the ground it's my second attempt with them, but they are located in my friends orchard

I did protect them this time, But now I'm gonna use Sulfur product to kill all fungi that 

may appear in the root system due to wet soil. I'm also gonna reduce the watering dramatically 

the Malayan greens are gonna be fully covered for the next 2 years at least during the winter in a mini 

greenhouse that i created above them, Lets hope for good.

My Home Tropical Rain Forest ! :-P 

home rainforest.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

sandgroper

Good luck with it mate, I hope you have success with growing these coconuts. I covered my golden Malay dwarf  with a mini greenhouse for the first few years until it outgrew the greenhouse. Today it comes out of winter looking pretty rough but it always bounces back and is now above the roof of the house.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Getta Robo

Best of luck for your amazing efforts Lior, please do keep us informed with your progress!

Edited by Getta Robo
  • Like 1

Lior_Gal

Hello Dear Friends, 

I will need your Assistance, Should i be Worried about the following symptoms in my coco sprouts ? 

Please let me know, I have been growing and sprouting coco palms for more then 5 years now, Never

seen this before, Patterns of yellowish stains on a young newborn leaf, then I've seen the same pattern

on my Kind coconut sprout, then also on my Pacific tall....

Waiting for your expert advice. 

best regards,

Lior.

Coco1.jpg

coco2.jpg

coco3.jpg

coco4.jpg

coco6.jpg

coco7.jpg

• Upvote 1

Lior_Gal

at the third pic i just uploaded there was also a very healthy sprout in a gray pot, 

the "infected" Coconut with the nacrotic patterns was right next to it, and now i see

that it has a little yellow stain, even though it can be hardly noticed, and also its a very

young leaf, even though knowing that new leafs can be lighter green until it becomes 

darker when it gets older, but i find this yellow spon on it's base concerning...

should i wait with the dooms day prophacies ?

coco3.jpg

Lior_Gal

Does anyone has an idea ?

Stelios
On 4/28/2020 at 3:20 PM, Lior_Gal said:

Does anyone has an idea ?

Hi Lior. Without to be sure just from the photos, I think most important is the new spear. If it doesn't appear to have some serious rot then I believe the palms should be fine especially now with the temps are rising. I also had different issues with my palm when it was still in the pot. Even after in the ground at the end of every winter. It was always some nutrient deficiency or cold damage.

Keep us updated.

Best regards

Stelios

• Like 1

GottmitAlex
On 4/27/2020 at 7:54 AM, Lior_Gal said:

Hello Dear Friends, 

I will need your Assistance, Should i be Worried about the following symptoms in my coco sprouts ? 

Please let me know, I have been growing and sprouting coco palms for more then 5 years now, Never

seen this before, Patterns of yellowish stains on a young newborn leaf, then I've seen the same pattern

on my Kind coconut sprout, then also on my Pacific tall....

Waiting for your expert advice. 

best regards,

Lior.

Ok, First of all, can you give us a little background? Were these cocos indoor for winter and now outside?

Please expound on the problem.

Thank you

jbselco1

Lior have you joined this group on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1542448719316364/?ref=share